does no one like the .40? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > does no one like the .40?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalfun View Post
Why pick .40 when you can have .45?
One word, capacity.

The .40 S&W is a compromise. Not as much capacity as a 9mm and not as much bullet as a .45. The ballistics on paper is pretty much a dead heat between the 9mm (in premium loads), .40 and .45. None are really giving up much of anything to the other as far as "stopping power" is concerned.

I was a die hard .45 guy when the .40 came out. I did not understand why one would want one when the .45 was the standard by which everyone else was judged. I went to the S&W Pistol Armorer's course and they made us an offer we could not refuse. A new 40 Sigma (the originals, not the "VE" junk out now), full size or compact, 3 high cap mags (during the "ban" era) and night sights for $330. I could not say no. I figured if I did not like it I sould at least break even. I still have that gun and it works very well.

I fell into a sweet 10mm S&W a number of years ago for cheap (under $300) and carried that for many years. I recently switched to a Glock 20 (10mm) to lose weight, gain capacity and a light rail. One of the first purchases I made for that gun is a .40 S&W barrel from Lone Wolf. The .40 is easy to load for, more forgiving than the 9mm. The ammo is plentiful and fairly inexpensive. Recoil is moderate. Versitility is very good, not quite my 10 mm, but there is a wide variety of loads and bullet weights.

I never question a man's decision of caliber as long as he can shoot it well. If the .45 is what comforts you, fine. If I had to carry a 9mm, I would do so without hesitation. Modern ammo is the best we have ever seen.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm

One word, capacity.

The .40 S&W is a compromise. Not as much capacity as a 9mm and not as much bullet as a .45. The ballistics on paper is pretty much a dead heat between the 9mm (in premium loads), .40 and .45. None are really giving up much of anything to the other as far as "stopping power" is concerned.

I was a die hard .45 guy when the .40 came out. I did not understand why one would want one when the .45 was the standard by which everyone else was judged. I went to the S&W Pistol Armorer's course and they made us an offer we could not refuse. A new 40 Sigma (the originals, not the "VE" junk out now), full size or compact, 3 high cap mags (during the "ban" era) and night sights for $330. I could not say no. I figured if I did not like it I sould at least break even. I still have that gun and it works very well.

I fell into a sweet 10mm S&W a number of years ago for cheap (under $300) and carried that for many years. I recently switched to a Glock 20 (10mm) to lose weight, gain capacity and a light rail. One of the first purchases I made for that gun is a .40 S&W barrel from Lone Wolf. The .40 is easy to load for, more forgiving than the 9mm. The ammo is plentiful and fairly inexpensive. Recoil is moderate. Versitility is very good, not quite my 10 mm, but there is a wide variety of loads and bullet weights.

I never question a man's decision of caliber as long as he can shoot it well. If the .45 is what comforts you, fine. If I had to carry a 9mm, I would do so without hesitation. Modern ammo is the best we have ever seen.
I recently purchased my first 10mm. A nhc 1911. I love it.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #13

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

I am standardizing my handguns to 9mm! No worry about supply, and multiple calibers, stopping power is more than adequate. Simplifies ammo inventories!! Plus a 12 gauge shotgun. Maybe get a AR platform rifle! What more do I need? Lol

Old 11-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalfun View Post
Why pick .40 when you can have .45?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTV View Post
Why have a 45 when you can have a 50?

I have a 9mm and a 40 S&W. Both will work on 2 legged varmints.
better yet, why not all of them. that's my policy! more the better!

personally i bought my first .40 over twenty years ago, and have had one is some pistol ever since. some people like them and i happen to be one of them. i have heard some of the 40 detractors call it a fad. well over twenty years later, and with as many gun makers that chamber all kinds of firearms in that caliber, and the number of people buying them, i think it has definately outgrown being a fad!
Old 11-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #15

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironballsmiginty View Post
I'm seeing every gun but the sr40 talked about everywhere. I personally love this firearm. great weight and ergonomics, as well as similar recoil to the 9mm, with incredible stopping power. shoots reliably with not one failure to cycle or fire in 400 rounds. the thing is a disposal, will eat any ammo I try. did I just get the only good one or what?
I have an SR40 and love it. It's a great shooter. It was my first center fire pistol. I bought the SR9c shortly after because of ammo cost and I like to shoot a lot. Now that I reload I have the best of both worlds.

Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt, SR40, SR9c, 22/45, 10-22, 77MKII, PT 1911

Old 11-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #16

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

My problem with adding a 40 cal to my collection is I am not buying ammo for it. For handguns I have 44 mag, 357 mag, and 9mm ammo. I don't even bother with 38 spl ammo for my 357 mag's. It's not that much more for a box of 357 ammo.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 597 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 2540

In the semi-auto,
If I go to war,
45acp
If I go plinking,
9mm.

And bullet placement is VERY important

"And Thats The Truth"
as an anti gun nut said.

Last edited by shadecorp; 11-09-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #18

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I have an SR40 locked & loaded on my night stand. I just don't talk too much about it.

Great gun though.

Let your reps know how you feel about your 2nd Amendment Right.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Old 11-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone_South View Post
I have an SR40 locked & loaded on my night stand. I just don't talk too much about it.

Great gun though.
where you been? we were fixing to send a search party out for you!

nothing wrong with the 40 if you like a 40. i personally have had some type of pistol in 40 for over twenty years. just never have had the chance, but the one i really want to try out is the 10mm! the 40 on steroids! yeah buddy!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #20

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

where you been? we were fixing to send a search party out for you!

nothing wrong with the 40 if you like a 40. i personally have had some type of pistol in 40 for over twenty years. just never have had the chance, but the one i really want to try out is the 10mm! the 40 on steroids! yeah buddy!
Me and ZG shot a 10mm and loved it!! We rented one, but the only problem was ammo was $33 a box.

Closed Thread