I'm considering an LCP, but no safety? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > I'm considering an LCP, but no safety?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post
Do you mean an LC380? Check Here.
Oh sure. Throw a new gun into the works. <grin>

I will say it's a neat little thing, and may be more controllable being slightly larger than the LCP. Good find. I'm going to have to check one out.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 280 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Doc is right, there is a small internal hammer visible at end of gun. I have owned & carried a LCP for years but never knew about the thumb trick.

When carrying fully loaded, every once counts. To counter the hump n bump sights, I recommend a laser.

This is a last ditch/stand kinda weapon and NO safety is needed or desired. While a joy to carry, it is not a fun to shoot.

Buy sig 238 - all steel model or a mid size Walther, CZ, Browning, & Sig 230-232 are much better range pistols.

Sig 938 is close to ideal carry gun except you have to carry cocked n locked. SAO - requires more training and short trigger pulls have historically resulted in more Kabooms. DAO - has more margin for error.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 04-19-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 572 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 176

I carried an LCP for over a year and finally got rid of it. The trigger pull is the "safety". It's like a long walk through the park. If you haven't bought one yet, don't. There are better options. Good luck.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 04-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 294 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
...Try one before you buy it if you can. They are not real pleasant to shoot. If you want a safety, look at the Sig 238. Much nicer to shoot but it has to be carried cocked and locked (safety on with the hammer cocked).
Great thread. I've been looking for another 380 and tried both the LCP and Sig 238 at my favorite GS a few weeks ago. Since I carry a Walther PPK 380 and shoot with it frequently I found the LCP to be manageable although the kick was more noticeable than with the heavier Walther. After I tried the Sig however, there was no doubt why the price was over $200 higher than the LCP. My shots with the Sig were more tightly grouped, which I would attribute to the firearm and not to any shooter skills. The Sig felt more comfortable and it's appearance and features are more representative of a higher quality firearm. That being said, I'm still considering the LCP since it's the smallest and lightest of all 380's I've tried. Also, the GS has been out of Sig P238's for over a month now and don't know when any will be comming in.

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will."

Ronald Reagan

Old 04-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402

The LCP has an exposed hammer. When you holster it, pocket it, or do anything else with it except shoot it, keep your thumb on the hammer. If you feel the hammer start to move under your thumb you're doing something you shouldn't be doing. Stop immediately and reverse direction. The thumb on the hammer motion is not an unnatural position, and it will warn you if something is about to go wrong.

I do recommend using a holster, but not for the reason you're thinking of. Without a pocket holster the firearm will move in your pocket. With a holster the gun tends to stay oriented the way you want it to be. I like the DeSantis Nemisis for this gun.

It's a fine little gun you should enjoy for years, and even if something goes wrong Ruger has good customer service.
The lcp does NOT have an exposed hammer.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #26

Quote:

I'm sitting here with my EMPTY LCP in my hand, and while it is true the hammer isn't as visible as a 1911, there is a visible hammer. Yes, it could be considered shrouded, but I can still feel it move or see it move every time I pull the trigger.
But it's not exposed as you said earlier

Old 04-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychostewie View Post
But it's not exposed as you said earlier
That would depend on you definition of exposed. My definition is if you can see it, it's exposed, and the Ruger hammer can be seen at all times. Now quit looking at the pretty pictures and go hold one in your hand. I'm done arguing semantics on this.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #28
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7779 Times on 4670 Posts
Likes Given: 9751

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB777 View Post
Great thread. I've been looking for another 380 and tried both the LCP and Sig 238 at my favorite GS a few weeks ago. Since I carry a Walther PPK 380 and shoot with it frequently I found the LCP to be manageable although the kick was more noticeable than with the heavier Walther. After I tried the Sig however, there was no doubt why the price was over $200 higher than the LCP. My shots with the Sig were more tightly grouped, which I would attribute to the firearm and not to any shooter skills. The Sig felt more comfortable and it's appearance and features are more representative of a higher quality firearm. That being said, I'm still considering the LCP since it's the smallest and lightest of all 380's I've tried. Also, the GS has been out of Sig P238's for over a month now and don't know when any will be comming in.
That was exactly my experience and that is exactly why I bought the Sig. Yes, it was pricey, but I'm only going to buy it once and keep it for a lifetime. To me, it was worth the extra money. I don't buy a new gun as often as many here can afford to do. When i do buy one, I buy exactly what I want. The weight difference between the LCP and the Sig was slight.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #29

Quote:

That would depend on you definition of exposed. My definition is if you can see it, it's exposed, and the Ruger hammer can be seen at all times. Now quit looking at the pretty pictures and go hold one in your hand. I'm done arguing semantics on this.
I carry one every day. So I think I got it handled

Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #30

I have carried an lcp in my pocket for 2 years no issues.

Closed Thread