Problems with my p226
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > Problems with my p226

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 10

Default Problems with my p226

First I want to know if anyone else has ever experienced these issues that I point out below, or if you have some advice as to what I am doing wrong.

1. When I first bought my p226 it came with the new standard sights that are not night sights and I could shoot with them really well, but it would take longer to get the sights lined up and acquire my target. Like I said I shot really well with these sights, but I decided I wanted night sights on my p226. I then sent my pistol to Sig to have the night sights installed.

Once I got the pistol back I took it to the range, and the first couple of times I shot it I thought that I was off target and didn't think much of it. So I went to the range the other day with a buddy of mine to see if it was just me experiencing the issues. So I shot and it seems that my groups are good, but are about 4-5 inches below my point of aim. I then gave the pistol to my buddy to shoot to see if he had the same problems, and sure enough his groups were low as well.

Needless to say I was not happy after spending $120 to get my night sights installed from Sig and they are off target.

2. My second issue is these POS USA made Sig mags that they are selling. When I first bought my p226 it came with 2 mags that were made in Italy by Mec-Gar and the work fine. On the same day I bought my gun I also purchased 2 15 round Sig factory mags ($45 each) and 2 20 round Sig factory mags ($80 each) and I have had issues with both of them. The problems I have had is with the slide locking open with rounds still in the mags and the slide not locking open with no rounds left in the mags.

The guy from Sig claimed it was because I am inadvertently hitting the slide with my thumb while shoot, and my response was BS because the other mags have not done this at all. I asked him if they would just swap out the USA made mags for the ones made in Italy and he said that a gunsmith would have to look at them to see if they are defective.

So I am curious if I am doing something wrong while shooting with the new sights, or does it sound like to you guys that the sights are off and it needs to be sent back to Sig? I already know from reading many poor reviews on the net about these USA made Sig mags being junk, but I can't believe that Sig would still contract these mags to be made after they know of the many complaints that have been made about these mags. This makes my liking for Sig drop drastically. They are supposed to be one of the top pistol brands in the world and they are saying it's okay sell junk mags and keep the company that makes them contracted. Unbelievable if you ask me, and a good way to taint your brand.

I am now considering just selling my Sig and moving over to H&K.

Let me know what you guys think, and I am open to constructive criticism.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5996 Times on 2084 Posts
Likes Given: 1719

Not going to criticize or try to evaluate your situation being as I'm not a gunsmith but just say I've had zero problems with my MK25 after a few hundred rds through it over about 8 months and it is most accurate and it was made in NH and came with 2 Mec Gar mags.
To me it is a good pistol and worth sending back to Sig to let them help determine if there is a problem.
Just a suggestion.

On a side note here is a video tour of the factory.

Like it or not, when the chips are down and lives are at stake, an armed citizen can be the "first responder." People who donít like guns invariably rely on people who have guns when their lives are in danger.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3856 Times on 2634 Posts
Likes Given: 1924

On your points (and if I am too blunt, please ignore the style):

1. You did not need the night sights. The white dot sights are at least as quick in target acquisition, if not better. Your night sights may well be off. The dovetailed SIG sights in general can be tough little mommas to install correctly. Also there are two common sizes, #6 and #8. They vary from one model to another. A mismatch needs to be ruled out first.

2. The US made SIGs being POS is an urban legend. Specifically regarding the P226. I have trained and practiced with a variety of them. If you look for commiseration over anything at all, you will find it on the Internet. These SIGs are solid enough to keep winning government contracts, and not because they are cheap.
The OEM mags are made in Italy by MecGar and possibly elsewhere. The aftermarket for them is weak and should not be trusted. It is unfortunate, but such is the cost of ownership, $40/mag.

That said, if you lost faith in SIG for whatever reason, punt it and move on, no problem. This was only something to consider before you decide.
SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 01-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #4

Liked 2450 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Agree with the above. There are two differnt heights that go with Sig sights. Contact Sig and see if they will replace the sights and do a test fire to confirm correct height before returning the gun to you.

I have heard that here can be some probems with the US made mags but have not been able to confirm this. My Sig only has Itallian mags right now. But the gun (P220) is US made and has been a flawless performer. I have had the slide fail to lock back on the last round, but it was indeed ccaused by my thumb drifting up to the slide catch, due to my habit of getting a high grip as I do with my other handguns.

If the Sig is not a good fit for you, no one would blame you for shifting brands. H&K is another highly regarded manufacturer. (let me know if you want to unload the 226 piece of junk cheap)

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 01-17-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 997 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 501

I'll give you $600 no questions asked

Old 01-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
I'll give you $600 no questions asked
Why'dya start the biddin' so high?

Old 01-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 997 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 501

I work in the town they make them and if there is an issue it would get fixed with np.
I have experienced the same thing when I got my first 3 dot sights it was accurate but I shot low every time
turned it it was me. Once I learned to focus on the front sights and ignore the dots all was well again.
I still prefer a highlighted front sight to the 3 dot system.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #8

I found that With my 220 I have to put my front dot in the middle of the black on a bullseye target, while most of my other pistols require a 6 o'clock hold where the black of the bullseye sits on top of the front post and the point of impact of my bullets is usually right above the top edge of the front sight, instead of right behind the dot.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:44 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Have to agree with the above. My guess would be the installed sights are mismatched. I've had no issues with my Sig 20 rnd mags. All my 226 equipment is about 15 months new and works flawlessly. Send it back and get it tested. And send the troublesome mags with so the can see if there's an issue with a note.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:27 AM   #10

Likes Given: 10

Thanks guys for all of the responses. I was referring to the USA made mags not being good, not the USA made guns. My first Sig was made in the USA and I never had any issues with it.

Looks like I will send it back to Sig and hope that they mismatched the sights as described above.