Best .22 Ruger Mark III ammo? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > Best .22 Ruger Mark III ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMGunGirl View Post
i know that sometimes the ammo you use can affect accuracy and most of the shooting i do is target. Does anybody have any suggestions on the best, most accurate .22 rounds?
Accuracy is a lot like speed. The final arbiter is often, "How much money you got?" That said, it's been my observation that .22s do not always adhere to the "spend a lot, get a lot" theory.
Different guns have different preferences. In order to determine what your gun prefers, you will need to put it on the bench and check to see what actually shoots the best in your pistol. Buy some different brands of ammo and start ammo testing. Many times it will not be the ammo that cost the most. I haven't really put my Ruger MK3 on the bench much aside from sighting it in. I can still put everything in one ragged hole at 10 to 15 yards when I do my job. Keep them reasonably clean & lubed and they aren't fussy at all. I can count the number of malfunctions on one hand over the three years (and several thousand rounds) I've owned it. All off those were dud ammo.
I tend to stick with CCI in times (when it's on the shelves) simply because I find it to be consistently good. A lot less of the "Oh crap I got me a bad batch" issues. With the current ammo shortage, you may have to take what you can get. (I had to buy Remington..I never buy Remington if given any sort of choice.)
Start with some CCI Green Tag and or/Pistol Match, and sample some other target or standard velocity ammo that's commonly available in your area (if any). Eley and RWS make a number of different products for the serious competitor, and you will pay a premium for it. While your at it, try a box of MiniMags and some other common high velocity stuff to see how it does. You may be surprised. My Kimber Rifle shoots Mini Mags nearly as well as Eley Black box. It's certainly close enough that tripling the cost of ammo really isn't worth my time.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 07-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2111 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Accuracy is a lot like speed. The final arbiter is often, "How much money you got?" That said, it's been my observation that .22s do not always adhere to the "spend a lot, get a lot" theory.
Different guns have different preferences. In order to determine what your gun prefers, you will need to put it on the bench and check to see what actually shoots the best in your pistol. Buy some different brands of ammo and start ammo testing. Many times it will not be the ammo that cost the most. I haven't really put my Ruger MK3 on the bench much aside from sighting it in. I can still put everything in one ragged hole at 10 to 15 yards when I do my job. Keep them reasonably clean & lubed and they aren't fussy at all. I can count the number of malfunctions on one hand over the three years (and several thousand rounds) I've owned it. All off those were dud ammo.
I tend to stick with CCI in times (when it's on the shelves) simply because I find it to be consistently good. A lot less of the "Oh crap I got me a bad batch" issues. With the current ammo shortage, you may have to take what you can get. (I had to buy Remington..I never buy Remington if given any sort of choice.)
Start with some CCI Green Tag and or/Pistol Match, and sample some other target or standard velocity ammo that's commonly available in your area (if any). Eley and RWS make a number of different products for the serious competitor, and you will pay a premium for it. While your at it, try a box of MiniMags and some other common high velocity stuff to see how it does. You may be surprised. My Kimber Rifle shoots Mini Mags nearly as well as Eley Black box. It's certainly close enough that tripling the cost of ammo really isn't worth my time.
I did this with my Mark II. I tried about 10 different brands of ammo shooting from a bench to find out what grouped best. Wolf Match Target, SKB, and Eley Target Rifle seemed to group best in mine. Eley Target Pistol didn't group quite as well as the rifle load for some reason, and oddly enough the Target Pistol grouped better out of my Ruger 10/22 than the Target Rifle load did. So, each gun will have it's preferences.