Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   SIG Sauer Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f172/)
-   -   Why are Sigs so expensive? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f172/why-sigs-so-expensive-85868/)

Squawk 03-06-2013 01:18 AM

I've been eyeing a Sig P226 Scorpion. It is a sweet looking gun IMO that comes with a not so sweet Price tag ($1100). What is so special about it other than the paint job? I need someone to give me a reason not to buy one :p

It would look good next to my M&P 9 VTAC

winds-of-change 03-06-2013 01:20 AM

I have a Sig. I think they are very solid, well built guns. I paid a good amount for my Sig but I'm never going to have to replace it and it is soooo sweeet to shoot. If you buy a Sig, you won't regret spending that much for it. Of course, if you wait a little bit maybe the price will go down. I paid abouat $650 for my Sig P238 about a year or so ago. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

misterballistic 03-06-2013 01:33 AM

Without delving into cliché supply and demand explanations, the P226 is a proven design that enjoys a stellar reputation. It's used by military and police all over the world because it meets their stringent needs and built so well. Civilians often look to see what the pros use and want the same. Sig Sauer therefore commands a high price just like BMW's, Rolexes, or anything perceived to be exceptional.

sdiver35 03-06-2013 01:35 AM

Just keep looking, there are deals out there. I do think the grips and finish are the only difference on the Scorpion model though. I bought a used 226R combat with factory threaded barrel for $799.00 last year - like new. It retails for around the same as the scorpion.

Good luck, and as winds said they are worth it.

trip286 03-06-2013 01:44 AM

I've always liked the natural feel of a Sig. But, after handling Cinder's, I think they are a bit over priced fit what they are. They're great guns, for sure.

I have to agree with sdiver, see if you can find a used one, or just a different sub model. They can be found, certified used (and I think Sig is one of the VERY few makers that does that), or even new, for around 800 or less if you go with a slightly different model.

I think Cinder's 226 Navy runs around 9 hundred new. Now that is one damn GREAT shooting gun. And after shooting my 1911 and then switching to hers, I was like, "wait... It's not empty yet?" I've grown accustomed to 7 rounds.

Ya know what? On second thought, just buy the damned thing.

Squawk 03-06-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
I've always liked the natural feel of a Sig. But, after handling Cinder's, I think they are a bit over priced fit what they are. They're great guns, for sure.

I have to agree with sdiver, see if you can find a used one, or just a different sub model. They can be found, certified used (and I think Sig is one of the VERY few makers that does that), or even new, for around 800 or less if you go with a slightly different model.

I think Cinder's 226 Navy runs around 9 hundred new. Now that is one damn GREAT shooting gun. And after shooting my 1911 and then switching to hers, I was like, "wait... It's not empty yet?" I've grown accustomed to 7 rounds.

Ya know what? On second thought, just buy the damned thing.

Dammit Trip. I wanted to be talked out of buying it. :) Now Im gonna have to sell a gun and buy. I'm screwed.

robocop10mm 03-06-2013 01:52 AM

20 years ago there was a tarriff on handguns from Germany. I am not sure it still exists. Back then a P-220 was about $500 in the US and barely over $300 in Germany. People got used to paying a premium for Sigs so the pricing continued even though substantial portions are made in the USA.

I agree a Sig is like a Beemer. Not necessarily better than a Cadillac, just more expensive. A Ford (Ruger) will get you from point A to point B just as well, but you just dont get the style points.

trip286 03-06-2013 01:53 AM

Whoa, slow your roll... Watcha sellin?

hmh 03-06-2013 02:00 AM

Have you ever heard someone say they didn't like a sig they owned? The only firearm I have gotten rid of and regretted was a 239 in .40. Traded it with a shot out barrel for a brand new glock. Regret it everytime I think about it.

sdiver35 03-06-2013 02:13 AM

$919.00 no reserve http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331702833

Do it - lol