Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > Sig Sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sig Sights

I have a Sig P220. I can't hit anything with it. It's been this way since I bought it. It shoots low . . . very low. In order to hit a bull on a typical target at say 50 feet, I have to cover the target. It's as though I'm aiming at the top of the paper.

I'm no expert, but I do have a couple other hand guns that I can hit the same targets with without any trouble. I've shot it off hand and off different rests. Ditto. I've had two experienced shooters(one, an instructor) shoot it and they both scratched their heads.

I called Sig and they said it's normal. The gun is set up for combat use.

Should I have the gun set up to shoot like my other guns or should I "get used to it"?
TomJV

Last edited by tomjv; 03-28-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: misspell

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 117

That certainly depends upon YOUR anticipated use. I'm setup just for 10 yard and closer shooting on all my handguns now ( except .22 target pistol). Your sights SOUND atrocious, though, so I'd consider having a sight job done to bring the point of aim down .

Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2279 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Has anyone else tried to shoot it?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 03-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

How's it shoot at tactical range?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1809 Times on 928 Posts
Likes Given: 974

First I would do as bertram advised and move the target closer to around 10 yards. Then I would Bench the weapon for good support (obviously assuming you do not have adjustable sights) And since you stated you do not have any difficulty hitting a target with your other pistols and calibers we are ruling out pre-anticipation or flinching. Use a small target to aim at 3" circle or bullseye on the target backer. Do your test shots. 4 or 5 slow controlled shots one at a time. I would also check the riflings at the muzzle with a bright light to see if there are any damaged. They all should look uniform! Has the pistol ever been dropped? Did you buy it new? After checking, if nothing is noticeable and you are still hitting ridiculously low. *I would contact Sig Technical Support direct. Who knows? the pistol might have the wrong sights on it? That certainly would explain the problem due to the wrong height of the sight or sights. Sig could no doubt fix anything that is wrong with it. And I am sure it would not be the first time they have ran into that situation. Obviously not worth much now as it is.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 210 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 116

How does it shoot in other shooter's hands? I though I had an issue with my SIG P229's sights until my friend took it and shot spot on with it. It took that for me to realize that part of it is me. There are relative holds that you have to use when shooting at certain distances so I would do as suggested above and bring the targets in to say 10 yards and see what the poi is relative to your poa. Please post results.
The chart below helped me figure out what I was doing wrong it might help you as well.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 03-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 969 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjv View Post

I'm no expert, but I do have a couple other hand guns that I can hit the same targets with without any trouble. I've shot it off hand and off different rests. Ditto. I've had two experienced shooters(one, an instructor) shoot it and they both scratched their heads.

TomJV
So you're saying both of the other experienced shooters had the same problem? I would call Sig back, explain that to them again and ask them to take a look at it. If they find it's a problem, I would think they would do it for free. If not, you gotta get it fixed regardless.