Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > I may have found my first issue...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default I may have found my first issue...

...with my Ruger SR9c. I'll set the picture. When I am home, I unload the handgun, safety check it, pull the trigger, insert the mag then lock it in the little lock box I have for it. The reason I pull the trigger is so that there is no tension on the spring for the firing pin. Now, I am not a gun smith and don't know all the technical stuff, but the military has ingrained the pulling of the trigger on firearms when storing them. If this is false, won't hurt anything or doesn't matter, please let me know.

Anyhoo, the issue I have is this...when the pistol is in the configuration listed above, (chamber empty, trigger pulled and mag in), when I go to chamber a round, the first round (and only first) gets hung up on the tip of the firing pin. It will do this whether I just rack the slide or even lock the slide back and then put it forward.

I've tested the pistol with no mag and noticed something interesting. With no mag in, I can rack it, insert mag and rack it again to chamber a round with no issues. This goes for simply racking back or locking the slide, inserting mag, then chambering a round.

Okay, I hope that wasn't confusing. What I noticed was that in the original configuration as listed first, when I rack it or lock the slide, I notice the firing pin doesn't retract into the slide when there is a mag in. When I take the mag out, rack it (or lock slide back) the firing pin retracts like it should.

So why would the firing retract when no mag is in and not retact when there IS a mag in? I've fired this pistol many times with no other issues. Please advise. Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1068 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 605

i dont know if this is the cause of your problem.. but, remember that little book that comes with the gun.. did you read it by any chance?

in big bold letters it says only dryfire the pistol WITH AN EMPTY MAGAZINE INSERTED. if fired with no magazine it could cause damage to the magazine eject, or striker mechinism.

just saying.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
People Like This 
Old 11-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #3

Touche and well noted now. I'll be honest, I didn't read the manual, at first, but did now and found that part on dry firing that you mentioned.

However, does anyone have any idea on the firing pin issue I stated, though? I tried going through the same process, only this time I dry fired with an empty mag in, but came up with the same result.

Also, since I'm not officially "storing" the weapon, can I just leave it charged since I am a CCer now? My reasoning behind this is my past deployments when our weapons are ready to go for 6, 12 and even 15 months at a time.

Last edited by CJohn364; 11-23-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #4

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Not real sure if i'm understanding but in any case have you took it down & cleaned the striker channel good? Lot of factory junk in there-
BTW- most say it'd take a few thousand times to damage anything dry firing sans mag but why risk it?
Mine stays "charged" 24/7

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Not real sure if i'm understanding but in any case have you took it down & cleaned the striker channel good? Lot of factory junk in there-
BTW- most say it'd take a few thousand times to damage anything dry firing sans mag but why risk it?
Mine stays "charged" 24/7
I have not cleaned the striker channel so it's still running on the factory gunk. I'll try that.

Edit: I've cleaned the striker and striker channel and am still getting the same result. HOWEVER, after carefully using the instruction manual and slowly going through the motions of the pistol, it turns out that this seems to be how the pistol normally functions. O.o

Last edited by CJohn364; 11-23-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #6

Liked 2140 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 2079

First it isn't going to hurt the spring to keep it compressed. Second why do you keep doing it if it causes problems. Like the old telling the doctor it hurts when I do this and the doctor says don't do that.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
First it isn't going to hurt the spring to keep it compressed. Second why do you keep doing it if it causes problems. Like the old telling the doctor it hurts when I do this and the doctor says don't do that.
I understand that way of thinking, but I also understand that a weapon, gadget or anything else I spend good money on, should function the way it should. If it don't, I get very impatient and upset.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #8

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

No reason to get impatient or upset. You have a lifetime warranty on your Ruger. If/when anything happens it's covered.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:17 AM   #9

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

I'm not following. A picture is worth a thousand words. Perhaps you can provide some

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 12-06-2012 at 02:22 AM.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:21 AM   #10

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

I don't know how the firing pin could be available to hang anything up. I just don't get that part. My understanding of the firingpin is that it's only protruding from the channel when struck, then it retreats back into its cave, preparing for is next venture. Perhaps this is different with striker fired guns, pretty sure that's what yours is, my brief experience with them didn't afford any function delving.

Sounds like something is wrong with it too me. As soon as you rack it to Chamber your first round there should be no pressure against the firing pin to engage it. No matter if you have previously pulled the trigger or not.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 12-06-2012 at 02:26 AM.