I'm considering an LCP, but no safety?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > I'm considering an LCP, but no safety?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I'm considering an LCP, but no safety?

Hello all, I'm thinking of getting an LCP 380. I've read reviews and watched YouTube video reviews. The one thing that perplexed me was the lack of a safety. The only safety is the "stiffness" of the trigger pull. Is this true? If so, how do you all feel safe carry/concealing it? Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3185 Times on 1834 Posts
Likes Given: 2061

IMO, Double Action Only(DAO) pocket pistols, like every other firearm, are only as safe as the person handling them.

****Get yourself and anyone else that will handle this and all guns you own some safety training.****

1) Every gun is considered loaded until you personally, manually check it's condition.
2) Always carry them in a holster that covers and protects the trigger from inadvertently being actuated.
3) Never place your finger inside the trigger guard or on the trigger unless and until you are prepared to fire the weapon.
4) Never point the weapon at anything you aren't prepared to shoot and destroy.
5) Concealed means concealed, don't take it out and show it off to others or allow them to handle it.
6) Get certified and know the laws of your state and any other state you will be passing thru or going to - and abide by them.

The DAO trigger is the same concept employed on most Double Action(DA) revolvers and has proven its reliability and safety for over 100 years.

I think you will be fine if you just practice safe gun handling.

And finally, yes I do concealed carry a DAO semi-auto like the LCP and I have no qualms about doing so, beyond the usual concerns of being armed.

Last edited by eatmydust; 04-19-2013 at 06:32 AM. Reason: I do carry DAO added.
johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 04-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6032 Times on 3162 Posts
Likes Given: 432

i carry one everyday. great little pocket pistol. get a decent pocket holster, keep your finger off the trigger less your gonna shoot it and its a non-issue,.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #4

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i carry one everyday. great little pocket pistol. get a decent pocket holster, keep your finger off the trigger less your gonna shoot it and its a non-issue,.
Pretty much it----------
Theres a safety on EVERY gun

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 04-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #5

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

About the only "accidental" discharge from any gun is an idiot pulling the trigger.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

People Like This 
Old 04-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 844

I have two pocket pistols, both with long DAO triggers. I have no concern carrying either in my pocket.

Safeties definitely have an important purpose on shorter and SAO triggers, but they can be overkill on triggers like the LCP.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 04-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_psych View Post
Hello all, I'm thinking of getting an LCP 380. I've read reviews and watched YouTube video reviews. The one thing that perplexed me was the lack of a safety. The only safety is the "stiffness" of the trigger pull. Is this true? If so, how do you all feel safe carry/concealing it? Thanks
The LCP has an exposed hammer. When you holster it, pocket it, or do anything else with it except shoot it, keep your thumb on the hammer. If you feel the hammer start to move under your thumb you're doing something you shouldn't be doing. Stop immediately and reverse direction. The thumb on the hammer motion is not an unnatural position, and it will warn you if something is about to go wrong.

I do recommend using a holster, but not for the reason you're thinking of. Without a pocket holster the firearm will move in your pocket. With a holster the gun tends to stay oriented the way you want it to be. I like the DeSantis Nemisis for this gun.

It's a fine little gun you should enjoy for years, and even if something goes wrong Ruger has good customer service.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2415 Times on 1307 Posts
Likes Given: 695

The trigger pull is similar to a double action revolver and revolvers dont have safeties. Try one before you buy it if you can. They are not real pleasant to shoot. If you want a safety, look at the Sig 238. Much nicer to shoot but it has to be carried cocked and locked (safety on with the hammer cocked).

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3185 Times on 1834 Posts
Likes Given: 2061

From reading Doc3402's response, I think he has confused the LCP with the LCR revolver. There is no truly exposed hammer on the LCP.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
From reading Doc3402's response, I think he has confused the LCP with the LCR revolver. There is no truly exposed hammer on the LCP.
If I'm not mistaken, the lcr has no hammer either.

Closed Thread