Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > To trade or not to trade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default To trade or not to trade?

I have a Series 70 Colt Government Model with an epoxy coating baked on the externals and it's nice looking, but I only shoot it once every 5 years or so. while it's the only .45 I have, I prefer prefer 9mm for a variety of reasons. If I keep the Colt, then I will always have a nice gun I don't use. If I sell the or trade the Colt, I can get another Sig. I will note I already own one Sig 9mm, and multiple glocks in 9mm, and other handguns as well in 9mm. So, keep or ditch the basically unused Colt?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19517 Times on 11079 Posts
Likes Given: 49145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have a Series 70 Colt Government Model with an epoxy coating baked on the externals and it's nice looking, but I only shoot it once every 5 years or so. while it's the only .45 I have, I prefer prefer 9mm for a variety of reasons. If I keep the Colt, then I will always have a nice gun I don't use. If I sell the or trade the Colt, I can get another Sig. I will note I already own one Sig 9mm, and multiple glocks in 9mm, and other handguns as well in 9mm. So, keep or ditch the basically unused Colt?
personally if i owned a series 70 Colt, it would be hard to find something to trade it for. but i am more predisposed to wanting 1911's than any other type of pistol.

why don't you shoot it more? not trying to be sarcastic, but wanting to understand your reasons for not shooting it very much. my 1911's in 45 are some of my most shot pistols. my Asta A100 in 9mm is one sweet shooting pistol, but tends get shot much less that all the others for some strange reason. i have thought several times of getting rid of it for something else, but just can't seem to part with it.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I guess I don't shoot it much for several reasons. The first being .45 is more expensive than 9mm ammo. I suppose second is that I find the Colt to kinda be a pain to disassemble and reassemble (especially compared to glocks and Sigs). I bought the Colt about 15 years ago because at least in the Clovis, New Mexico area they were sought after at the time so I thought maybe it would be good to have one.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #4

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The Series 70 Colt 1911 pistols are much sought after. These handguns increase in value each year. You will not have a problem trading it off for an imported pistol.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I agree, the value of such a fine piece of history will only go up, I'm sure a collector will give you a fine chunk of change for it. I love .45's .. I think they are sexy! Plus they will remove a lot of real-estate from an intruders chest in short order.. Each to their own of course

Old 08-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #6

Liked 350 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 70

My general rule is not to sell anything I may regret later. I've already made that mistake and was able to recover on 2 out of 3 deals, but I'll never see that SKS again.

I understand .45 is more expensive to shoot. I own a .45 myself though I don't own a 1911 platform. I think it's worth keeping something in .45 for caliber diversity purposes and you may find your circumstances change to where you will be able to shoot it more often. That will be difficult to do and possibly impossible to replace if you trade it.

Considering you already have 9mm handguns, why trade this off to get another? If you just want another 9mm, consider saving up and getting it later rather than making a deal you may regret.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 08-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava
My general rule is not to sell anything I may regret later. I've already made that mistake and was able to recover on 2 out of 3 deals, but I'll never see that SKS again.

I understand .45 is more expensive to shoot. I own a .45 myself though I don't own a 1911 platform. I think it's worth keeping something in .45 for caliber diversity purposes and you may find your circumstances change to where you will be able to shoot it more often. That will be difficult to do and possibly impossible to replace if you trade it.

Considering you already have 9mm handguns, why trade this off to get another? If you just want another 9mm, consider saving up and getting it later rather than making a deal you may regret.
Good advice. Think you are right. I'll try to be patient and just slowly save.