Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ruger Handgun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/)
-   -   Guide rod on Ruger LC 9 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/guide-rod-ruger-lc-9-a-106586/)

widowmaker 04-29-2014 03:34 AM

Guide rod on Ruger LC 9

The guide rod on my LC 9 looks to be plastic. If it is, is there a steel replacement? Has anyone had trouble with it yet?
This is going to be my primary carry gun and I want it reliable as possible.

chloeshooter 04-29-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by widowmaker (Post 1567326)
The guide rod on my LC 9 looks to be plastic. If it is, is there a steel replacement? Has anyone had trouble with it yet?

why do you believe a steel guide rod will be any more reliable than a plastic one? just curious.

JonM 04-29-2014 01:35 PM

I've been swapping out steel guide rods for plastic ones when I can... less weight is a good thing. I've never ever heard of any failure from plastic guide rods. I HAVE heard of issues with steel ones getting bent and causing difficult cycling or just locking the gun up.

widowmaker 04-29-2014 06:35 PM

I don't know if a plastic guide rod is better or worse than a steel one. That's why I asked the question.
I just wondered if anyone has had an issue with it.
I haven't shot this pistol very much yet and would like any feedback I can get.
Thanks guys

JonM 04-29-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by widowmaker (Post 1567567)
I don't know if a plastic guide rod is better or worse than a steel one. That's why I asked the question.
I just wondered if anyone has had an issue with it.
I haven't shot this pistol very much yet and would like any feedback I can get.
Thanks guys

They work just fine. My wife has 500 rounds through her lc9 no issues

John_Deer 04-29-2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by widowmaker (Post 1567326)

Quite often the plastic guide rod is more reliable than a metal guide rod. I have had recoil springs wear down and slip over the head of a metal guide rod, binding the action. I have never had the recoil spring wear out a plastic guide rod. I have replaced a plastic guide rod because it was showing signs of wear, never because my gun was malfunctioning.

The long nail like part of the guide rod seldom wears out. The head of the guide rod is always the culprit.

DrFootball 04-30-2014 07:23 PM

Guide rod on Ruger LC 9

its not Plastic! It's Polymer! I have close to 1500 rounds in just over 2 years thru mine, and only thing I have done besides Taking On and Back Off a side mounted Laser,...a new set of springs....which it did not even NEED....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Pasquanel 04-30-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFootball (Post 1568134)
its not Plastic! It's Polymer! I have close to 1500 rounds in just over 2 years thru mine, and only thing I have done besides Taking On and Back Off a side mounted Laser,...a new set of springs....which it did not even NEED....

Whatever, 1911's have used metal guide rods for over 100 years with no problems any of my guns that had plastic, sorry polymer now have SS guide rods and they function just fine! If you're happy with your plas....err polymer guide rods I'm happy with you its kind of like when the cat lapped his butt hey "to each his own"! These guns come with plastic guide rods first and for-most because they're cheaper and they are also lighter and they work! They also bend and flex and chafe, but in reality the rest of the polymer frame will probably give out first;)

SSGN_Doc 05-01-2014 12:51 AM

The only plastic guide rod I saw fail was in a Glock that was shot for 1000 rounds straight and got hot enough that the guide rod head failed and the guide rod left the gun. The pistol continued to run without it for the final few mags.

Plastic is polymer, but not all polymer is plastic. Guide rods are not extremely expensive. They just guide a spring. With a lot of the flat wound springs they are a bit less stressed and even maybe less critical to preventing binding than when used with a wire coil spring.

John_Deer 05-01-2014 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFootball (Post 1568134)

It is not a clip it is a magazine!

I own a Glock, it is not made of polymer. The Glock is made of Gaston's Fantastic Plastic. I even have a Fantastic Plastic holster for the Glock.