The "American Express" Ruger.....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > The "American Express" Ruger.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default The "American Express" Ruger.....

.......never leave home without it, that is. This Ruger Blackhawk left Southport Connecticutt as a .357 Magnum. Somebody had the audacity to return it to Ruger for the transfer bar conversion.

I removed the transfer bar and put the action back like God intended, had a steel Old Army grip frame fitted, fitted a cam-cut ejector rod housing with crescent ejector head, and bore out to .44 Special.

Grips are walnut by Cary Chapman, holster is by Bob Mernickle, a PS-6 SA, which is at my side daily for the past two years.

Bob Wright

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #2

Likes Given: 3

Now if it was only .45 Colt it would be perfect! Seriously, I like your outfit alot. I bought a Ruger Flattop convertible 45C/45 ACP 4 5/8" and love it. I have the same gun in 44 Special but the 45 sees alot more use. Nice post!

Old 10-28-2012, 01:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Wheeler View Post
Now if it was only .45 Colt it would be perfect! Seriously, I like your outfit alot. I bought a Ruger Flattop convertible 45C/45 ACP 4 5/8" and love it. I have the same gun in 44 Special but the 45 sees alot more use. Nice post!
I, too, like the .45 Colt. But at the time, all Ruger .45 Blackhawks were made on the .44 Magnum frame, so were slightly larger than my .44 Special. I know the New Model Flat Tops are on the smaller MR frame, but they are not three-screw models.

Bob Wright

Old 10-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #4

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
.......never leave home without it, that is. This Ruger Blackhawk left Southport Connecticutt as a .357 Magnum. Somebody had the audacity to return it to Ruger for the transfer bar conversion.

I removed the transfer bar and put the action back like God intended, had a steel Old Army grip frame fitted, fitted a cam-cut ejector rod housing with crescent ejector head, and bore out to .44 Special.

Grips are walnut by Cary Chapman, holster is by Bob Mernickle, a PS-6 SA, which is at my side daily for the past two years.

Bob Wright
Speaking for all OM Blackhawk owners past & present --THANK YOU

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #5

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

What is the negative of having the transfer bar in there? It only looks useful to me.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
What is the negative of having the transfer bar in there? It only looks useful to me.
The main argument is that is not the way single actions were originally designed. Adding the transfer bar does nothing to improve the action of the revolver. In fact, the after-the-fact transfer bar installation leaves one with a very tough trigger pull and a very rough action in general.

I have had three Rugers with the transfer bar addition, and they all had a clatter-clack action. Unnoticed by some, but blasphemy to seasoned old time Single Action hands. Sort of like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

And useful? What use does it serve, other than to break up the profile of an otherwise svelte looking hammer? Ever break a transfer bar? You're out of business then and there.

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; 10-29-2012 at 02:53 AM.
towboater Likes This 
Old 10-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #7

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright

The main argument is that is not the way single actions were originally designed. Adding the transfer bar does nothing to improve the action of the revolver. In fact, the after-the-fact transfer bar installation leaves one with a very tough trigger pull and a very rough action in general.

I have had three Rugers with the transfer bar addition, and they all had a clatter-clack action. Unnoticed by some, but blasphemy to seasoned old time Single Action hands. Sort of like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

And useful? What use does it serve, other than to break up the profile of an otherwise svelte looking hammer? Ever break a transfer bar? You're out of business then and there.

Bob Wright
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #8

Liked 2489 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 2396

The only thing you accomplished by removing the transfer bar is turn a six shooter into a 5 shooter. I own several Ruger SA's the oldest is a blackhawk in 45 colt it turned 27 years old this year. i've shot thousands of rounds through it, ammo that would make a 44 mag. blush. Never broke a transfer bar.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
The only thing you accomplished by removing the transfer bar is turn a six shooter into a 5 shooter. I own several Ruger SA's.... Never broke a transfer bar.
I turned a six shooter into five shooter that suited me, with a very smooth action.

Your 27 year old Blackhawk was made with a transfer bar!

And I have broken a transfer bar or two.

And I've had my oldest Blackhawk fifty-four years. I bought this Blackhawk in May, 1958.

From my log book, it stands at 17,746 rounds fired.

And this .45 Colt Blackhawk dates to June, 1987:

It stands at 19,361 rounds fired in my log book.

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; 10-29-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #10

Let me hasten to clarify my comments regarding the transfer bar action.

First of all, Ruger Single Actions made prior to 1973 are the three-screw models, made without the transfer bar, and having the half-cock loading position.

Ruger Single Actions made after 1973 are New Model guns, and were designed with the transfer bar action incorporated into the gun.

After Ruger introduced the New Models, they offered to remodel, free of charge, older guns made prior to 1973. This installation is a hybrid between orignial guns and New Model guns.

The after-market installation is not so smooth nor sophisticated an installation, which is my objection to the conversion, plus my own bias.

New Models, on the other hand, can be pretty slick revolvers, and I own both, and have put thousands of round through each. But my own preference is toward the originals, as they are more closely related to the Colt and current copies.

There.

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; 10-29-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Garadex Likes This