Just picked up the SR22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > Just picked up the SR22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2033 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default Just picked up the SR22

Here she is, alongside her 'Big Brother'. Shot 100 or so rounds at the range at lunchtime today, what a completely fun and dependable gun. Trainer? Yeah maybe, but I think more it's a shooter. Eats everything, and the only jam I had was magazine related (as in, did not tap to insure alignment, which I hear these things need).

A+, great value for a simple and well built gun. Ruger has a few things going for it, I'll say that!

img_0630-1-.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Bugs me when people call this sweet little .22lr just a trainer. I have one and it is one that always goes to the range. Only pistol I own I can say that about. Sure the SR22PB can be used as a trainer and a darn good one too, but it's also a great range, varmint and plinker. Ruger got it right when they came out with this .22lr. Congrats on the new pistol I know you will get as much enjoyment out of yours as I do mine.

EDIT: Its also a great gun to get your lady into shooting, easy to rack and shoot.

Here are my Rugers

Keep calm, carry on

Last edited by M605; 10-02-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by M605 View Post
EDIT: Its also a great gun to get your lady into shooting, easy to rack and shoot.
Yeah she used to have a 22/45 and hated shooting it and I sure hated maintaining it. You either like those guns or you don't. She will like this better but I can't keep her hands off my AR15 now.........
photo-3-2-.jpg  

Old 10-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Agreed, shooting our SR22 is how i got the wife interested. She really enjoys shooting it our S&W M&P 15-22. I just got an LC380 and she is starting to shoot that one every so often.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #5

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Congrats on the SR22. My daughter wanted a .22 to work with out back so she picked one up at the gun show a few months ago. I gotta say it is the most often shot gun in the collection. I have been working over the squirrels regularly and she has torn up several paper targets. Well worth every penny.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just wanted to see what kind of ammo you guys are using for your SR22's? I know ammo is hard to get your hands on but what are you guys having trouble running through and what seems to work better? Just wanted to see if there was any certain brands I should be on the look out for...

Old 10-13-2013, 01:34 AM   #7
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Asked the Guys (RSO's) at our range since they rent out both the SR22 & the Mark III, and I have a 22/45.
Their take is everyone is different, and you can have 4 different SR22's and they all choke on different ammo.
The rental at our range Likes almost anything that his heavy enough to rack the slide. The Sub sonics and reduced "quiet" light power and no power loads are a no-go-and for the most part, on any Semi-Auto. Mine eats almost everything I have ever run through it. My Wife's Browning,..now,..thats a Finicky Gun!! I can not clean my Ruger or my Mossberg 702 for weeks at a time, and go many 100's or rds. with no issue. If I don't lube the Buckmark before every trip it never goes more then 50 rds without an issue,...But when I do(and i'm not drinking Dos Equis!!;-) It's good for at least 300 rds.....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 10-14-2013, 02:54 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info! I understand every gun is going to be different. So I have another question for you SR22 owners. Have any of you found a good place online you can order extra magazines? I see a few on eBay that are slightly overpriced and after looking at a few websites I realized why... Most places are out of stock. Any suggestions? Or am I going to just have to swallow my pride and overpay for something!?

Old 10-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #9
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassshooter
Thanks for the info! I understand every gun is going to be different. So I have another question for you SR22 owners. Have any of you found a good place online you can order extra magazines? I see a few on eBay that are slightly overpriced and after looking at a few websites I realized why... Most places are out of stock. Any suggestions? Or am I going to just have to swallow my pride and overpay for something!?
ShopRuger.com is their official site for accessories. Less expensive is not always better. With that,..CDNN is who i go to for most other Mags...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 10-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassshooter View Post
Just wanted to see what kind of ammo you guys are using for your SR22's? I know ammo is hard to get your hands on but what are you guys having trouble running through and what seems to work better? Just wanted to see if there was any certain brands I should be on the look out for...
36 grains and up.