Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > best SD ammo for 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Default best SD ammo for 9mm

I just got my CC permit and am new to the SD ammo scene. Obviously big names like hornady stick out but what are some good quality brands for low quality price? I don't want to skimp on things that could save my life but I'm realistic in the amount of money in my budget.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 947 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 391

Winchester PDX1 124gr +p are good, just switched from Federal Hydra-shoks 124gr.

forumrunner_20121030_183729.jpg

The picture isn't great, but Federal on the left, PDX1 on the right. Approximately 1/4" hole vs 1/2" hole! PDX1 is a much nastier round, and costs about $5-$6 less per box.

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:03 AM   #3

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock
I don't want to skimp on things that could save my life but I'm realistic in the amount of money in my budget.
Look into Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST or Hydra-Shock. All three are available in 50 round "LE" packaging that only costs a couple dollars more than the 20 round boxes of the same loads. You will probably need to buy it on line to find it but its worth searching for.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19540 Times on 11091 Posts
Likes Given: 49188

most any of the name brand SD should work just fine. personally i would go for what functions perfectly in my pistol vs. what is the most super dooper, and, best and newest expanding ammo available. doesn't mean a lot if the ammo won't function reliabily in your firearm.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 755 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
I just got my CC permit and am new to the SD ammo scene. Obviously big names like hornady stick out but what are some good quality brands for low quality price? I don't want to skimp on things that could save my life but I'm realistic in the amount of money in my budget.
Practice with the cheaper stuff make sure what you chose for SD functions reliably in your piece and you're good to go!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:33 AM   #6

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

I've been practicing with fmj Winchester white box. Should I still practice with maybe 50 rounds of the SD ammo to make sure it runs thru my pistol?

Old 10-31-2012, 03:16 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19540 Times on 11091 Posts
Likes Given: 49188

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
I've been practicing with fmj Winchester white box. Should I still practice with maybe 50 rounds of the SD ammo to make sure it runs thru my pistol?
of course! how would you know whether it will function in your firearm unless you try it out. and i would shoot way more than 50 rounds to know for sure. i prefer a couple hundred myself. the more the better, plus it's good practice. none of my firearms are used for SD/HD until they have had at least a few hundred rounds through them. this includes pistols, rifles or shotguns.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I use Hornady Zombie ammo. Its the same exact thing as their critical defense stuff, but a few bucks cheaper. As far as cycling in your gun, i have tested it in 4 different guns (Ruger SR9C, Springfield XD, Smith and Wesson M&P and a Glock) and i have never had an issue. I usually test with 5 or so rounds. Since the Hornady Critical Defense / Zombie ammo comes with 25 rounds in a box, this leaves you with 20 rounds to load with. 5 rounds usually gives you a good feel for a round's ability to cycle in your gun.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #9

A lot depends on the type of 9mm you are using. Smaller barrels create different ballistics on the 9mm round. If you are using a smaller barrel, the Speer gold dot 124gr jhp has shown some good test results. If you are carrying a longer barrel the federal hydro shocks 124 gr, as mentioned earlier look good too. Try a Internet search for ballistics and type in the length of your barrel or weapon make and caliber. Here is a start:

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

Old 11-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #10

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

We have 9,000 posts about 9mm ammo. why start another?

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/