LC9 Range Time
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > LC9 Range Time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1621

Default LC9 Range Time

Hello Everyone. My name is Jeffrey and I'd like to tell you about my Ruger LC9 and a bit about our first trip to the local indoor range.

I have always been a Ruger fan. I used to own an LCR, that I purchased as soon as they came out, in .38SPL. I had an initial issue with the timing on my LCR, but it was immediately taken care of by Ruger. Their customer service is second to none. This is why I decided to purchase another Ruger.

When my tax return came in, in early March, I went out and purchased an LC9 after looking at numerous different handguns in this particular segment. I instantly fell in love with the LC9. I will admit, if I had shopped around more, I probably could have found a better deal, since I paid $414. However, I am not upset at the price I paid.

Now, I am a little ashamed to admit that I purchased my LC9 in March, and did not fire it until August 31st! !! I know, I am a horrible gun owner. I got so busy with school, work, and getting ready for a baby, that I could never seem to find the time for a trip to the range.

I have a few holsters for my LC9, but the majority of the time, I conceal with the help of my Keyhole Holsters Mini Complete Concealment Kydex holster. It is an IWB holster that uses leather as well as Kydex. Keyhole removed an entire inch of leather from the lower portion of the holster. Some like this, some do not. I LOVE this holster. It is super comfortable, and was made quickly. Keyhole Holsters is a veteran owned business which is a big deal to me. I also use an Uncle Mike's IWB and a DeSantis Tuckable.

My Ruger, is 100% stock, just as it came from the factory. The only addition I have made, is a Hogue Grip Sleeve. AS many of you know, Hogue makes a phenomenal product, and I wouldn't use any other product in its place. Eventually, I'd like to add some Firesights.

Anywho, I was finally able to get away and take my baby to the firing range. As many of you know, the Ruger LC9 is a Micro 9mm that holds 7 rounds in the magazine and 1 in the pipe. I always carry it with 8 rounds, however, at the range, I only load the magazine when I shoot. So, I shot 7 rounds between reloads. Also, I currently only have 1 magazine.

I am not a sniper, or a competition shooter. I am an average, law abiding citizen that carries a firearm for protection. I do not train at any ridiculous distances while at the range. I normally put the target 7 yards (21 feet) away from me. Occasionally, I set the target 15 yards (45 feet) away. This particular trip to the range, I set the target 7 yards away.

My first 7 rounds, of Federal 135 grain Ammunition, all ended up in a 3 inch group in the dead center of the target. The "10pt Zone" if you will. I was SERIOUSLY impressed with this little gun. I'm not perfect with it yet, nor do I have expect to be 100% in the same hole, every time. However, I am more than confident that the LC9 is a reliable (I shot 150 rounds with ZERO issues. Many more to come before it's even broken in.), 9mm that can easily fit into my pocket. I trust that I can hit an intended target on a regular basis.

Like I said before, I am not an officer of the law, or a sniper, or a competition shooter, or any thing like that. I am an average Joe that lawfully carries a gun to protect myself and my family. Please take this write up at face value.

I have included 2 pictures. One of the target after the 1st 7 rounds were shot. The other is a collage of the holster, the LC9, and shows how well it conceals.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

AND THE COMPLAINT: Ok, I have but one complaint. When you field strip the LC9 for cleaning, you have to push out a little retaining bar. I'm not sure of the technical name. It comes out easily enough, and goes back together easily enough, but the fact that I need a tool to dismantle the LC9 bothers me a little. That's it. That's my only complaint on an otherwise stellar weapon!

ruger-2.jpg   ruger.jpg  

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 539 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Wait, so were you carrying a gun that you had never fired?

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 09-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
Wait, so were you carrying a gun that you had never fired?
Yes Sir. I was. Not a wise choice, but I never claimed to be smart.

Quote:
Quote:

www.loryno.com

Old 09-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 539 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Yeah. Definitely not something I would do but to each his own. Personally I run about 100 rounds through my new ones and then a whole box of my chosen defensive loads before I feel good and it has saved me from possibly having real problems.

I found that my new Sig P238 hates Gold Dot ammo, jams about 50%. Thus, I haven't been able to carry that gun until I can find somebody who has Hornady Critical Defense .380 in stock.

Anyways, glad you like your new gun. Your target looks good.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 09-05-2013, 04:34 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

I think this is the best pocket gun EVER! I love how detailed your post is. And I also like that you added pictures. It is always a good idea to test a gun before you carry it, but I am glad to see you made no excuses and didnt get upset when someone pointed it out. Thanks for including us in your trip to the range. I hope you have many more and that they are all as enjoyable as this one was.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-05-2013 at 04:47 AM.
MoHawk Likes This 
Old 09-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Good review. I'm glad you enjoy your gun. I'm also glad you have been able to shoot it.

I held an LC9 a month or two ago at a LGS and it didn't fit my hand very well. I wouldn't mind shooting one and seeing if its any better, because I like the idea of a very small pocket 9mm. Others I'm looking at are the Sig P938 and the Diamondback DB9. The DB9 might be a little smaller than the LC9, I'm not sure.

I digress. This post isn't about my wants. I'm glad you enjoy it. Thanks for the thorough review.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #7

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk
Hello Everyone. My name is Jeffrey and I'd like to tell you about my Ruger LC9 and a bit about our first trip to the local indoor range.

I have always been a Ruger fan. I used to own an LCR, that I purchased as soon as they came out, in .38SPL. I had an initial issue with the timing on my LCR, but it was immediately taken care of by Ruger. Their customer service is second to none. This is why I decided to purchase another Ruger.

When my tax return came in, in early March, I went out and purchased an LC9 after looking at numerous different handguns in this particular segment. I instantly fell in love with the LC9. I will admit, if I had shopped around more, I probably could have found a better deal, since I paid $414. However, I am not upset at the price I paid.

Now, I am a little ashamed to admit that I purchased my LC9 in March, and did not fire it until August 31st! !! I know, I am a horrible gun owner. I got so busy with school, work, and getting ready for a baby, that I could never seem to find the time for a trip to the range.

I have a few holsters for my LC9, but the majority of the time, I conceal with the help of my Keyhole Holsters Mini Complete Concealment Kydex holster. It is an IWB holster that uses leather as well as Kydex. Keyhole removed an entire inch of leather from the lower portion of the holster. Some like this, some do not. I LOVE this holster. It is super comfortable, and was made quickly. Keyhole Holsters is a veteran owned business which is a big deal to me. I also use an Uncle Mike's IWB and a DeSantis Tuckable.

My Ruger, is 100% stock, just as it came from the factory. The only addition I have made, is a Hogue Grip Sleeve. AS many of you know, Hogue makes a phenomenal product, and I wouldn't use any other product in its place. Eventually, I'd like to add some Firesights.

Anywho, I was finally able to get away and take my baby to the firing range. As many of you know, the Ruger LC9 is a Micro 9mm that holds 7 rounds in the magazine and 1 in the pipe. I always carry it with 8 rounds, however, at the range, I only load the magazine when I shoot. So, I shot 7 rounds between reloads. Also, I currently only have 1 magazine.

I am not a sniper, or a competition shooter. I am an average, law abiding citizen that carries a firearm for protection. I do not train at any ridiculous distances while at the range. I normally put the target 7 yards (21 feet) away from me. Occasionally, I set the target 15 yards (45 feet) away. This particular trip to the range, I set the target 7 yards away.

My first 7 rounds, of Federal 135 grain Ammunition, all ended up in a 3 inch group in the dead center of the target. The "10pt Zone" if you will. I was SERIOUSLY impressed with this little gun. I'm not perfect with it yet, nor do I have expect to be 100% in the same hole, every time. However, I am more than confident that the LC9 is a reliable (I shot 150 rounds with ZERO issues. Many more to come before it's even broken in.), 9mm that can easily fit into my pocket. I trust that I can hit an intended target on a regular basis.

Like I said before, I am not an officer of the law, or a sniper, or a competition shooter, or any thing like that. I am an average Joe that lawfully carries a gun to protect myself and my family. Please take this write up at face value.

I have included 2 pictures. One of the target after the 1st 7 rounds were shot. The other is a collage of the holster, the LC9, and shows how well it conceals.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

AND THE COMPLAINT: Ok, I have but one complaint. When you field strip the LC9 for cleaning, you have to push out a little retaining bar. I'm not sure of the technical name. It comes out easily enough, and goes back together easily enough, but the fact that I need a tool to dismantle the LC9 bothers me a little. That's it. That's my only complaint on an otherwise stellar weapon!
Cong on your purchase and success at the range. I owned the LC9, great little gun! I traded it for a little higher capacity gun, that I choose not to name, because of the certain firestorm to follow. But I had no problems with the Ruger. Great CC Weapon.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #8

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I pocket carry my LC9 fairly regularly and I shoot a minimum of 50 rounds through it once per month. I found it necessary to replace the recoil spring and guide rod after 500+ rounds. Also, I had issues with Hornady Critical Defense ammo as the first round did not feed a couple times. I use Hydrashok or Guard Dog now with no feed issues. Very accurate & reliable little gun. I would suggest you practice from the draw @ 21 feet without relying on sights. In a real close-up scenario, you probably won't have time to take aim.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #9

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator
I pocket carry my LC9 fairly regularly and I shoot a minimum of 50 rounds through it once per month. I found it necessary to replace the recoil spring and guide rod after 500+ rounds. Also, I had issues with Hornady Critical Defense ammo as the first round did not feed a couple times. I use Hydrashok or Guard Dog now with no feed issues. Very accurate & reliable little gun. I would suggest you practice from the draw @ 21 feet without relying on sights. In a real close-up scenario, you probably won't have time to take aim.
500 round and replacing parts. Exactly why I traded mine along with the need for more carrying capacity. Your not the first I've heard of premature recoil spring issues from the LC9. It happens, but I pause when I hear problems with guns with less than 5k thousands rounds fired, after 5k you can blame it on wear&tear. Before 5k I blame it faulty or poor manufacturing. Love Ruger though, generally, they make rock solid guns!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #10

Thanks for all the feedback Guys! I have yet to fire Defensive rounds through it, as money is tight. However, I will do that at the earliest possible time. I want to make sure that JHP rounds feed and fire without issues. I make no excuses for my lack of initial range time, as was mentioned. Thank you for not giving me too hard of a time about it. I'll keep you guys posted about my future with this gun.

Drawing from a holster and shooting at 21 feet without sights was mentioned. The range near me does not allow unholstering to shoot. The gun can come out of the holster only initially. I'm kind of limited with my range options near me.

Quote:
Quote:

www.loryno.com