does no one like the .40? - Page 12
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum >

does no one like the .40?


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #111
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
manta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK.
Posts: 2,305
Liked 1087 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Default

Quote:
Reliable, affordable, and deadly. That sounds like the total package!
Its a bit like cars if you are happy with a cheap reliable crappy car that's OK same goes for firearms.
manta is offline  
 
Old 03-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #112
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jgoertz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 497
Liked 273 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
Its a bit like cars if you are happy with a cheap reliable crappy car that's OK same goes for firearms.
Don't confuse him with the facts, his mind is already made up.
__________________
May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.
jgoertz is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #113
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bige91603's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 842
Liked 86 Times on 63 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Its a bit like cars if you are happy with a cheap reliable crappy car that's OK same goes for firearms.
Sooo Glock?
bige91603 is offline  
 
Old 03-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #114
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
manta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK.
Posts: 2,305
Liked 1087 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Default

Quote:
Don't confuse him with the facts, his mind is already made up.
What facts are those. ? I suppose my mind is made up i have shot glocks and don't like anything about them. There are as reliable handguns that have a better trigger are more accurate and have a better grip. The reason they are so popular among law enforcement is simple cost. For some reason they are more popular among civilian shooters in America than they are here. PS They go bang when you pull the trigger and if that's all you want in a handgun then buy a glock.

Last edited by manta; 03-23-2013 at 07:52 PM.
manta is offline  
 
Old 03-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #115
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 848
Liked 520 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Default

Soooo, this is the Ruger forum right?
__________________
"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain
CrazedJava is offline  
 
Old 03-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #116
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweeper22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,705
Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousM3 View Post
Reliable, affordable, and deadly. That sounds like the total package!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Its a bit like cars if you are happy with a cheap reliable crappy car that's OK same goes for firearms.
I agree with both contradictory points, actually.

Reliable, affordable, deadly (ie- effective, sufficient). These are three of the (arguably the three) most ctritical factors in choosing a defensive handgun. Of course the others are ergonomics/fit (to the individual shooter) and style. None of the latter points are to be dismissed by any means.

But...

I don't prefer 40sw or Glocks. I tend to carry 9mm or 45acp, and not Glocks. However, I actually own 2 Glocks in 40sw. Go figure. I don't love the feel of the caliber or Glock's sight picture or trigger pull, but I've found that they perform quite well for me. And the price is right. And I love that massive Glock sales ultimately equate to more affordable parts, accessories, and conversion (9mm/357sig) barrels.

Glock is far from the be-all, end-all defense pistol. Same with 40sw. But both have very pragmatic applications. There are a number of legitimate advantages to each, IMO.
__________________
"The Future is Unwritten"
sweeper22 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #117
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jgoertz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 497
Liked 273 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousM3

Reliable, affordable, and deadly. That sounds like the total package!
What more do you need? There is always some snob that disses a particular brand of anything, be it a car, TV, gun, or what have you. I don't need a luxury car to commute to work; a Honda does just as well at less cost. If you can afford to commute in a Ferarri, fine; but don't sneer at me for doing the same thing with a Honda.
__________________
May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.
jgoertz is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #118
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22392 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
What facts are those. ? I suppose my mind is made up i have shot glocks and don't like anything about them. There are as reliable handguns that have a better trigger are more accurate and have a better grip. The reason they are so popular among law enforcement is simple cost. For some reason they are more popular among civilian shooters in America than they are here. PS They go bang when you pull the trigger and if that's all you want in a handgun then buy a glock.
not just cost. if you have to equip say a 1000 people with a firearm and you test say ten different ones and five of those ten meet all requirements and pass the qualifications, then they usually go with the lowest cost firearm that passed all the tests.

simple numbers. Glock $475 @1000 units = $475,000
Sig $650 @ 1000 units = $650,000
S & W $550 @ 1000 units = $550,000
SA @ $500 @ 1000 units = $500,000
Colt @ $700 @ 1000 units = $700,000

so if you have to equip for 1000 people and all five were equal in quality, then it would safe to say that in order to save money, wouldn't you also go with the lowest price as well.

cost isn't the only factor, but as with anything it does play a huge role in many choices. Glock performs and does the job it was designed to do and those are simple facts. many people like those simple facts. if a person likes a Glock and it fits them, what's wrong with that?

BTW, i don't own a Glock, but i have shot them on many occasions. would i buy a Glock? would not be my first choice, but if the price were right, yes i would, without hesitation.
Axxe55 is offline  
jgoertz Likes This 
Old 03-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #119
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 812
Liked 538 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Its a bit like cars if you are happy with a cheap reliable crappy car that's OK same goes for firearms.
Why is anyone paying attention to Manta? He acts like he's an authority where guns are concerned, but where he lives he can't even touch one unless he's military, or LE and even they're very restricted. I can't believe he ever shot a Glock, let alone even been in the same room with one. What he's typing is pure fantasy plain and simple.

He knocks the Glock, but fails to mention that the Glock17 is the authorized LE handgun. In 1997 the UK passed the Firearms Amendment Act and even more stricter laws followed that totally banned full automatic and semi auto handguns and shotguns. Even .22's were banned with some exceptions allowed for antique and black powder. Northern Ireland though has less stringent laws, but are very strict non the less.

Manta would need to be licensed just to get his hands on an airgun, so being realistic what the hell does he know except for what he sees on the internet and TV.
gunsmoke11 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #120
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22392 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
Why is anyone paying attention to Manta? He acts like he's an authority where guns are concerned, but where he lives he can't even touch one unless he's military, or LE and even they're very restricted. I can't believe he ever shot a Glock, let alone even been in the same room with one. What he's typing is pure fantasy plain and simple.

He knocks the Glock, but fails to mention that the Glock17 is the authorized LE handgun. In 1997 the UK passed the Firearms Amendment Act and even more stricter laws followed that totally banned full automatic and semi auto handguns and shotguns. Even .22's were banned with some exceptions allowed for antique and black powder. Northern Ireland though has less stringent laws, but are very strict non the less.

Manta would need to be licensed just to get his hands on an airgun, so being realistic what the hell does he know except for what he sees on the internet and TV.
the only part i disagree with is, i think Manta is actually a woman!
Axxe55 is offline  
gunsmoke11 Likes This 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes