carrying spare mag in back pocket
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > carrying spare mag in back pocket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Default carrying spare mag in back pocket

So I carry my lc9 everyday. Currently I don't have a mag carrier. So I carry my spare mag in my back pocket. This means I sit on it when I'm in public. When I'm at home I'll pull it out a.d set it on whatever surface I'm next to. However do I need to worry about the magazine bending/breaking etc?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #2

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

It might bend eventually. I keep 2 13round xd45 mags in my front pocket.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #3

Liked 1847 Times on 1031 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

I sometimes carry a 1911 mag in my back pocket. But I prefer a cargo pocket if I have one.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1762 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 5341

I try to use my double single stack case for that very reason. I don't want to damage the mags.
However I will throw a single mag in my back pocket when I head out without preparation.

I have never had any noticable changes to the mags, they are pretty tough.

What I have had a problem with is 'stuff' migrating into the mag.
Stuff has included a piece of cigar wrapper, pocket lint and I think even some chocolate or caramel (from a wrapper?).

The 'stuff' is what i worry about.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #5

Now on a somewhat unrelated note, do u carry with a round in the chamber? I do simply because 1. I want to be up and gunning asap if there's a threat and 2. I want the maximum number of rounds in my gun as possible. Unfortunately my father saw me unload my gun tonight before putting it in my safe and is now giving me a lot of flak because "its not safe"

Old 11-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1953 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 2123

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
Now on a somewhat unrelated note, do u carry with a round in the chamber? I do simply because 1. I want to be up and gunning asap if there's a threat and 2. I want the maximum number of rounds in my gun as possible. Unfortunately my father saw me unload my gun tonight before putting it in my safe and is now giving me a lot of flak because "its not safe"
I may get kicked out of the dad's union for saying this, but dad's wrong on this one. In my opinion, carrying one in the tube is the only sensible way to carry. If you need to use the gun, you will barely have time to draw and fire, much less draw, rack the round, then fire. A gun is a dangerous tool. It's supposed to be dangerous. It's also a tool that can be carried safely by a careful person. The person is what makes the gun safe, not the round that is or is not in the tube.

I carry an XDm which has no manual safety. The gun has a round in the chamber and the striker is set. My safety is between my ears and the lever for the safety is my trigger finger which stays OUTSIDE the trigger guard until the gun is on target. Rigid discipline of the trigger finger is essential no matter what kind of gun you are carrying.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Eturnsdale Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 02:17 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock
So I carry my lc9 everyday. Currently I don't have a mag carrier. So I carry my spare mag in my back pocket. This means I sit on it when I'm in public. When I'm at home I'll pull it out a.d set it on whatever surface I'm next to. However do I need to worry about the magazine bending/breaking etc?
I carry my Kel tec pf9 mag in the knife pocket, or whatever you call it, on the right hand pocket.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 658

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
Dad's going to have to accept that you are an adult and are responsible for your firearms and safety. This reminds me of when my son was in his 20's and bought a crotch rocket, my mother couldn't believe that I would "let" him ride it. "He's a grown man" I told her. I'm sure if she was younger, she would have grabbed him by his ear and pulled him off that bike.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

You carry IWB? Wal Mart's got a few holsters with mag holders. I got the full sized blackhawk and it's great. Costs $15 compared to the $35 I paid for the composite holster for my glock and I actually like it better. Reversible thumb strap and hook, belt loops on both sides.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #10

Yes I do. I don't like the mag holster combined into gun holster. If I'm reaching for my second mag I don't want to do a cross draw.