Sig mosquito - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > Sig mosquito

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #41
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit

You didn't state your experience for the purpose of describing and experience - you made a comparative statement immediately followed by an evaluation.

Problem, is - you were comparing apples and orange without hesitation. That's dishonest...

If I were to do a comparison of .22LR semi-auto pistols:

HP-22A v. ???
Sig Mosquito v. Bersa Thunder v. S&W 22A v. Taurus PT22
Ruger SR-22 v. S&W M&P 22 v. Walther P22
Ruger MKII v. Buckmark v. (Insert other competition class pistol...)

Still a flawed comparative arrangement - but certainly more honest than just throwing Sig Mosquito and Buckmark into the ring.

I do have that nagging question though:

What would be compared to the Phoenix Arm HP-22A standard velocity pistol at 130.00 USD?

=8-)
Ok,..Point Taken, HOWEVER, I was NOT writing a full evaluation of the Sig for a Test/Review Piece. If I were It would have been a More Detailed & Through Write up. I still believe the Word "Honest" or "Dishonest" is the wrong "describer"
It has nothing to do with Honesty. I would Not put a std. production Gun like the Mosquito up against "Competition Guns" in a shooting test. I would compare it to say, a Browning or Chiappa 1911-22 or Chiappa's M9-22(both of which I have) which WOULD be much closer to the purpose of the SIG(maybe?)
Bottom Line: if yours is Good, then Mazeltov. The One I RENTED at my Range was not, and Many others have reported the same issues...Again,..not Knocking SIG on the Whole, every Other SIG I Have ever shot was Flawless in every way. I'd Personally Love an M-11A1(P22 8, and The 238,230-232, 938 are all Guns I have shot belonging to others with EXCELLENT results0...and I have been around a long time(53 and a few Months) and Shooting since age 8, and grew up in a family Members' Guns/LE supply/Sporting goods business(every Saturday from Age 6 to age 15 when I stated Playing More team Sports) And have Fired 100's of Weapons in Many Situations(Including Combat Situations as an Army Officer). Clearly Your Milage Differes from Mine regarding This Gun....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 09-28-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #42

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Ok,..Point Taken, HOWEVER, I was NOT writing a full evaluation of the Sig for a Test/Review Piece. If I were It would have been a More Detailed & Through Write up. I still believe the Word "Honest" or "Dishonest" is the wrong "describer"
It has nothing to do with Honesty. I would Not put a std. production Gun like the Mosquito up against "Competition Guns" in a shooting test. I would compare it to say, a Browning or Chiappa 1911-22 or Chiappa's M9-22(both of which I have) which WOULD be much closer to the purpose of the SIG(maybe?)
Bottom Line: if yours is Good, then Mazeltov. The One I RENTED at my Range was not, and Many others have reported the same issues...Again,..not Knocking SIG on the Whole, every Other SIG I Have ever shot was Flawless in every way. I'd Personally Love an M-11A1(P228), and The 238,230-232, 938 are all Guns I have shot belonging to others with EXCELLENT results...and I have been around a long time(53 and a few Months) and Shooting since age 8, and grew up in a family Members' Guns/LE supply/Sporting goods business(every Saturday from Age 6 to age 15 when I stated Playing More team Sports) And have Fired 100's of Weapons in Many Situations(Including Combat Situations as an Army Officer). Clearly Your Milage Differes from Mine regarding This Gun....
Rental testing is a poor way to go about judging reliability, accuracy or mechanics.

Simply because you don't have a way of determining if the result is:

1. A reflection of the firearm.

OR

2. A reflection of the LGS/Range maintenance.

Rental testing is however a good way of determining:

1. Size and fit.
2. Weight
3. Recoil
4. Ease of use.
5. The "Coolness Factor"

In my opinion, to test reliability and mechanics - it's probably best to go to the range with an instructor or friend who is likely to better maintain their firearms.

When I demonstrated the Sig Mosquito to another person at my last range session...

1. Five straight magazines - no FTE or FTF.

It was clear as a whistle - reliable firearm. Maintenance issue is absent.

2. Slight tap on magazine - inadvertent closing of the slide.

It was clear as a whistle - there's room for improvement with the Mosquito. It's the firearm. Maintenance issue is absent.

=8-)

Debating the result of a debate is in itself sedition...

Old 09-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #43

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My wife has the mosquito. It's not a bad gun. If you use CCI stinger or CCI mini mags you will have zero problems. I just got back from the range, ran over 150 rounds of stinger through the mosquito with no problems. The gun now has almost 2000 rounds through it. It will shoot Remington golden pack bulk ammo but will sometimes have failure to feed with it. I really get tired of hearing people complain about the mosquito. Maybe if 22 ammo was not so hard to find right now people would stop running cheap bulk ammo through it and complaining. I took my CCW with a Ruger SR22 and had 2 failure to feed during the test with Remington bulk ammo.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:31 AM   #44

Liked 113 Times on 85 Posts

I had a mosquito when they first came out that was stolen 3 months later by some low life who decided to walk in my house and grab what he could while my wife and kids were out back playing. Learned a lot from that incident. Mine was fantastic with high velocity ammo but was guaranteed to jam with cheap bulk ammo. I liked that gun but wont buy another. I just don't see the point of getting a .22 that has to eat expensive .22. Mine was first run so maybe they have changed nowadays since they have been out for a while. I wish I still had it though for sure.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #45

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLshooter
My wife has the mosquito. It's not a bad gun. If you use CCI stinger or CCI mini mags you will have zero problems. I just got back from the range, ran over 150 rounds of stinger through the mosquito with no problems. The gun now has almost 2000 rounds through it. It will shoot Remington golden pack bulk ammo but will sometimes have failure to feed with it. I really get tired of hearing people complain about the mosquito. Maybe if 22 ammo was not so hard to find right now people would stop running cheap bulk ammo through it and complaining. I took my CCW with a Ruger SR22 and had 2 failure to feed during the test with Remington bulk ammo.
Sits are great guns but the mosquito has problems. I believe it's the only sig that doesn't carry a lifetime guaranty. It's a great platform for a new semiauto owner who would like to move up to a P226. Almost all the same features and 90% of the size. Most of the Mosquitos are ammo picky. Mine was sent back to sig to have the breech end of the bbl slightly widened which decreased the FTF and FTE issues but with the scarcity of CCI mini mags I finally sold mine and replaced it with a colt .22 government model 1911 which is much more ammo tolerant. Is the mosquito the ideal gun, no. But it did serve a useful purpose and was fun to shoot when it had no failures. I had about 7'000 rounds through it before I sold it.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #46

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sig View Post
Sits are great guns but the mosquito has problems. I believe it's the only sig that doesn't carry a lifetime guaranty. It's a great platform for a new semiauto owner who would like to move up to a P226. Almost all the same features and 90% of the size. Most of the Mosquitos are ammo picky. Mine was sent back to sig to have the breech end of the bbl slightly widened which decreased the FTF and FTE issues but with the scarcity of CCI mini mags I finally sold mine and replaced it with a colt .22 government model 1911 which is much more ammo tolerant. Is the mosquito the ideal gun, no. But it did serve a useful purpose and was fun to shoot when it had no failures. I had about 7'000 rounds through it before I sold it.
"but with the scarcity of CCI mini mags"

.22 LR has been plentiful for anyone for the past year who has been diligent tracking websites...

...but with one caveat:

Good luck finding quality high velocity plated ROUND NOSE.

I've purchased 30,000+ round in the past 6 months - much getting passed on to others doing classes and Boy Scout stuff. The vast majority has been high velocity hollow point and standard velocity round nose. There's plenty of that to go around - as evidenced by the recent Federal 745 2100 round cans at Cabelas.

But in that same time frame:

1000 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag Copper Plated Round Nose
1575 rounds of Fiocchi FHV22CRN
2000 rounds of Winchester M*22 (Really Cheap Ammo!!!)

Those CCI / Fiocchi were split with two other persons.

Result? I like everyone else am on a starvation diet for high velocity plated round nose.

It's the one round that guarantees 100% compatibility with high velocity spec semi-auto firearms - rifle or pistol. Which means, it's the round every knowledgeable .22 LR owner really wants.

It sucks...I'm down to just 525 Fiocchi - I'm already having to switch my Mosquito's springs in order to shoot standard velocity Eley, Aguila and Wolf.

=8-)

Debating the result of a debate is in itself sedition...

Old 10-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #47

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Anyone out there have a junky Mosquito that they want to unload? I will take a chance on it if priced cheap enough.