Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > Sig mosquito

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
I've been shopping around...the last 60 days roughly...I try to stick to LBSes....

What I'm seeing consistently is:

1. Sig Mosquito 290.00+
2. SR-22 320.00-330.00+ (until recently - go to hell CA AG DOJ, etc.)
3. S&W 22A ^^^
4. M&P 22 400.00-450.00
5. Walther P22 450.00
If you really want the M&P22 come down to Markley's in Watsonville. They've got at least one right now for $350.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #32

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring View Post
I have never heard of a Mosquito that ran smooth. All of them, including the one I use to own, have had issues.
You have now...

I can run Remington Golden Bullets through it all day.

And if I use the low velocity spring.. I can run 99% of my 40 year old CCI Mini Mags through it with no problem. Change the spring the old AMMO will cause some issues (I used that to practice clearing the gun)

Still trying to look up the brand "Range Ammo" to see what that is

In general the people who know what ammo they are using and name it seem to like the gun. The people who use "Good Ammo", "Standard Ammo", "Ammo that works in my other guns", "Range Ammo" seem to have problems.. Hmmm....

I have about 1500 rounds through it.. It is my first gun.. so I can't compare it to guns I have never fired like other experienced shoots seem to be able to do "Never fired an SR22 but would buy one in a second"

I do know running the Remington I it runs consistently. CCI Mini Mags "fresh" are fine but you don't need to spend that much..

IF it jams every 3 times:
  • Its broken and / or not well cared for
  • You are sloppy in loading the mags. (Mags are low cost if you just jam ammo in without a quick pull back on the spring at the end to settle the ammo I can get to FAIL to Feed) Oddly enough I figured that out after two occurrences..

Then again.. a Toyota Sentra just goes when you start it and push the gas. And good truck may need you to know how to use a clutch and shifter.. which is better? The one that works well for anyone with no knowledge ... Or the one that has some "process" in using it.

I know how to care for my gun.
  • Clean it
  • lube it.
  • Clear it.
  • It has also taught me to learn about Ammo types past "Good Ammo" "What as cheap" etc.

If that's a bad thing for a gun to ask of a user.. So be it..

Ken -- Washington the State --
Newer gun owner = Sig Mosquito

Old 09-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #33

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke4351
I just bought a Mosquito even after reading all the bad things being said about them. I know from past experience with the P238 and P938 that a lot of the so called problems are caused by the shooter and not the gun. The store owner told me that it would only shoot 2 brands of ammo. I ordered CCI to shoot in it and it hasn't come in yet. After doing more reading and research I have found out that it will shoot pretty much any brand ammo except the cheap crap bargain ammo. The gun seems like it has been shot very little. I took it apart and cleaned it up. It showed no signs of ever being oiled or greased and it was bone dry. The recoil spring was installed backwards in the gun also. I am sure whoever got rid of this gun is sure that it is a POS just as I am sure they were an idiot that had no business with a gun. I have not shot the gun yet but I have all the faith in the world that the gun will shoot and operate fine. I will post more after I shoot it.
I owned one for over a year and put over 5,000 rounds of cci mini mags 40 grain through it. It is a problem gun. I sent it back to sig for work. It got better but still not acceptable. Every local gun shop I've visited warned about the mosquito. It was a good learning platform for my P226 but I eventually sold it and bought a coly government model .22 which works much better. I also cleaned the mosquito after every range visit. Keep in mind that sig gives a lifetime warranty with their autos that I oun however the mosquito is only one year
Old 09-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #34

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post

Why should the spring matter?
Because that is the way the gun is design and if you buy one or rent one and have this attitude.. the gun will fail.. just like a good car will fail if someone who drives and auto gets in and says "Why should the clutch matter?"

No one shops or shoots at a gun shop run by idiots. We all love OUR location and know for sure the others are just not as good.

I assume you are sure you shop knows their stuff because they think like you.... and if they are of the opinion "Why should the spring matter" then should not be renting a Mosquito.

I use my low velocity spring for my 40 year old CCI Minimags.. No jams.
I use either spring with Remington Golden Bullets .. No Jams
I use the High velocity spring for my CCI Velocitor" Soo Sweet I wish I could find more to shoot like I do my cheaper target ammo.

I am closing in on 2000 rounds..

New CCI Mini Mags. No problem
40 year old CCI Mini mags - 1-2 jams per 100 using the high spring and none using the low spring.

Its now as I and the gun are broken in.. my only problems are failure to fire on older or lower cost ammo, with a clear strike on the rim.. and reload the round.. it fires fine.

The gun does require the user to pay attention.. when I do it runs great.
For my mags loaded for home protection.. I now use the Velocitor as it is just a joy to shoot and has some impact for the 22LR

Do car people get in a different car and complain its not just like their last car? Seems to be lots of gun people who really do want to assume all guns should use all ammo and be just the same.

Ken -- Washington the State --
Newer gun owner = Sig Mosquito

Old 09-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #35
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2839 Times on 1947 Posts
Likes Given: 582

I was actually going to buy one. Then I rented the one at my Range. Side by side against my 22/45 and my wife's Buckmark,...no comparison. Even when it wasn't a Jamfest,...it was barely accurate to say the least. Does it mean I won't consider buying another model SIG? Not at all. We may even get 2...just not the 22...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 09-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #36

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Got to take my so called junky Mosquito to the range yesterday. The one that had the wrong spring in it and turned backwards when I bought the gun. The gun never had one hiccup and it shot fine. The only thing I found wrong with it is the trigger needs to be worked on and smoothed out but I can fix that myself. My wife had never in her life shot a gun and I talked her into trying the Mosquito out. The gun shot fine for her too but I had worked with her on her grip before we started shooting. I did limp wrist the gun on purpose one time trying to make it malfunction and it did fail to load the next round. There is nothing wrong with these guns but if you think you got a bad one and want to sell it cheap please let me know.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #37

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I was actually going to buy one. Then I rented the one at my Range. Side by side against my 22/45 and my wife's Buckmark,...no comparison. Even when it wasn't a Jamfest,...it was barely accurate to say the least. Does it mean I won't consider buying another model SIG? Not at all. We may even get 2...just not the 22...
You're comparing apples and oranges...

Mosquito is a budget 290+ semi-auto...no frills...not a pistol people purchase for competitive target shooting - much less to "shoot everything."

Buckmark is one of several "Ferrari" .22 handguns that are right up there with the Ruger MKII for competitive target shooting.

Try to be honest please...

=8-)

Debating the result of a debate is in itself sedition...

Old 09-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #38

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
Got to take my so called junky Mosquito to the range yesterday. The one that had the wrong spring in it and turned backwards when I bought the gun. The gun never had one hiccup and it shot fine. The only thing I found wrong with it is the trigger needs to be worked on and smoothed out but I can fix that myself. My wife had never in her life shot a gun and I talked her into trying the Mosquito out. The gun shot fine for her too but I had worked with her on her grip before we started shooting. I did limp wrist the gun on purpose one time trying to make it malfunction and it did fail to load the next round. There is nothing wrong with these guns but if you think you got a bad one and want to sell it cheap please let me know.
Just broke in my second Sig Mosguito last weekend. Same result - no problems whatsoever for 170+ rounds. A little more accurate than my first - but same very heavy trigger.

This time, the blued model as opposed to the two-tone.

And like you, I'll be happy to relieve folks of their "unreliable", "constantly jamming", "periodically mis-feeding", "ammo picky" and "unreliable" POS Sig Mosquito.

=8-)

Old 09-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #39
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2839 Times on 1947 Posts
Likes Given: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit

You're comparing apples and oranges...

Mosquito is a budget 290+ semi-auto...no frills...not a pistol people purchase for competitive target shooting - much less to "shoot everything."

Buckmark is one of several "Ferrari" .22 handguns that are right up there with the Ruger MKII for competitive target shooting.

Try to be honest please...

=8-)
Who's Not being "Honest?" I gave a statement regarding my experience with the model. doesn't mean they all are(ca ca) but that one was...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 09-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #40

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Who's Not being "Honest?" I gave a statement regarding my experience with the model. doesn't mean they all are(ca ca) but that one was...
You didn't state your experience for the purpose of describing and experience - you made a comparative statement immediately followed by an evaluation.

Problem, is - you were comparing apples and orange without hesitation. That's dishonest...

If I were to do a comparison of .22LR semi-auto pistols:

HP-22A v. ???
Sig Mosquito v. Bersa Thunder v. S&W 22A v. Taurus PT22
Ruger SR-22 v. S&W M&P 22 v. Walther P22
Ruger MKII v. Buckmark v. (Insert other competition class pistol...)

Still a flawed comparative arrangement - but certainly more honest than just throwing Sig Mosquito and Buckmark into the ring.

I do have that nagging question though:

What would be compared to the Phoenix Arm HP-22A standard velocity pistol at 130.00 USD?

=8-)