Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > LC380 misfires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default LC380 misfires

I have had an LC380 for about 6 months now and really enjoy shooting it. I took it to the range a couple of weeks ago and it began misfiring. I could hear the click of the hammer but it did not fire. It got to the point where it misfired on every round in the mag. When I inspected the rounds I noticed some of the primers didn't have a mark and others had a very small indent, which is telling me it is a firing pin/light strike issue.

I have shot between 500 -1000 rounds without a problem and so looking for the easiest fix first, I gave it a good cleaning. Took it to the range last night and got through 1 mag, 7 shots without a problem. After that first mag it began misfiring again. I put the misfired rounds back in one by one and they all fired, so I know it is not the rounds. I have also used various manufactures.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? I own 8 Rugers and have been really happy with them. I am going to give Ruger a call tomorrow but was hoping it is something that I may be able to fix without having to send it in.

Thanks,
Ken

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2229 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

kjdeut,

It sounds like you may have some debris in the Firing Pin Channel inside the slide. 500-1000 rounds is a lot of rounds without a gun getting a complete stripped cleaning. If you can not do it I would suggest you take it to a competent gun shop who is recommended by Ruger or someone locally who is competent and preferably who sells and services Ruger products. Since it works periodically that is my take on the issue. Also be sure your slide is going completely into battery when fired or manually closed! Sometimes it is an issue of improper lubrication of the slide rails and other parts. They should look a little wet after lubing them! Good luck and I am sure others here with more experience with Ruger Semis will add to this. But I do know this can happen with any pistol that has the grit in the firing pin channel.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I said it before and so have many others, Ruger has great customer service. I called today about the problem and they are sending out an entire new slide, no charge, so I don't have to send the gun in. Hope this takes care of the issue.

FYI - Cleaning the firing pin channel did not help and the firing pin itself looked fine.

Ken

Old 04-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2825 Times on 1938 Posts
Likes Given: 565

Default LC380 misfires

How did this work out? Did the replacement Slide resolve the issue?

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 04-13-2014, 04:12 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

After putting in the new slide it still misfired. Ended up calling Ruger and sending it in. Turned out it was the mod I put in to shorten the trigger pull. Ruger removed the mod and put new factory parts back in and sent it back to me for No Charge (including the shipping). They even sent back the parts I used to make the modification. I have shoot 2-3 hundred rounds since getting it back without a single problem.
I said it before, Ruger has the best customer service ever and has a dedicated customer with me.

Ken

Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2825 Times on 1938 Posts
Likes Given: 565

they are fantastic!!

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*