does no one like the .40? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > does no one like the .40?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #81
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1972 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 379

now if someone would only invent that .425 pistol round lol

Old 02-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #82

Liked 492 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Police forces didnt switch from revolver to semi for any other reason than it was cheaper to field a bunch of semis than it was to rearm with revolvers.
Now granted, I've compared revolver prices to semiautos and there is no real cost savings.

However, I thought there was a lot of police griping in the 80's about criminals having semiautos while many police forces were still using .38 Specials. I know even in the mid-90's the metro police force where I lived (not DFW) were just switching to S&W 9mm's and many of the veterans still had their old Model 10's.

An interesting note, the surrounding county had issued their deputies .357 magnums while local PD were issued .38's. Police and deputies alike could purchase their own weapons as well, I think most of the protest was the fact that local PD were ISSUED something that they perceived as inferior to what was encountered on the street.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 02-26-2013, 01:21 AM   #83

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

The NYPD was notoriously famous for being against everything from automatics down to .357's and even speed loaders. We fought tooth and nail for years for something to place the street cop on even footing to a certain extent with those armed with the infamous Browning HP, which can hold up to 14 rounds. Those autos were the weapon of choice among groups like the BLA, etc. from the 60's to 80's. I even carried one as back up in my early years, but was forced to stop.

We were told every year by our range officers, while re qualifying with our weapons, that new weaponry was always being considered and experimented with all the time. Every excuse was given to us regarding why our 38's were the best under the current circumstances. Most of us didn't buy that.

We lost a number of people back in those days, including a friend of mine, because we were in fact out gunned and had a primitive way of carrying our ammo, which were stacked in pouches on our gun belts. We couldn't even have speed loaders, amazing!

The PD's across the country have many experts within them, who know far better than I do about such things as, guns and equipment, but a number experts who are in the know fall into the dangerous category of knowing what the CORRECT thing to do where arming the police are concerned, but don't do it, because they confuse it with POLITICAL CORRECTNESS.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #84
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21231 Times on 12055 Posts
Likes Given: 52974

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
The NYPD was notoriously famous for being against everything from automatics down to .357's and even speed loaders. We fought tooth and nail for years for something to place the street cop on even footing to a certain extent with those armed with the infamous Browning HP, which can hold up to 14 rounds. Those autos were the weapon of choice among groups like the BLA, etc. from the 60's to 80's. I even carried one as back up in my early years, but was forced to stop.

We were told every year by our range officers, while re qualifying with our weapons, that new weaponry was always being considered and experimented with all the time. Every excuse was given to us regarding why our 38's were the best under the current circumstances. Most of us didn't buy that.

We lost a number of people back in those days, including a friend of mine, because we were in fact out gunned and had a primitive way of carrying our ammo, which were stacked in pouches on our gun belts. We couldn't even have speed loaders, amazing!

The PD's across the country have many experts within them, who know far better than I do about such things as, guns and equipment, but a number experts who are in the know fall into the dangerous category of knowing what the CORRECT thing to do where arming the police are concerned, but don't do it, because they confuse it with POLITICAL CORRECTNESS.
i suspect that large PD's are like a large corporation. those in the know and that have the knowledge are not the same ones charged with doing the purchasing. many times it's the beancounters who are looking for the best price that do the buying. after all, theyare not the ones required to carry them. all they worry about are the numbers.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #85
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1498 Times on 1015 Posts
Likes Given: 522

If I am going to pay magnum prices for ammo I am going to get a magnum pistol. A 40 cal is a long way from being a magnum.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
If I am going to pay magnum prices for ammo I am going to get a magnum pistol. A 40 cal is a long way from being a magnum.
have you ever compared the ballistics of the 40 to those of the 9mm or even the 45?

pretty close to the 357 Magnum.

it's not bad cartridge, but it's a bit pricey is some places.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:55 AM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1498 Times on 1015 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
have you ever compared the ballistics of the 40 to those of the 9mm or even the 45?

pretty close to the 357 Magnum.

it's not bad cartridge, but it's a bit pricey is some places.
Your'e kidding me right? You must be reading those apples to oranges comparisons. What brand of 40 cal ammo creates close to 800 ft lbs of energy from the muzzle? Plain old Fiocchi 125 gr sjsp ammo has 755 ft lb of energy at the muzzle from a 4" test barrel. When you get into double tap and corbon ammo the 357 mag is really a powerhouse. Then you have those off the charts Ruger only hand loads for the 357 mag that achieve remarkable velocities.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 02-26-2013 at 01:58 AM.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:01 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Your'e kidding me right? You must be reading those apples to oranges comparisons. What brand of 40 cal ammo creates close to 800 ft lbs of energy from the muzzle? Plain old Fiocchi 125 gr sjsp ammo has 755 ft lb of energy at the muzzle from a 4" test barrel. When you get into double tap and corbon ammo the 357 mag is really a powerhouse. Then you have those off the charts Ruger only hand loads for the 357 mag that achieve remarkable velocities.
Hornady.

40 S & W 165 gr. FTX bullet
MV/ME 1175/506

357 Mag. 158 gr. FTX bullet
MV/ME 1250/548

Old 02-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #89

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
50rds of .40-18$
50rds of .357 mag-34$
Uneducated posts-priceless
Old 02-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #90

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I tried the .40 one time with my purchase of the Glock 27 and I did not like the round at all. The recoil was not for me or maybe it was the combination of the G27 along with the recoil. I tried about two hundred rounds, then sold the gun and I never looked back. My EDC is the Glock 36 and I love the .45! I also have a Glock 30SF, G19 and G26 and no future plans to ever go back to the .40.

Closed Thread