Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ruger Handgun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/)
-   -   I'm considering an LCP, but no safety? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/im-considering-lcp-but-no-safety-89120/)

dr_psych 04-19-2013 05:09 AM

I'm considering an LCP, but no safety?

Hello all, I'm thinking of getting an LCP 380. I've read reviews and watched YouTube video reviews. The one thing that perplexed me was the lack of a safety. The only safety is the "stiffness" of the trigger pull. Is this true? If so, how do you all feel safe carry/concealing it? Thanks

eatmydust 04-19-2013 05:30 AM

IMO, Double Action Only(DAO) pocket pistols, like every other firearm, are only as safe as the person handling them.

****Get yourself and anyone else that will handle this and all guns you own some safety training.****

1) Every gun is considered loaded until you personally, manually check it's condition.
2) Always carry them in a holster that covers and protects the trigger from inadvertently being actuated.
3) Never place your finger inside the trigger guard or on the trigger unless and until you are prepared to fire the weapon.
4) Never point the weapon at anything you aren't prepared to shoot and destroy.
5) Concealed means concealed, don't take it out and show it off to others or allow them to handle it.
6) Get certified and know the laws of your state and any other state you will be passing thru or going to - and abide by them.

The DAO trigger is the same concept employed on most Double Action(DA) revolvers and has proven its reliability and safety for over 100 years.

I think you will be fine if you just practice safe gun handling.

And finally, yes I do concealed carry a DAO semi-auto like the LCP and I have no qualms about doing so, beyond the usual concerns of being armed.

JonM 04-19-2013 05:51 AM

i carry one everyday. great little pocket pistol. get a decent pocket holster, keep your finger off the trigger less your gonna shoot it and its a non-issue,.

HOSSFLY 04-19-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1219018)
i carry one everyday. great little pocket pistol. get a decent pocket holster, keep your finger off the trigger less your gonna shoot it and its a non-issue,.

Pretty much it----------
Theres a safety on EVERY gun ;)

hiwall 04-19-2013 01:32 PM

About the only "accidental" discharge from any gun is an idiot pulling the trigger.

ScottA 04-19-2013 01:34 PM

I have two pocket pistols, both with long DAO triggers. I have no concern carrying either in my pocket.

Safeties definitely have an important purpose on shorter and SAO triggers, but they can be overkill on triggers like the LCP.

Doc3402 04-19-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_psych (Post 1218993)
Hello all, I'm thinking of getting an LCP 380. I've read reviews and watched YouTube video reviews. The one thing that perplexed me was the lack of a safety. The only safety is the "stiffness" of the trigger pull. Is this true? If so, how do you all feel safe carry/concealing it? Thanks

The LCP has an exposed hammer. When you holster it, pocket it, or do anything else with it except shoot it, keep your thumb on the hammer. If you feel the hammer start to move under your thumb you're doing something you shouldn't be doing. Stop immediately and reverse direction. The thumb on the hammer motion is not an unnatural position, and it will warn you if something is about to go wrong.

I do recommend using a holster, but not for the reason you're thinking of. Without a pocket holster the firearm will move in your pocket. With a holster the gun tends to stay oriented the way you want it to be. I like the DeSantis Nemisis for this gun.

It's a fine little gun you should enjoy for years, and even if something goes wrong Ruger has good customer service.

JTJ 04-19-2013 01:39 PM

The trigger pull is similar to a double action revolver and revolvers dont have safeties. Try one before you buy it if you can. They are not real pleasant to shoot. If you want a safety, look at the Sig 238. Much nicer to shoot but it has to be carried cocked and locked (safety on with the hammer cocked).

eatmydust 04-19-2013 01:53 PM

From reading Doc3402's response, I think he has confused the LCP with the LCR revolver. There is no truly exposed hammer on the LCP.

95sniper 04-19-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatmydust (Post 1219253)
From reading Doc3402's response, I think he has confused the LCP with the LCR revolver. There is no truly exposed hammer on the LCP.

If I'm not mistaken, the lcr has no hammer either.