does no one like the .40? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > does no one like the .40?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

I don't think the .40 is a compromise, I think it's the best of both worlds. Velocity of the 9 and energy of the .45 I love it and it will probably be what I carry 80-90% of the time for the rest of my life

Old 02-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1226 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 528

I like Old English (speakin of foties), but for handgun cartridges I prefer relatively low power for controllability and fast follow up shots. I see nothing wrong with 9MM for pistols and 38 Special for revolvers. All the high power, high muzzle blast, high recoil, high wear and tear cartridges I've seen provide no readily discernible real world advantage over decent shot placement and multiple hits on target in rapid succession. Also, I've never personally been attacked by a piece of ballistic gelatin or a sheet of paper, so I can't say that I understand the harping on hair splitting accuracy or whatever tests you see conducted in a labratory on an inanimate object that doesn't think, feel, or fight back. Humans are incredibly tough, mean critters that are at the top of the food chain for a reason. Reliance on any one weapon, type of ammunition, inherent accuracy or lack thereof of a particular weapon or type of ammunition, or that everything will go according to plan is pretty silly to me.

I prefer firearms and cartridges that have been proven to work through decades of real world use with more money in testing than I'll ever make. There's nothing wrong with Ruger pistols or the .40S&W. I just don't agree with the hype over a particular type of ammo or weapon.

If the criminal who attacks you is not wearing body armor, then two or three to the chest and one to the head is entirely sufficient "stopping power". If the criminal is wearing body armor, then you're gonna need a carbine or a really good pre-rehearsed escape & evasion plan, period end of story.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #53

Liked 125 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 130

I think the 40S&W is one of the most useless cartridges to ever hit the market. A 9x19mm+P will work better and give you more rounds on tap. If you want a larger bullet then go with the time tested 45acp. 40S&W is half too small and half not big enough IMHO.

This is the War Room!"

Old 02-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #54
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1106 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 242

I love the .40, I just wanted a little extra powder with it, so I went 10mm.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNFrank
I think the 40S&W is one of the most useless cartridges to ever hit the market. A 9x19mm+P will work better and give you more rounds on tap. If you want a larger bullet then go with the time tested 45acp. 40S&W is half too small and half not big enough IMHO.
Wonder why the police force uses it then? This is something I must research, confusing as to why officers carry such a useless round.....

Old 02-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #56
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
Wonder why the police force uses it then? This is something I must research, confusing as to why officers carry such a useless round.....
this is strictly an opinion and not neccesarily fact. i am also a 40 owner and have owned some pistol chambered in 40 for over 20 years now. i like the 40 because it's a good compromise between power and capacity.

i believe that many times the people picking the caliber and the firearms used by large police departments are not the ones carring them. many times, it probably comes down to simple economics and politics. not always what's in the best interests of those who are carrying them. if company "X" says they will give a huge cost break on such and such gun in such and such caliber and can help them get the alloted amount of ammo needed for duty carry and practice, then more than likely that's what happens. not always the best choice when the beancounters get involved in such decisions.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #57

I'm not basing it off the fact that it's what police departments use. It's just upsetting to see someone hate a good round that I personally trust my life with. There's no need to hate the .40, it's a great caliber

Old 02-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #58
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
I'm not basing it off the fact that it's what police departments use. It's just upsetting to see someone hate a good round that I personally trust my life with. There's no need to hate the .40, it's a great caliber
you don't have to sell me on the 40. i have one and have complete faith in mine. my wife also shoots it with good results. some people just don't care for it, because they do feel it's a compromise. their thinking is if you want capacity go with the 9mm. if your needs shift to more power,go with the 45 acp.

last year a member here flamed badly on the 40. saying it was useless and a fad. well it's been around for over 25 years now and most anyone that makes a semi-auto pistol chambers in that caliber. IMO, that's hardly a fad anymore.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #59

Liked 511 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 236

I love all ammo in the .40 cal. family and that's why the 1911 is so popular with it's 45acp. The .40 is regarded by most as a good compromise between the 9 and .45 where stopping power is concerned, as well as magazine capacity. That's why many depts are switching over to the .40. Geez, even the girls can handle it.

Those .40's usually get a bad wrap from those unable to handle any recoil. The 9's are just dandy and for those with problems handling larger rounds they should stay away, cause those 9's will do just fine, but penetration doesn't concern me as much as the ability to stop someone dead in their tracks like the 40's do.

I carry both calibers, but shooting my G27's a piece of cake for me. I'm no ballistics expert, but know enough not to stand in front of any gun loaded with 40's, cause their larger holes tend to be pretty messy. But lets not stand in front of any loaded gun for safety reasons.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 02-24-2013 at 06:53 AM.
People Like This 
Old 02-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #60

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
I don't think anyone hates this caliber. Any caliber a person chooses and learns to shoot well will do well for self defense. No one could reasonably argue that a 40 caliber gun couldn't be used for self defense. Other people may choose something else - but it's just that - a choice.
They all work.