Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > does no one like the .40?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Capacity might not be an issue much longer if the gun haters have their way with the political sheep. I just recently got a Glock 22, .40 cal and love it. It came with three 15 round magazines, which is plenty. I find I can shoot just as well with it as a 9mm and it is actually easier to find ammo in .40 cal these days as so many people have gone to 9mm.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #42

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
I'm of the mindset that if I want capacity I'll take a 9mm and if I want stopping power I'll take a .45. The .40 is a compromise round and in all the ways I don't like.

That doesn't mean I poo poo the decisions of others to use it, just not a round for me. It might be a good round for you.
Well said and my sentiments exactly. I have also noticed that the .40 round is starting to fall out of favor with law enforcement. I have seen and heard of a number of agencies going back to 9mm and some even upgrading to .45acp. The former I am certain has a lot to do with ammo pricing and availability.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #43

Liked 1427 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry18 View Post
I have also noticed that the .40 round is starting to fall out of favor with law enforcement. I have seen and heard of a number of agencies going back to 9mm and some even upgrading to .45acp.
The Department of Homeland Security as well as other Federal agencies have been buying .40 S&W up by the boatload. There have been a number of threads about that on this site. Hundreds of millions of rounds. Can't speak for the local folks, etc. but i don't think there will be a big caliber overhaul at the Fed level anytime soon.

I have the Ruger SR40. I'd have no problem switching to a 1911 with 7 rounds versus my 15.....if the gun was for cosmetic purposes only. I disagree with you guys that say .40 isn't a good compromise between a 9mm and a .45. The plain fact is, it is a round that, like the .45acp, is a penetration round. But you get a bunch more of them and unless you plan to conduct your SD situations at a firing range with controlled circumstances, those extra rounds will likely come in handy. Just my 2 cents worth
Old 02-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #44

Liked 898 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

I have several .40's, and carry them (no, just one at a time ) very often. They have higher capacities than my .45's, and fire bullets that are in between the 9MM and the .45 in size, but at high velocity. So the .40's expand quite well, and have flatter trajectories than the .45's.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #45

Liked 343 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Why does everyone think a .45 has to be a 7 round gun? Despite the 1911 worshippers there are plenty of .45 platforms that offer 10, 12, and 13 rounds. You don't get the capacity of the .40 but you don't have to drop to half or less of it's capacity either.

Here's where I commit blasphemy. The 1911 is not the best platform for .45 delivery. For some of its really great features it falls short in a lot of ways. When I compare 9mm, .40, and .45 in my head I am not considering the 1911. If you want an apples to apples comparison you can just go look at Glocks since they offer all three calibers in full-size handguns. There are others as well but Glock is probably the best known. You can do the same with a few other manufacturers. There's your thought experiment. A 1911 selection for .45 is meeting a criteria for something more than based purely on caliber.

Come to think of it, the SR series is about to have all 3 calibers as well.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #46

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

In my experience, the .40 S&W round is too snappy for the gain it promises. I prefer either 9mm or .45ACP. To me personally, the .40 is neither fish nor fowl.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
People Like This 
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #47

Liked 898 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

I, for one, don't think a .45 has to be a 7-round gun. I have a Para Warthog, which has 10+1 capacity, a Ruger P345, with 8+1, and a Para S14.45, with 14+1 capacity. But my Taurus PT-840's have 15+1, and I live in a warm climate, where it is difficult to conceal a full size .45 under a T-shirt. But it is pretty easy to cover a Taurus PT-940 (10+1), a Taurus PT-140 (10 +1), or a Stoeger 8040 (11+1). It is a matter of adjusting your armament to the environment.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #48

Liked 2252 Times on 1184 Posts
Likes Given: 153

I did not "buy into" the .40 when introduced. I was a died in the wool .45 guy. I later fell into a "real" 40, AKA 10mm and never looked back. I have a .40 (actually 4 if you count my wife's two SW99s and my .40 barrel for my G-20), but it is relegated to occasional carry.

The .40 is still the most popular LE caliber and a potent SD caliber. A 180 gr Gold Dot out of a .40 has more muzzle energy and greater sectional density than the beloved .45 ACP with a 230 gr bullet.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #49

Liked 61 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
The .40 is still the most popular LE caliber and a potent SD caliber. A 180 gr Gold Dot out of a .40 has more muzzle energy and greater sectional density than the beloved .45 ACP with a 230 gr bullet.
Amen brother. There's the reason the Feds have stocked up on this caliber. They mean to kill what they shoot at.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #50

Liked 343 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Everyone likes to assert why their round is the best. For the most part when you get into the mid-calibers for handguns there isn't much other than incremental differences.

I have no issues with .40 personally, just doesn't appeal to me. I do think it's funny to see the contortions people will go through to prove their round is "best". Hell, I won't dispute the power of the true 10mm but the ammo costs, lack of platforms, and size are the main turn-offs to me. Please don't talk about reloading, that is more of a luxury than some people realize. (Also, I don't consider 10mm to be "mid" caliber anyway)

I will always always always recommend 9mm or .38 Special to new shooters for their first self defense handgun. Just because the low cost, when available, and relatively low recoil make them easy to learn on with minimal discouragement. Outside of new shooters? I think you should use what you feel comfortable defending yourself with. Granted, I think someone carrying .25 ACP is asking for it but I still know someone who does. I won't consider less than .380 ACP for concealed and won't consider less than 9mm Luger for home defense.

Going all the way back to the OP, I suspect the SR40 is underrepresented simply because Ruger is not traditionally known for .40 S&W. I think they dabbled with it during the P-Series but nothing ever took off. I don't think .40 is all that popular. I don't see many of them on the range. Now if you take out the 1911 platform, I'd say it is more common than .45 ACP. Other than that I typically see 9mm, .45 ACP, .38 Special, and .357 Magnum more often than .40. For what it's worth, I have yet to encounter anyone shooting off .357 SIG or 10mm. It could be worse.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Closed Thread