Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ruger Handgun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/)
-   -   carrying spare mag in back pocket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/carrying-spare-mag-back-pocket-75663/)

potentialglock 11-05-2012 12:29 AM

carrying spare mag in back pocket

So I carry my lc9 everyday. Currently I don't have a mag carrier. So I carry my spare mag in my back pocket. This means I sit on it when I'm in public. When I'm at home I'll pull it out a.d set it on whatever surface I'm next to. However do I need to worry about the magazine bending/breaking etc?

lbwar15 11-05-2012 12:34 AM

It might bend eventually. I keep 2 13round xd45 mags in my front pocket.

Rick1967 11-05-2012 12:37 AM

I sometimes carry a 1911 mag in my back pocket. But I prefer a cargo pocket if I have one.

KG7IL 11-05-2012 01:13 AM

I try to use my double single stack case for that very reason. I don't want to damage the mags.
However I will throw a single mag in my back pocket when I head out without preparation.

I have never had any noticable changes to the mags, they are pretty tough.

What I have had a problem with is 'stuff' migrating into the mag.
Stuff has included a piece of cigar wrapper, pocket lint and I think even some chocolate or caramel (from a wrapper?).

The 'stuff' is what i worry about.

potentialglock 11-05-2012 01:26 AM

Now on a somewhat unrelated note, do u carry with a round in the chamber? I do simply because 1. I want to be up and gunning asap if there's a threat and 2. I want the maximum number of rounds in my gun as possible. Unfortunately my father saw me unload my gun tonight before putting it in my safe and is now giving me a lot of flak because "its not safe"

Balota 11-05-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potentialglock (Post 1002303)
Now on a somewhat unrelated note, do u carry with a round in the chamber? I do simply because 1. I want to be up and gunning asap if there's a threat and 2. I want the maximum number of rounds in my gun as possible. Unfortunately my father saw me unload my gun tonight before putting it in my safe and is now giving me a lot of flak because "its not safe"

I may get kicked out of the dad's union for saying this, but dad's wrong on this one. In my opinion, carrying one in the tube is the only sensible way to carry. If you need to use the gun, you will barely have time to draw and fire, much less draw, rack the round, then fire. A gun is a dangerous tool. It's supposed to be dangerous. It's also a tool that can be carried safely by a careful person. The person is what makes the gun safe, not the round that is or is not in the tube.

I carry an XDm which has no manual safety. The gun has a round in the chamber and the striker is set. My safety is between my ears and the lever for the safety is my trigger finger which stays OUTSIDE the trigger guard until the gun is on target. Rigid discipline of the trigger finger is essential no matter what kind of gun you are carrying.

Rugers9 11-05-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potentialglock
So I carry my lc9 everyday. Currently I don't have a mag carrier. So I carry my spare mag in my back pocket. This means I sit on it when I'm in public. When I'm at home I'll pull it out a.d set it on whatever surface I'm next to. However do I need to worry about the magazine bending/breaking etc?

I carry my Kel tec pf9 mag in the knife pocket, or whatever you call it, on the right hand pocket.

Mongo 11-05-2012 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potentialglock (Post 1002303)

Dad's going to have to accept that you are an adult and are responsible for your firearms and safety. This reminds me of when my son was in his 20's and bought a crotch rocket, my mother couldn't believe that I would "let" him ride it. "He's a grown man" I told her. I'm sure if she was younger, she would have grabbed him by his ear and pulled him off that bike.

slog 11-05-2012 03:24 AM

You carry IWB? Wal Mart's got a few holsters with mag holders. I got the full sized blackhawk and it's great. Costs $15 compared to the $35 I paid for the composite holster for my glock and I actually like it better. Reversible thumb strap and hook, belt loops on both sides.

potentialglock 11-05-2012 12:16 PM

Yes I do. I don't like the mag holster combined into gun holster. If I'm reaching for my second mag I don't want to do a cross draw.