Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ruger Handgun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/)
-   -   First Time Handgun Owner (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/first-time-handgun-owner-81208/)

alanrmeadows 01-13-2013 07:19 PM

First Time Handgun Owner

I just purchased a Ruger LCP .380 with the Crimson Trace laser kit...this is my first handgun. I plan to obtain my conceal and carry in the near future. What holster do you recommend since I have the laser as well? Also, where do most people tend to carry these pistols...in the holster in the pocket, or in the holster attached to a belt under the shirt? Just looking for a good holster and the best place to carry my new pistol.

Thanks

soonergirl980 01-14-2013 01:05 PM

Let me know how you like it when you get some rounds through it please. This is what I am planning on getting to as a carry gun as well.

ScottA 01-14-2013 02:40 PM

The LCP is a great carry pistol. I carry a very similar S&W Bodyguard 380 in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. The combination works very well.

I recommend you think about picking up a second gun soon. Get something that is cheaper and more comfortable to shoot. 380 ammunition is pretty expensive, and the thin form of the LCP can be downright painful to shoot for any length of time.

You would be well served to get a 22 soon. They are inexpensive to shoot and very comfortable. That's means more shooting, more fun, and becoming a better shot.

Please stop by the introductions thread and tell us about yourself.

CA357 01-14-2013 02:46 PM

Welcome to the forum.

alanrmeadows 01-14-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 1093197)
The LCP is a great carry pistol. I carry a very similar S&W Bodyguard 380 in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. The combination works very well.

I recommend you think about picking up a second gun soon. Get something that is cheaper and more comfortable to shoot. 380 ammunition is pretty expensive, and the thin form of the LCP can be downright painful to shoot for any length of time.

You would be well served to get a 22 soon. They are inexpensive to shoot and very comfortable. That's means more shooting, more fun, and becoming a better shot.

Please stop by the introductions thread and tell us about yourself.

I'm an avid hunter and primarily purchased the LCP for self-defense and for a carry weapon. Any tips on the LCP...do I need to clean before firing? I noticed in my box what looks like a finger grip extension...how do I install this piece?

ScottA 01-14-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanrmeadows (Post 1093442)
I'm an avid hunter and primarily purchased the LCP for self-defense and for a carry weapon. Any tips on the LCP...do I need to clean before firing? I noticed in my box what looks like a finger grip extension...how do I install this piece?

Check the bottom of the magazine that came with the pistol. You should find a small round button in the middle. This allows the butt plate to be removed. Depress the button and slide the plate off the end of the mag. Replace the finger grip plate in reverse order.

mahall 06-14-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA

Check the bottom of the magazine that came with the pistol. You should find a small round button in the middle. This allows the butt plate to be removed. Depress the button and slide the plate off the end of the mag. Replace the finger grip plate in reverse order.

And no you don't really need to clean a new weapon before you shoot it!! Unless its going to be months before you shoot!! I bought the LCP a few months ago!! I was told to stick to FMJ ammo vs HP. HP has a tendency to jam occasionally at the feed ramp!! How true that is?? Don't know. I've shot about 300 rounds of FMJ through mine with no issues!! Great little gun for what it is!! Surprisingly accurate from 10 yards in!! Easy gun to stripe and clean!! I'm sure you will enjoy this little gun!! Just don't go grizzly hunting with it and you will be fine-:)