p226 dark elite - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > p226 dark elite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

I know this thread is a little old but I have a little experience with Sig Sauer's complaint department.Number one the guy on the phone it's his job to debunk some ones attempt to get over on them it is a business.Number two do what I did have somones else shoot you're gun,I had a rang officer friend of mine shoot mine,if you end up with the same results it needs to go back.What happened to me was that they put the wrong rear sight on my pistol from the factory.If you check out their listing of sights you will find that they make several different sizes.They will take care of you if it is a problem that came straight from the factory.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #12

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

I tried their department and they said I would have to pay for shipping and the sights. So they shipped me 8-8 sights and it was still low. Very low. I asked if they made higher rears or lower front and they said no for that model. All's well, I traded it for a m&p9 brand new. That gun shoots like a champ. I love it. Will never look back. Sigs r just prettier. Still love sig and wouldn't hesitate to buy another but at that price range, I'm going with my AR.

spit hell fire

Old 02-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteglock View Post
Any distance it just shoots low constantly. I can't figure it out. When the adjustable sights were on it shot fine. But I hated how large they were and they always came loose. I'm starting to think its just this dark elite model.
It is not possible to use #8/#8 sights with the Elite Dark (P226 or P220)- I have both of these. Using a surface plate and height gauge I have made measurements on several Sig models. The reason is that the rear dovetail is cut lower than on most other Sig models. The best match/solution I have come up with is to use a TRUGLO Tritium rear (TG231S1) with a Sig #8 front. The TG rear sight OAH is .275" and 0.162" mounted. The Sig #8 front OAH is 0.220 and 0.140" mounted. This gives a rear-to-front difference of 0.022." You need this value to get a combat sight alignment for POI.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:50 AM   #14

Liked 136 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 148

When I purchased my Sig P226 mk 25, my first groups were low...see attached pic. After thinking about it and reading, I think that weapon is a combat weapon and it is intended that the white dot on the front sight be placed over/cover the target...when I did that, my groups went where they were supposed to go.

may or may not be the problem you are experiencing, but that was my conclusion with my Sig

sig226.jpg   sightimages.jpg  

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:39 AM   #15

The problem I am having is that I don't like the adjustable rear sight that comes with the Elite Dark P226 and choose to get rid of it - it's a piece of junk. When I called Sig they said to replace them with Sig #8/#8 front/rear - This is just bad information. Surface plate/height gauge measurements confirm the rear sight is low by 0.015" and will shoot low. Not to mention that the rear sight notch is barely above the slide. It is necessary to find a taller rear sight than the Sig #8 (0.250"). I understand the combat sight picture, and that is not the issue. I seems a lot of people are suggesting to others that they are not using proper sight picture or don't know what they are doing or there is something wrong with the gun. This may indeed be true for some, but I am offering an explanation for those of us that know how to shoot. Most people don't have the measurement equipment that I have (cost is about $1K) and are unable to sort out what is going on. Hope this helps clarify.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

The P226 is a fantastic gun. Generally, most accuracy issues would be about the shooter rather than the gun in the case a P226. But that doesn't mean this is the case here. Even great platforms fall a bit short at times.

I had a P226 for a couple years. Had no complaints about the gun, other than it simply wasn't so great in my hands. And other guns perform pretty well for me (CZ 75, BHP, 1911, XDm, Ruger rimfires...even...gulp, the Glock). Personally, I believe the overall quality of my Sig was equal to or better than most of my other guns. But it simply wasn't a great fit for me, so I sold it.

Pistols are like a pair of shoes. Personal fit is everything, and there's rarely such thing as 'one size/style fits all'.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #17

I agree that Sigs are fantastic guns. I have four of them and really love them. I didn't always feel that way. At first, I found they were more difficult to shoot than my 1911 or XD. The DA tends to magnify the shooters improper technique more so than other pistols. I found out about some bad habits I had by going to some multi-day training sessions in Nevada. Things I needed work on were isometric tension, grip, trigger finger placement and articulation, etc. Through regular dry practice training at home I was able to dramatically improve my technique and consistency. Another thing that helps is getting some action cleanup work done - the factory trigger is not so good.

If you are a skier this will make sense. An expert pair of skis will not make me an expert skier. In fact it will be the opposite, I will ski much worse because the equipment far exceeds my skill level and is less forgiving. Regular training and practice is the key.

For one that does not shoot and practice much, stay away from Sigs and get a Glock. There will be much more enjoyment and less frustration. And you can buy 2 Glocks for the price of 1 Sig.

Last edited by PCHS4; 02-11-2014 at 03:49 PM.