SIG SAUER P226 PROBLEMS - Chapter Two

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > SIG SAUER P226 PROBLEMS - Chapter Two

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default SIG SAUER P226 PROBLEMS - Chapter Two

A few months ago I experienced persistent, and consistent, problems while firing the P226 9mm by Sig Sauer.

It would fail to feed from the magazine properly with every magazine load I put through it.

The diagnosis was that it was magazine related, but I was unable to test that theory until recently.

The solution to the problems? Use Mec Gar mags.

But, while shooting it I also discovered that due to my large hands and the way I grip my other semi-autos (1911, HK, FN, Glock, etc.) I was getting my thumb on the top of the slide release on the SIG and therefore the slide failed to lock back while shooting.

I wish SIG put their slide release forward of the decocking lever.

Anyway, here's a video report, I was very pleased with the accuracy of the SIG P226.

Has anyone else had a fail to feed issue with their SIG? What was the solution for you?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #2

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Can't say I've ever had a problem with my 226 it's eatin' everything I've ever fed her.Then again I seldom use the factory mags and have been using the MecGar mags since the week after I got her.I've only had my Sig for about 3 years but I can imagine that if you've had yours for a long period of time it might be time for new springs and possibly new followers.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #3

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Whoops, somebody obviously did not watch the video.

LOL

The issue was the magazines.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #4

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Honestly I hadn't watched the video but now that I have I'm glad I did I'm going to have to watch my thumb. I just assumed that it was the follower that was causing the slide to not lock back.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

I used to own a 226. I had a mag problem also. If you pop a mag in and take your pinky and try to pull the mag out wile racking the slide back and it fails then its the mags. They don't seat properly and when the recoil from firing shakes the mag it will fail to feed. I sent my mags in and sig sent me two new ones free of charge. As for the slide release lever. I just learned to shoot thumb crossed. Not straight thumb over thumb. I feel I have more control now that I shoot that way with all my guns. Might not be as accurate at 50+ yards but ill put one head shot at defense distance and that works for me.

spit hell fire

Old 12-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #6

Liked 2114 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 459

I found tha tI experienced failures of the slide to lock back on the last shot and also came up with the diagnosis that my grip was causing the issue. I changed grip and problems went away.

Intersting thing though, is that Mec Gar is the company contracted to make Factory Sig mags. So using a Mec Gar should be the same as using a factory Sig mag.