Second gun suggestions? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum >

Second gun suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 07:11 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

I would strongly recommend the xdm 5.5 in 45acp.

Also the fnx in 45

Two of my favorites are my new vaqueros from ruger. Ive got a pair in 45colt with 45acp cylinders.

I like 1911's but i dont find them what i would call pleasent shooting guns
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 04-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

So, not really sure how to answer all the questions, since I am so new to firearms; I haven't a clue what I need or desire, really. We just started a gun club at church, so I'll get to shoot a variety of handguns with the other guys. Hopefully that'll help me out. Reading a bunch too. Also, I hear you about wrist wear with heavier calibers. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 04-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
What is my current gun lacking that I am looking for?
A companion. Every firearm needs a companion.

Or a dozen companions...

Old 04-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staidan View Post
So, not really sure how to answer all the questions, since I am so new to firearms; I haven't a clue what I need or desire, really. We just started a gun club at church, so I'll get to shoot a variety of handguns with the other guys. Hopefully that'll help me out. Reading a bunch too. Also, I hear you about wrist wear with heavier calibers. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Do you have a concealed carry license? Do you have a gun designated for home defense?

Your 9mm could conceivably fill both these roles. But many people, especially on this forum, will have separate guns for separate purposes.

In my less than humble opinion, self defense and home defense are the two top priorities when beginning to buy firearms. Afterall, firearms are designed to be life-saving tools.

So, answer those questions. If you aren't interested in defending yourself, and just want to have fun at the range, then I suppose that's your prerogative but its also an answer to the questions above.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #15

Liked 2056 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

me, I'd be needing some long guns sooner or later.....by guns do you only mean hand guns?

If not, a good 12 gauge or an AR is always a nice addition!
img_20140323_200016955.jpg  

Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #16

Liked 1415 Times on 837 Posts
Likes Given: 437

Quote:

My advice is to get a 22. Althiugh ammo is a bit hard to find it will change soon and you can relatively speaking cheaply shoot the s*** out of it and have a great time.

Everyone needs a 22, you just need to figure out which one is right for you.

/Hint its a Ruger Mark (something)

Old 04-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Default Second gun suggestions?

Yes, we have two .22 rifles, and will be getting a shotgun soon. Rifle for large game is on the list too. My 9mm can serve both home defense and cc, but it is a bit bulky. I'm scheduled to take chl class soon. Never hurts to be prepared for everything, lol. We originally began purchasing firearms for home defense/survival (future) situations; but I had no idea how much I would enjoy shooting. . So, the question about second gun was for handgun fun more than anything.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #18

Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

With a 9mm already, which you love, you really don't need another heavy caliber handgun.

The two obvious choices now would be for either a 380 of some kind (I prefer the Walther's) or else a 22LR of some kind (Ruger makes great 22's).

The 380 would serve as a CCW backup, or in cases where your 9mm is too big to carry.

The 22's are for "fun at the range."

I used to have a Colt Woodsman -- a 22LR field pistol. Wish I had kept it. But one day while spring cleaning, I got rid of it -- traded it towards a heavier caliber revolver -- which I now also no longer have.

I wish I had kept the Woodsman now.

Last edited by Shoobee; 04-10-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #19

Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
me, I'd be needing some long guns sooner or later.....by guns do you only mean hand guns?

If not, a good 12 gauge or an AR is always a nice addition!
I would amend that statement to read "a good 12 gauge or 5.56x45mm is always a nice (appropriate) addition."

Even though half of all guns sold in American right now are AR's, I would avoid them like the plague and get a Ruger Mini 14 Ranch instead.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
So, the question about second gun was for handgun fun more than anything.
Cool. So that clarifies things. Here's my thoughts. You can get whatever caliber you want, but:

- 9mm still tends to be the cheapest centerfire caliber for handguns in most places

- You already have a 9mm so you would have commanality of ammo

- If you get a new caliber, you will be diversifying your calibers which is handy when one is less prominent on the shelves than the other (IE: this past year and a half or so, 9mm was difficult to find for a lot of people and .40 S&W was more common)

- 9mm tends have acceptable felt recoil for most people. You already know.

- Depending on the firearm and person, .45 ACP tends to have more of a rolling recoil whereas .40 S&W tends to be snappier (generally)

- Firearms chambered in .357 Magnum (revolvers) can also shoot .38 Special. .357 Is slightly harsh recoil for most (I love it) and is expensive whereas .38 is more similar to 9mm for felt recoil and cheaper than .357 but more expensive than 9mm

- 22 LR is still hard to find depending on where you are in the country. It is also more expensive than it was a year and a half ago. But when you can find it you can generally get more ammo for much cheaper than even 9mm. 9mm tends to run around $15 / box of 50 in my area, whereas 22 LR tends to be $25 / box of 550 (if I can find it).

Those are the things that come to my mind for you looking for a new handgun for range purposes. If you're thinking something to concealed carry, that opens up more thoughts.

In terms of the gun, just go to gun stores and see what fits your hand the best and then see if you can shoot it.