Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   SIG Sauer Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f172/)
-   -   tell me about p938? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f172/tell-me-about-p938-79245/)

BeyondTheBox 12-23-2012 09:14 PM

tell me about p938?

What's the good, bad and ugly?

Does it have the same issues I read a lot about the 238?

I'm real interested and I know there's bound to be varying opinions and some bad apples, but I want it all so I can formulate my own opinion based on everything.

Also just overall experience with Sig in general. Good qc and cs? Lifetime warranty without a bunch of hassle?

Thanks y'all

CarmelPaneristi 12-24-2012 02:17 AM

I am very happy with mine. I had a 238 that I loved and sold it to buy my 938 when they came out with it. I have had a lot of trial and error in finding what I consider the ultimate concealed carry piece (size, sights, trigger, stopping power etc). The sig 938 is as close to perfection for me as you can get taking into consideration all of the variables. It really depends on if you like a single action trigger and carrying cocked and locked. If so is a great every day carry piece.

BeyondTheBox 12-24-2012 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarmelPaneristi (Post 1063758)
I am very happy with mine. I had a 238 that I loved and sold it to buy my 938 when they came out with it. I have had a lot of trial and error in finding what I consider the ultimate concealed carry piece (size, sights, trigger, stopping power etc). The sig 938 is as close to perfection for me as you can get taking into consideration all of the variables. It really depends on if you like a single action trigger and carrying cocked and locked. If so is a great every day carry piece.

I'm single action only. I too have been on this search and when these micro pistols started flooding the market I thought they were it, but most are DAO or like the sig 238 and Colt Mustang too expensive for me to get a 380. I just don't see any point in this round. Terribly low velocity and even worse torque. Invalidates it as a possible self defensive round for me. But now that this 938 is out it just seems right. I've gone back and forth on both the 238 and Bersa Thunder several times, but in the end I never pulled the trigger because they just went enough for me.

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure this will be a soon addition for me. The weight is half that of what I carry now and that's a huge plus for me.

clr8ter 12-24-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Terribly low velocity and even worse torque.
Torque???

I bought the Rosewood model, it's awesome! My complaints: comes with only 1 mag, extras cost $39 and are hard to find right now. If you load the mag, insert the mag, and chamber a round, the slide will partially strip off the next round below the one it chambered. When you push the mag release, it doesn't drop. You have to pull it out, and the partially stripped round comes completely out of the mag, and falls out the magwell. This is a documented thing, check out youtube. I would buy the gun again, though.

BeyondTheBox 12-24-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clr8ter (Post 1064106)

Torque???

I bought the Rosewood model, it's awesome! My complaints: comes with only 1 mag, extras cost $39 and are hard to find right now. If you load the mag, insert the mag, and chamber a round, the slide will partially strip off the next round below the one it chambered. When you push the mag release, it doesn't drop. You have to pull it out, and the partially stripped round comes completely out of the mag, and falls out the magwell. This is a documented thing, check out youtube. I would buy the gun again, though.

Good to know. I guess the mag thing might be slightly obnoxious, but seems not to interrupt the functioning of the firearm during firing and that's the most important thing. I'm sure there's a way to fix this too. Thanks for the fair and honest experience. This was very helpful.

Torque isn't the word I wanted, I meant energy, measured in ft/lb, like torque. Lol

clr8ter 12-24-2012 10:16 PM

Well, watch the video. Seems like Sig purposely made changes to the mag to improve feeding over earlier versions of the P238, which is essentially the same gun. They shortened the feed lips, and changed the angle of the follower, and several other things I don't remember, and all this makes the gun feed better, but creates this new problem......

clr8ter 12-25-2012 01:47 PM

Ya want the Super ugly? Try taking the mag apart. Directions in the manual useless - super hard to do, follower is a VERY tight squeeze past feed lips - spring looks like it goes one way, it doesn't, it goes the opposite way. I'd avoid taking it apart at all, even to clean. It''s small enough, just hose it down with a can cleaner. If you must take it apart, mark the spring's orientation 1st. If you get the spring in backwards, you turn the mag into a 5 shot instead of 6. I discovered the problem before I shot it, so I don't know if it would affect functioning.

sdiver35 12-25-2012 02:33 PM

I have the Nightmare model and it originally had a 20% FTE rate. When I contacted Sig the asked which ammo I was using and then issued a call tag to send it in for repair. Roughly two weeks later I got it back and it has fired fine since then. I guess that was the ugly - in additional to the cost of the magazines.

The good - compact, concealable, perfectly balanced.

My wife has a Shield and I like it too, but prefer my 938 when going out.

CarmelPaneristi 12-25-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clr8ter
Ya want the Super ugly? Try taking the mag apart. Directions in the manual useless - super hard to do, follower is a VERY tight squeeze past feed lips - spring looks like it goes one way, it doesn't, it goes the opposite way. I'd avoid taking it apart at all, even to clean. It''s small enough, just hose it down with a can cleaner. If you must take it apart, mark the spring's orientation 1st. If you get the spring in backwards, you turn the mag into a 5 shot instead of 6. I discovered the problem before I shot it, so I don't know if it would affect functioning.

Ditto that. Tried to take apart once and gave up after an hour.

BeyondTheBox 12-25-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdiver35 (Post 1065463)
I have the Nightmare model and it originally had a 20% FTE rate. When I contacted Sig the asked which ammo I was using and then issued a call tag to send it in for repair. Roughly two weeks later I got it back and it has fired fine since then. I guess that was the ugly - in additional to the cost of the magazines.

The good - compact, concealable, perfectly balanced.

My wife has a Shield and I like it too, but prefer my 938 when going out.

Sounds to me that you simply got the red-headed stepchild. Sucks I know, but QC can only go so far. I'll just cross my fingers that I get lucky and get a good one, should I decide to go through with this.

Thanks for the reply, balance is very important to me.