Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > LC9 Range Time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 01:52 AM   #11
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2068 Times on 1426 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk
Thanks for all the feedback Guys! I have yet to fire Defensive rounds through it, as money is tight. However, I will do that at the earliest possible time. I want to make sure that JHP rounds feed and fire without issues. I make no excuses for my lack of initial range time, as was mentioned. Thank you for not giving me too hard of a time about it. I'll keep you guys posted about my future with this gun.

Drawing from a holster and shooting at 21 feet without sights was mentioned. The range near me does not allow unholstering to shoot. The gun can come out of the holster only initially. I'm kind of limited with my range options near me.
I also wrote a review on the LC9 here on the site a few months back. Yours was very good. When I bought mine last spring, they were not including the takedown tool. I had to buy that on it's own,..but Mine came with two mags (they were doing that at the time).
So far I have found only 4 Brands of SD rounds that do not 'Hang" up the action after 4-7 rounds during the course of our testing.
I know,..this is expensive to do, but if not me, then who?

I used 5 different 9mm's for the testing: Ruger LC9(3-1/8th" barrel) Ruger SR9(4-1/8") S&W 569(4") and 2 "92's" a Beretta & a Taurus,..(around 5")

The Hornady Critical Defense....IMHO,..(and I'm Not Jeff Cooper, Elmer Keith, Mas Ayoob, just a Guy who has been shooting on & off for almost 45 Years)..THIS is the Best SD ammo to come on the Market since the MagTech's 15+ years ago.
I managed to get 125 rds. of this last year (50 in 38 & 75 in 9mm) and grabbed some more a few weeks back(50 more 9mm)
so I was able to shoot 50 rds. of this between the 5 9mm's i'm testing with. While this is not the full review,..I will post as many of the pics as I can at that time. I will say that at 4 yards(12 feet), 7 yards(21 feet), & 10 yards(30 feet), The Critical Defense gave the tightest grouping(7/8ths of an inch at 4 yards, 1 inch at 7 yards, and less then 1.5 inches at 10 yards.

The Speer Gold Dot....The Golds have been around for well over 15 years also, but although the Gold dots had better expansion then most of the other brands, the groupings in the shorter tubes were wider by almost an inch. Still,..they are a bit less costly then the Hornady & Remington's Golden Sabers, which we also tested, but did not fare as well in 9mm as I expected, comparing them to
their offering in 38+P. For the list price, stick with the lesser cost LAWMAN ammo from Speer...

The Dynamic Research Technologies Frangibile.....These rounds have great "Shock-power," but we could not get a tight group no matter what we did with these rounds. Still,..I ordered 60 more rounds for myself, Because in the longer barreled guns the groups
were better, if still not as "tight" as I wanted.

The Finnocchi XTP(both Weights-115Gr. JHP & 124Gr. JHP) This Ammo surprised me the most,..for the cost($16 for 25 rds.) This is well designed, and properly seated & "charged" while the groups were still wider then the Hornadys', Expansion was well balanced, and Energy was off the chart!

The full review is still a few weeks away, but will also contain 38/357(for comparison), 40S&W, 45ACP, and I believe also 357SIG.
Aside from Paper & Flat reactive(shoot n C) targets shot indoors, we also shot Outdoors at 10 yards with Bowling Pins & Watermelons placed on a 3ft high table on level ground. Special thanks to TekGreg for his help in testing at his end,..and to my Pal Lyle, an OEF & IEF vet, who is not a member here yet but maybe soon.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

MoHawk Likes This 
Old 09-21-2013, 02:03 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

NO problems with my LC9. Great piece to drop in a front pocket holster while walking the dog. Sure as heck beats the .380 I used to have.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nraforlife
NO problems with my LC9. Great piece to drop in a front pocket holster while walking the dog. Sure as heck beats the .380 I used to have.
No Doubt, but some folks(like my wife) can't handle the recoil of the 9 in a small gun. We're in process of finding her a 380 for her handbag. even the FEG 32 is too big for the "Holster" pocket of the "Cowgirl Bag" we got her for our annv. I'm thinking a Kahr or something such sized,..also the NAA is small enough.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 09-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #14

Liked 157 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
No Doubt, but some folks(like my wife) can't handle the recoil of the 9 in a small gun. We're in process of finding her a 380 for her handbag. even the FEG 32 is too big for the "Holster" pocket of the "Cowgirl Bag" we got her for our annv. I'm thinking a Kahr or something such sized,..also the NAA is small enough.
Consider the Ruger LCP! Great shooter for the size!

Old 09-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

Consider the Ruger LCP! Great shooter for the size!
LCP is also (a) nice little shooter,..but the slide is stiff, not unlike my LC9. It's no issue for me, but some with hand strength issues like my wife, can not handle it. The new LC380 touts itself as a much lighter tensioned slide...having shot one, I can agree where that version is better on older folks and those with hand issues...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #16

Liked 448 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

The 380 has WAY more kick than the 9mm, at least in the Ruger LC package

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.wfo4life.com

Old 09-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #17

Quote:
The 380 has WAY more kick than the 9mm, at least in the Ruger LC package
You sure you don't mean that the other way around?

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #18

Liked 448 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

Positive. My LC9 kicks... a bit. But nothing serious. The LCP, as well as the 380 Bodyguard which I shot at the same time as my 9mm, were HAND CANNONS! Horrible kick.

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.wfo4life.com

Old 09-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Positive. My LC9 kicks... a bit. But nothing serious. The LCP, as well as the 380 Bodyguard which I shot at the same time as my 9mm, were HAND CANNONS! Horrible kick.
Which is what My Wife is up against when shooting any Sm.-Med. Auto because of her Carpal Tunnel. She got a new Brace for her shooting hand(right) so she can continue to learn Cowgirl Action shooting, as she's being trained locally by a family that lives lhere but travels the west to shoot in matches. I'm also learning "Wild Bunch" from them, so I have to get a stock 1911(none of mine are stock any longer) for matches...Been looking over Springfield & Rock Island, and also saw a few used older Stock Colt 1911's....
"But Doc. you don't shoot 45 anymore!" My Bullet Guy finally got around to making me 250 reduced 45 loads for practice/competition,..so I shot 35 through my Commander, and it wasn't any worse pain wise the day after,..But I still find 9mm much easier to tolerate then 45....in any sized Gun, but esp. the compact/sub-compact Guns. my old smith 439 Bites a little also....
2 380's I noticed that barely jump at all are the SIG 238 & the Ruger LC380....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.

Last edited by DrFootball; 09-25-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #20

Liked 3564 Times on 2219 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Which is what My Wife is up against when shooting any Sm.-Med. Auto because of her Carpal Tunnel. She got a new Brace for her shooting hand(right) so she can continue to learn Cowgirl Action shooting, as she's being trained locally by a family that lives lhere but travels the west to shoot in matches. I'm also learning "Wild Bunch" from them, so I have to get a stock 1911(none of mine are stock any longer) for matches...Been looking over Springfield & Rock Island, and also saw a few used older Stock Colt 1911's....
"But Doc. you don't shoot 45 anymore!" My Bullet Guy finally got around to making me 250 reduced 45 loads for practice/competition,..so I shot 35 through my Commander, and it wasn't any worse pain wise the day after,..But I still find 9mm much easier to tolerate then 45....in any sized Gun, but esp. the compact/sub-compact Guns. my old smith 439 Bites a little also....
2 380's I noticed that barely jump at all are the SIG 238 & the Ruger LC380....
Doc, I'd really like to get into "Wild Bunch." I think it would be a lot of fun. Cowboy stuff too, would be awesome.

Always have clean socks.