Sig Sauer Mosquito Ammo Problems
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > Sig Sauer Mosquito Ammo Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Sig Sauer Mosquito Ammo Problems

Hello everyone. Im here just to bring sone info on my relatively new Sig Sauer Mosquito. Very fun plinker. You may have heard rumors that it is very picky on ammo. This is true, but only for the beggining stage with the gun. After about 500 - 800 rounds through mine, I was able to fire cheap bulk ammo through it. At first only higher velocity rounds (1400 fps i think, dont quote me), i used 1430 fps Blazer ammo for break in, and now can use bulk ammo. So, if you held iff on this handgun due to the finicky ammo, GO BUY IT.

image-1757529386.jpg   image-1984675237.jpg   image-4093247934.jpg  

"When your goin through hell keep on going" Winston Churchill

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #2

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Well- I have no doubt you intentions are the best
I had two of them & would never give that advice---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 03-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
Well- I have no doubt you intentions are the best
I had two of them & would never give that advice---
Why? Do yours still have those problems?

"When your goin through hell keep on going" Winston Churchill

Old 03-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #4

Liked 511 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I hear a lot about guns that need "break-in" periods and I don't doubt the veracity of that claim. However, I have a problem with a gun that can't work just fine brand new out of the box.

Plenty of guns do work just fine and even ones I know of that need a break-in period it is usually recommended between 200 to 300 rounds.

For the price of a Mosquito or any other Umarex licensed crap (Excluding the S&W M&P which actually seems to work) I could buy a gun that works the second I pull it from the box and I don't need to shoot premium ammo through it. Not that Mini-mags and whatnot are ungodly expensive compared to most centerfire calibers, but I'd rather maximize how much ammo I have for range days.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 03-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I heard that about the little Sigs from a guy who owned a few. He said the earlier models had the issue, but that whatever it was had been remedied by Sig in the latest production runs. He sent his earlier ones back to Sig and when they came back, the only part that wasn't changed was the frame.

However I can see where you are coming from Crazed. I know my Glock never needed a break in period. I think the Kimber I owned had the worst break in, and technically it never really "broke in" as failures continued well past the 500 rounds they called the break in period. My Walther P22 didn't need any time, it was right on straight out of the box. My MP15-22 needed no break in either. Of course, my P938 didn't need a break in and it's a Sig as well. I guess they just figure that machining tolerances could be off by a nut hair and need a little wear at the get go

I would however, stand behind recommending the Mosquito for those looking for a 22 pistol. The rental one at my local range takes more abuse than any gun should ever suffer, and never misses a beat.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Just an addendum to my first post, one of my buddies wife rented on at the local range and it would absolutely not shoot the CCI Blazer 40 grain rounds. If it did shoot, it wouldn't cycle, stove piped, ejected without chambering another round, and every other possible combination of failure you can imagine. I changed her out to CCI Standard Velocity rounds, of which the difference is just a slight change in nose shape, and it cycled fine. (Mind you, they NEVER clean any of the rental guns, unless it breaks and they have to send it out for repair)

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

i got one because it had the sig on it. (i know, i shoulda researched first!) but it was one of the very first guns i bought and heard sig was good quality. mine only feeds cci ammo good now but i only put probably 200 rounds threw it so far. i tried remington bulk pack and it would have ftf and fte sometimes. i bet once i get closer to 500 or so itll eat the bulk packs good.

i have noticed the more cci i put threw it the less issues its having.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Hi,

Sig Mosquito is our first gun.
I have just over 200 round through it. Very happy.. almost no problems at all.
I have only used CCI Mini Mags...So far.. have some Golden Bullets on the way and some 40 year old Minimags I got for a reasonable price (considering)
I did a lot of reading before I bought.. and reading between the lines.. looking at details shared by happy owners vs frustrated owners.

• Ammo Velocity of 1280 FPS or higher use the installed spring / Lower use the extra spring (under the foam in the case)
  • Favors the plated rounds vs the bare lead rounds
  • May let you know if not being cleaned and maintained well.
For me the only feed errors I have had 3 were because after loading the mag.. I didn't settle the ammo in.. which I do by quicly moving the "feed tab" not sure offcial name is in the mag up and down after I have 10 rounds loaded. When I do that.. no problems.

I got the gun to learn, so a few feed issues I can resolve with better attention and maintenance are exactly what I wanted.
I like it enough that when when add a 9mm It will most likely be a 226 or 229...

Ken -- New Here...

Last edited by Ken_inWA; 03-27-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #9

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_inWA
Hi,

Sig Mosquito is our first gun.
I have just over 200 round through it. Very happy.. almost no problems at all.
I have only used CCI Mini Mags...So far.. have some Golden Bullets on the way and some 40 year old Minimags I got for a reasonable price (considering)
I did a lot of reading before I bought.. and reading between the lines.. looking at details shared by happy owners vs frustrated owners.
[*]Ammo Velocity of 1280 FPS or higher use the installed spring / Lower use the extra spring (under the foam in the case)[*]Favors the plated rounds vs the bare lead rounds[*]May let you know if not being cleaned and maintained well.

For me the only feed errors I have had 3 were because after loading the mag.. I didn't settle the ammo in.. which I do by quicly moving the "feed tab" not sure offcial name is in the mag up and down after I have 10 rounds loaded. When I do that.. no problems.

I got the gun to learn, so a few feed issues I can resolve with better attention and maintenance are exactly what I wanted.
I like it enough that when when add a 9mm It will most likely be a 226 or 229...

Ken -- New Here...
Welcome. I bought my mosquito as my first hand gun to get familiar with the platform. I then bought the P239 in 9mm followed by the P239. I shoot just about every week and always bring at least two guns. The mosquito every week and the alternate between the 239 and 236. Your observations on the mosquito and ammo issues I find right on the mark and I have about 6,000 rounds through mine fter having the breech end of the barrel slightly reamed by Sig virtually no malfunctions.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

So I have about about 600 rounds through mine...
Update using some older ammo.
Until this weekend I had been shooting fresh CCI Mini Mags...
This weekend I started using some 40 year old CCI Mini Mags.. I got a deal on..
I did get finally get some FTE and one Stove Pipe.. swapped out to the lighter spring that is included.. and shot the next 150 rounds without a single issue. Also ran some of my remaining fresh CCI MM with the lighter spring.. no problems. either
And interestingly even if a few rounds of the old ammo might have been under power.... Not one failed to fire the first time where as some of the more recent ammo I have had about 1 per box that would not fire until I refed it rotated...
I have some remington Golden Bulltes coming will try those out too.

Ken -- Washington the State --
Newer gun owner = Sig Mosquito