P226 - lubrication
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > P226 - lubrication

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Ara
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default P226 - lubrication

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to Sigs.

I own a 226 (.40 ) and was wonder what works best as far a lubrication is concerned.

Does grease work better than gun oil? How do you lubricate your sigs (type of product, amount used etc)

Any help / tips is appreciate?

Thanks

Ara

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #2

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Frog lube works very well. Becareful of gun oils some are harsh on the polymer

Old 11-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 35

What does the instruction manual say?
That being said, I've been using Frog Lube lately. My wife doesn't object to the smell.
Types of lube, climatic conditions, etc. can vary.
I don't want to open a can of worms here. Lubricants are like as$*^&!$. Everyone has their favorites and opinions.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #4

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig
Frog lube works very well. Becareful of gun oils some are harsh on the polymer
Actually the p226 is not a polymer pistol the slide is stainless.But to answer the question I grease my internals such as my trigger parts when I do a thorough take down.I use a drop of oil on each side of the slide.I put a thin ring of oil around the tip of the barrel and then another drop where the guide rod meets the barrel.I also pay special attention to where it looks like the slide and frame are rubbing using a q-tip to lightly rub those areas down.I do a full take down once a year and I clean after every outing to the range.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

On ALL of my firearms I use CLP to clean and to lube when I store and I use the Hoppe's oil with the needle nose applicator for pinpoint lubrication and when I go to the range.

Hasn't failed me in 15 years.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 11-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #6

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

On sigs website they have a cleaning and lubricating video. That said, I also like clp and hoppes. I've heard a lot of good things about balstoil but can't seem to find it anywhere

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book"

Old 11-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2950 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 323

From the manual page 38:
http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/SIG_Classic_pistols_Manual.pdf

Quote:
Avoid over-lubrication of components.
1. Lubricate the cleaning brush with gun oil and insert it into the barrel via the chamber (opposite the muzzle end).
2. Wipe powder residues and oil from the barrel bore and chamber with cleaning patches.
3. Clean exterior surfaces of the barrel with a brush coated with gun oil.
4. Remove dirt from guides of the frame, inside and outside of slide, recoil spring guide and recoil spring with a brush or cleaning patch. Lightly lubricate same surfaces with a cloth impregnated with gun oil or gun grease.
5. Lightly oil bores of the barrel and chamber. Remove any excess lubricant.
Note: TW-25B or a like lubricant designed for stainless steel is recommended for “All Stainless” models, such as the P220 ST or P226 ST.
That said, a good general rule is: oil on rotating parts. Grease on sliding parts. I use synthetic motor oil & Tetra Gun grease. YMMV.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 11-17-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Mobile 1 synthetic works like a charm. And a quart will out last the owner. Research it. Makes a very good gun lube. I have been using it for over 5 years and still have oodles and oodles of it left.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #9

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use a little bit if regular white lithium grease on the rails and ballistol (it's a CLP) on the rest.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 140 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
I use a little bit if regular white lithium grease on the rails and ballistol (it's a CLP) on the rest.
Do you use the white lithium that comes in an aerosol can? I grabbed some after seeing it mentioned a few times but have yet to try it out.

General question for anyone - Do you re-lube before going to the range? I clean/lube every time I shoot (twice a month usually, couple hundred rounds at most each time), but I have not been doing any additional lubrication before going. Should I?

I have an older 226, and doing the above has never caused me any issues, just don't want to be shortening the life span of my gun(s).