Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > does no one like the .40?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Hornady.

40 S & W 165 gr. FTX bullet
MV/ME 1175/506

357 Mag. 158 gr. FTX bullet
MV/ME 1250/548
Axxe - You and Austin have given some pretty convincing statistics. The 40 comes out pretty well.
I wasn't aware ..
Thanks
Old 02-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #92

Liked 476 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK2344 View Post
I tried the .40 one time with my purchase of the Glock 27 and I did not like the round at all. The recoil was not for me or maybe it was the combination of the G27 along with the recoil. I tried about two hundred rounds, then sold the gun and I never looked back. My EDC is the Glock 36 and I love the .45! I also have a Glock 30SF, G19 and G26 and no future plans to ever go back to the .40.
It's one thing not being able to handle the .40, but to put down the G27 and have no complaints about the G26 makes no sense whatsoever. They are both identical except for caliber. Put a 9mm Wolf barrel into a G27 and voila. You got a G26 without even buying another gun.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #93

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The 40 was a compromise. The FBI did a lot of testing and settled on the 10mm but their agents could not handle the recoil. The 10mm load was reduced so S&W came up with the 40 which duplicated the 10mm reduced load. Since that time there have been a lot of advancements in bullet technology so the advantages over the 9mm have shrunk. The 40 is a high pressure cartridge and does have a sharp recoil impulse in a light gun. It might be a little unpleasant but it is controllable. I had one of the original 40SV S&W pistols and it was not bad to shoot. I made the mistake of buying a G23 which I absolutely did not like part of it being the Glocks just dont fit me. The best handling 40 I have shot was the Steyr M40.
The large caliber stopping power reputation came about before the advent of modern HP ammunition. I would rather have a 45 than a 9mm if I had to rely on hardball. Then bigger is better. The 357 gained its reputation with a very fast light bullet (1500fpsx125grx4"). +P+ 9mm loads come close to the 357 and then there is the 357 Sig which is a 40 necked down to 357. Still 9mm. That said, my wife and I each have an SR9c and yes I do have a couple of 45's but no 1911's. I really dont know why I keep the 45's.
JTJ -
Good stuff here.
Question on high pressure cartridges. Realize I know nothing about loading - reloading. Are high pressure cartridges high pressure due to faster burning powders? Are there faster and slower burning powders? I'm imagining slower burning powders due to my familiarity with the .22 Mag round. It is actually a rifle round and when fired from a short barrel - revolver - produces an external flash - due to the powder burning outside of the barrel -- which it was not intended to do. So - my guess is - there are faster and slower burning powders.
Is that how the high pressure cartridges come about - different burn rate powders?

Old 02-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #94

Liked 476 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Police never pick guns because of effectiveness and or quality. Its always what is cheapest. To get police to use glocks, glock practically gave the guns away for free just to get into the system.

Police forces didnt switch from revolver to semi for any other reason than it was cheaper to field a bunch of semis than it was to rearm with revolvers.

Ammo choice is the same. Whomever is selling 40short and weak to the gubbment and police simply undercut competitor bidding.

Its got nothing to do with anything but money. Picking a gun and caliber based off what a beuracrat picks is foolhardy at best. If you have honest opinions besides that and you like it thats ok.
I'm sorry, but have to respectfully disagree. Until recent years the NYPD made recruits pay for both uniforms and their weapons. The only things issued were a shield and cap device. They even made you pay for the badge pin, which was 25 cents. Their cost for equipping the recruits was actually peanuts. Today they supply everything and make sure quality is excellent. You can't put people out on the street with poor equipment, cause in a 35,000 member dept it won't last and replacement is more costly all around. It also can become dangerous, I know. The officers do get a yearly uniform allowance to maintain their equipment.

After 3 years the gun becomes yours, but the dept armorer does the repairs and replaces defective magazines. In some cases weapons are returned to the manufacturer for repair, or replacement. They recently disallowed the Kahr 9mm for off duty carry, because they said they had too many accidental discharges and the company refused to stiffen the trigger pull. The Glocks, Smiths and Sigs are the only authorized service weapons and cost of the weapons have nothing to do with it. They were selected for their quality after a great amount of testing. Believe me they just love to test.

It is true that money stopped them from switching over from revolvers years ago, but it wasn't the cost of the weapons. It was fear of lawsuits being filed. They believed then and believe now that automatics, which fire faster and have a greater ammo capacity, have a greater chance of being involved in incidents where more innocent bystanders, as well as other cops, might get shot by a stray bullet. It's as simple as that. Bad publicity and big payouts scare the crap out of them. Also, perpetrators with multiple gun shot wounds looks bad in the mainstream news.

Naturally depts do have budgets and their costs are monitored by the politicians. It's been shown over and over that when times are getting tuff it's security(police) that are cut first, but switching over to the .40 from the 9mm has nothing to do with saving money. In my county they're switching over and so is the adjoining county. The .40 is a better man stopper than the 9mm. Many times bigger and slower is better than faster and noisier, but the ballistics experts on here can better discuss that.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 02-26-2013 at 06:53 AM.
jgoertz Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #95

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I don't buy the arguement that police only use .40 cal because Glock sold them on cheap weapons. That might have had something to do with the initial introduction, but no way the continued use. Police officers would never put up with having a weapon they could not feel comfortable with, their lives and the lives of others are on the line. Further, almost all police forces have strong unions and if the officers were that uncomfortable with .40 cal I would bet they would have gotten rid of them a long time ago. The .40 cal is a very good round.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #96
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1377 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 472

The 40 cal is a fine cartridge. But 40 cal ammo costs just as much, if not more than 357 ammo. If I am going to pay a magnum price for ammo I am going to get a magnum cartridge.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-07-2013, 03:48 AM   #97

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
The 40 cal is a fine cartridge. But 40 cal ammo costs just as much, if not more than 357 ammo. If I am going to pay a magnum price for ammo I am going to get a magnum cartridge.
Where are you buying ammo? Around here 40 goes for 17-22$ per 50 and 357 mag goes for 25-35$ per 50?

Old 03-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #98

Likes Given: 1

Purchased the KSR.40 yesterday and proceeded to test on the range. After firing one magazine, the gun had a jamming problem. According to the store, the incident was rare. They replaced my purchase because i never left the store with the firearm. I now truly enjoy the gun.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:38 AM   #99
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1377 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
Where are you buying ammo? Around here 40 goes for 17-22$ per 50 and 357 mag goes for 25-35$ per 50?
Several online vendors were selling Fiocchi 357 125 gr JSP for $18. Even Walmart sells American Eagle 357 ammo for $23, UMC under $25. Those are pre panic prices. I would shoot double tap or corbon if someone tried to charge the prices you are quoting. If I am going to pay a premium price for ammo I am going to get premium ammo. Right now I can get PMC 357 158 gr jsp for $20. I haven't bought any because I have plenty of Fiocchi and I am not going to gouge my friends reselling the ammo. You know what they say, what goes around comes around.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-19-2013, 05:18 AM   #100

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a Glock 22 40cal and a Glock 19 9mm.
They are shoot so much alike that I can afford to practice all day long with my 19 and know that if the need arises, I can pick up the G22 and get the job done!

I like the 40 just fine!

Closed Thread