Advice, Please: M&P Shield 9mm vs. Ruger SR9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum >

Advice, Please: M&P Shield 9mm vs. Ruger SR9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Advice, Please: M&P Shield 9mm vs. Ruger SR9

Hello, all:

As you can see from my post count, I am new to this forum and rather new to the shooting world in general. My son, age 16, has been shooting for about two years with his grandfather and from what instructors tell me, he a natural. In March, I bought him a Ruger MK III 22 Target pistol. I started shooting with him and caught the bug.

After some formal instruction, I bought a CZ 75BD Police, Berretta 92FS Inox and an H&K P30, all of which are 9mm.

I live in Pennsylvania and am going to apply for a CC permit shortly. After more instruction and practice, I would like to buy a firearm specifically for this purpose. I intend to carry IWB.

I am looking at the Shield and Ruger SR 9. Both seem to fit the bill well.

Thank you for any advice or input you can give me.

Dan

P.S. It may be redundant, but I am posting this thread in the M&P sub-forum, as well.

Last edited by dkleiner; 05-07-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Advice, Please: M&P Shield 9mm vs. Ruger SR9

I'm a little biased. My S&W's are older, and it have a 2 y.o. SR9. I'd have no issue carrying the SR as an open carry gun,..but it's a little too big and blocky for Concealed carry except under a jacket or winter coat in a shoulder rig( for me anyway, and I'm 5'8" and some change. It's really the first DAO gun I have ever had( aside from it's baby brother the LC9) you might want to look at the 9c, it's about 3/8ths of an inch shorter barrel, and with the 17rd. Mag, the same grip as the Full size SR. I had one briefly. My friend also has the 40c, and I had never shot any 40's before until his about a month ago. Nice and smooth. Try em both out of you can....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 05-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #3

Liked 490 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Find a range that rents, shoot them both. Whichever performs and fits you best, go with it. I carry a Shield, so I tilt in that direction, but that's me.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I'm a little biased. My S&W's are older, and I have a 2 y.o. SR9. I'd have no issue carrying the SR as an open carry gun,..but it's a little too big and blocky for Concealed carry except under a jacket or winter coat in a shoulder rig( for me anyway, and I'm 5'8" and some change. It's really the first DAO gun I have ever had( aside from it's baby brother the LC9) you might want to look at the 9c, it's about 3/8ths of an inch shorter barrel, and with the 17rd. Mag, the same grip as the Full size SR. I had one briefly. My friend also has the 40c, and I had never shot any 40's before until his about a month ago. Nice and smooth. Try em both out of you can....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...