does no one like the .40? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > does no one like the .40?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's all a matter of personal preference. I love my sig 45, my glock 22, my kahr 9mm, and my s&w 38. There is a situation for each and all are capable of mass destruction.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #62

Liked 393 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Standardization works great until th SHTF.

I scrounging becomes necessary... .40 S&W and 9 MM will be the most "found" cartridges in the US.Tack

Just a guess on my part Tack, but if the S actually does HTF, the weapons that shoot the various cartridges you mention will likely be "found" too.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I find that my HK USP .40 has less, or the same, recoil then any 9mm I ever shot or owned. The spring is designed for low recoil. Same with new gen Glocks. The 22 feels like a 17 in my opinion. I use a .40 to make final shots while hunting boar. A 9mm is too small. A .45 hits like a pancake and is subsonic. The .40 can penetrate the thick armor and has a good diameter. I also feel more comfortable with the .40 if I am charged by a Russian boar. I do not use a 10mm because the round is not abundant here and Glock is my only choice. Maybe one day HK will make a 10mm and the round will catch on in Europe.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2936 Times on 1706 Posts
Likes Given: 1753

Nothing wrong with .40 S&W, in my mind, after reading a good bit about handguns and ammo, and trusting my S&W .38/.357 revolvers for years, I decided on 9mm. I figured if it worked for Navy SEALS, it would work for me. And the ammo WAS cheaper.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Navy Seals-that is why I bought a P226. I use mine for comp and home protection from two legged animals. The .40 is for the woods.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #66

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
you don't have to sell me on the 40. i have one and have complete faith in mine. my wife also shoots it with good results. some people just don't care for it, because they do feel it's a compromise. their thinking is if you want capacity go with the 9mm. if your needs shift to more power,go with the 45 acp.

last year a member here flamed badly on the 40. saying it was useless and a fad. well it's been around for over 25 years now and most anyone that makes a semi-auto pistol chambers in that caliber. IMO, that's hardly a fad anymore.
here's my question - how is the .40 a compromise? I have seen that statement throughout this thread and scratch my head. It's larger than a 9mm, smaller than a .45acp. You can double-stack to increase capacity in a .45 but the result is a handle fatter than a can of beer. Not ideal for medium to smaller size hands.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #67

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

this is strictly an opinion and not neccesarily fact. i am also a 40 owner and have owned some pistol chambered in 40 for over 20 years now. i like the 40 because it's a good compromise between power and capacity.

i believe that many times the people picking the caliber and the firearms used by large police departments are not the ones carring them. many times, it probably comes down to simple economics and politics. not always what's in the best interests of those who are carrying them. if company "X" says they will give a huge cost break on such and such gun in such and such caliber and can help them get the alloted amount of ammo needed for duty carry and practice, then more than likely that's what happens. not always the best choice when the beancounters get involved in such decisions.
So what you're saying is that you believe that most departments do not field and torture test each possible weapons platform and caliber before the choose it?

Old 02-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #68

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have a .40 S&W Firestar I bought it back when the only .45 you could find was a 1911 & it was not easily concealable so I settled on the .40.
I bought a SR 40 about a year ago, I didn't like it. the sights were way off & the thumb down lever took two thumbs to work. I sent it back to Ruger 3 times they wouldn't or couldn't fix it.
I took a beating on it but I sold it, I won't have guns around that don't work.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 02-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #69

Liked 499 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man View Post
I have a .40 S&W Firestar I bought it back when the only .45 you could find was a 1911 & it was not easily concealable so I settled on the .40.
I bought a SR 40 about a year ago, I didn't like it. the sights were way off & the thumb down lever took two thumbs to work. I sent it back to Ruger 3 times they wouldn't or couldn't fix it.
A great round, but an unsatisfied Ruger customer. Is that even possible?

Old 02-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #70

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man
That's odd maybe you got a defective one I love my sr40c I haven't had any of those problems sorry it happened to you

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Closed Thread