Sig mosquito - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > Sig mosquito

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3289 Times on 2236 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Poly guns can be perfectly reliable. There have been plenty of torture tests consisting of 50,000+ rounds through Glocks and M&Ps, that I know of.

I'm not saying the Mosquito is any good, I just don't know the gun. I'm just saying don't discount plastic guns.
Seems they have a quality control issue. Rented one at our range when DW was getting ready to get a .22 for target/bullseye shooting. We rented the sig, plus a Ruger Mk-III & a Browning. She liked the Browning the best but we couldn't find any new at any shop in a 50 mile radius, plus i have a Woodsman(colt) which is exactly the same design as the Browning & Hi-standard,...so she got a used but well cared for Buckmark 6" with really nice grips. The Sig at the shop for rentals plus two others they had in stock all had issues. The Browning jams maybe once every 120-150 rds., but thats when it's dry and dirty. Now that one gets cleaned both after and just before the next range trip. Did that the last two trips and she got 200+ rds. Through it with no jams. We also have my 22/45, which is also like a Sherman tank....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

How'd the woodsman hold up? Grandad had one and. I might consider hunting one down.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

In my book the mosquito is junk and the p22 is a pass. I would look at the sr22, mk3, and buckmark.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #14

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
In my book the mosquito is junk and the p22 is a pass. I would look at the sr22, mk3, and buckmark.
Took the (experienced) words right off my keyboard

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeVagabomd
How'd the woodsman hold up? Grandad had one and. I might consider hunting one down.
Actually, the woodsman is now retired to its place as a "Safe Queen" but it was active until 2005, and has close to 25k rounds on it and the only work it ever needed was a new mag release after about 11k rounds....they are great guns if you can find one(and the Hi-Standard as well)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Agreed. It just doesn't make sense from a company with such a good rep. On so many other models....

Old 07-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Have had mine for 6 months run over 1500 rounds through it..

Remington Golden Bullet is my favorite... no issues not even the FT Fire I get from the CCIs about one in 150.

I have also run 40 year old CCI Minimags though it. This are a bit less consistent.. good for training because they will give you a couple of stove pipes etc in 100.. so I know how to clear and get my gun shooting again.

I keep it clean, lubed and use the lighter spring for the older Ammo and it works like a charm outside of the 1-2 stale ammo failures.

It will have feed failure on the 2nd round if you just cram the rounds in the mag and don't seat them

Otherwise been very happy.

But I used what I learned..
Use the plated rounds
Use High Velocity..
Keep it clean

Ken -- Washington the State --
Newer gun owner = Sig Mosquito

Old 08-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm constantly amazed at how many people will bash a firearm...

...and it is clear they selected ammo by brand and model and quick grab - NOT BY SPEC.

YOU are the problem...NOT the gun.

Sig Mosquito:

Default Rod + Spring = High Velocity

1235 - 1260 FPS
ROUND NOSE
PLATED

So what ammo should you use?

CCI Mini-Mag COPPER PLATED LEAD ROUND NOSE (NOT HOLLOW POINT!!!)
Fiocchi High Velocity COPPER PLATED LEAD ROUND NOSE (NOT HOLLOW POINT!!!)
Aguila SuperExtra High Velocity COPPER PLATED LEAD ROUND NOSE (NOT HOLLOW POINT!!!)
<Insert any brand and model 1235-1260 fps copper plated lead round nose...>
n++;

Optional Rod + Spring = Standard Velocity

1050 -1070 FPS
ROUND NOSE
LEAD

CCI Standard Velocity
Eley Sport, Target and Club
Wolf Match Target and Extra
Fiocchi Standard Velocity LEAD ROUND NOSE
Remington Target
Aguila SuperExtra Standard Velocity LEAD ROUND NOSE
SK Standard LEAD ROUND NOSE
SK Magazine
<Insert any brand and model 1050-1070 fps lead round nose round...>
n++;

Once again...

1. Spec the firearm - do your homework - read the manual.
2. Spec the ammunition by FPS, Profile and Finish
3. Brand and Model are incidental...not the driver...except where quality is concerned.

Stop blaming the firearm folks - 99.99% of the time YOU are the problem.

=8-)

Debating the result of a debate is in itself sedition...

Ken_inWA Likes This 
Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #19

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 113

My experience is not hearsay. I've actually fired it.

Horrible gun. If you want an Umarex, the S&W M&P22 is great and it's full size unlike the Mosquito. For the same price you can get the Ruger SR22, which I have not fired but keep hearing great things about and would drop the money on in a heartbeat. There are also lots of positive press around the GSG 1911-22 which I think is an ATI gun in the States(?).

I rented a Mosquito and the range does a really good job on maintenance. The Mosquito is out for maintenance A LOT. In fact it took my three tries to rent it. I was actually shooting one day and someone was using it and jamming constantly. You are required to use range ammo when you rent there so I went with what they recommended. Jammed about every 3 shots. I did manage to get 5 in a row before a jam. Never fired a full magazine without some sort of problem.

Folks, that is ridiculous.

Also, it was inaccurate. I couldn't believe how bad it shot. I was trying out a Bersa Thunder .380 on the same day. First time to fire both weapons. The Bersa was doing great, the Mosquito looked like I was shooting a shotgun...at 50 yards...blindfolded. If I hadn't been shooting the Bersa as comparison I would have thought maybe it was me and I should give up shooting. I've never fired any .22 as inaccurate as this one. Could be the that individual gun, but hard to believe they would not have swapped it out by now and I know it's gone for repairs three times now.

I liked the mini-P226 feel of it and controls. It COULD be such an awesome little gun but there is no way I would tell anyone to buy one of these. Ammo pickiness is not a virtue in my book anyway, especially with the ongoing shortage. Why people put up with guns that will only shoot select brands is beyond me.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 08-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

i actually own one.

mine cycles just fine but then thats not the issue i have. its the incredibly poor trigger the over application of ridiculous safeties and none of it can be modded to make it into a functional useful gun.

the sig mosquito is a total POS from the ground up and i can hardley understand why sig wants its name attached to such a total POS.

my wife got it for me for my birthday years ago because it was pink and she knew i liked sigs. the ONLY reason i dont get rid of it is because it was the first gun she ever bought and she gave it to me... i hold out some hope someday i can turn it into a functional firearm.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...