new to guns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > new to guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default new to guns

Hey all I have decided to get a gun to protect my family.I will be a first time owner.I am going back and forth on what to buy a 9mm or a .40 is there a big difference?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2801 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

First of all, learn safe firearms handling!

There are no substantial differences between those two calibers, there will be a good deal of debate about my view, but dead is dead.

I chose to go with 9mm for home defense and concealed carry for ammo consistency and platform flexability. Virtually every firearms platform that shoots the .40 S&W, also handles the 9mm. However, many 9mm handguns have been designed to be more concealable than .40s.

FBI & LEOs like .40 S&W, Navy Seals use 9mm, they'll both work.

You won't go wrong with either choice.

Practice, practice practice & get some training.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

You made the right choice when it comes to the protection for the family to get a firearm. Learn all you can from many knowledgeable members on this forum. (I'm still learning a new trick or two from them). Then practice safety, cleaning, and shooting at indoor or outdoor range if you don't have the required acreage of property to shoot on. As for the difference in calibre, me thinks .40 is slightly more powerful than a .9mm. But then again its only my opinion. Lots of luck!

Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks for the feedback.I will practice and go to a safety class!I look forward to shooting it.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #5

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

If you look at the numbers I'm a numbers guy the 40 has as much as much Fps as a 9mm and as much kinetic energy as a 45 best of both worlds alot of people say its a compromise round or whatever but it is my favorite round by far but to each his own.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 02-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #6

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome, I too am a new gun owner. After renting several and doing some research my first purchase was a Glock G22 gen4 (.40 cal). I found I shot it just as well as a Gen17 (9mm) and since I live in No-Carry NJ small size was not an issue. I have also purchase a KKM conversion barrel so I can shoot 9mm for practice at the range. I have found that right now it is actually easier to find .40cal and at better prices than 9mm on the internet. Don't know how long that will last as the anti's in NJ are trying to make it illegal for us to buy ammo over the net.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Shot placement is more important than caliber. Remember, a well-placed .22 round is infinitely more productive than a bunch of misses from a 45. I've shot the Glock 22 in .40 cal. and really liked it. However, I ultimately decided on a 9mm Sig. The 9mm is a tried and true platform and, at least for me, more enjoyable to shoot than a .40. 9mm ammo used to be much easier (and cheaper) to buy, which can lead to more practice and hence more proficiency. I say used to be because 9mm ammo is now almost as expensive as .40 and is MUCH harder for me to find.

Again, choose what you can/will shoot the most as becoming proficient with a handgun is extremely important. Try to go to a range and rent a few to see what you like the best and what fits your hand the best.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolietGunner View Post
Hey all I have decided to get a gun to protect my family.I will be a first time owner.I am going back and forth on what to buy a 9mm or a .40 is there a big difference?
Go to the range, rent anything and everything you would consider buying. Shoot them all (this can get expensive with the price of ammo right now, but it's better to spend a bit more upfront and get something you will enjoy, than to buy something based on reputation from others only to have to sell later because you hate it) Then, after you've test fired, narrow your selection. I can't even begin to tell you how many idiots go buy a gun with little to no knowledge other than "they heard." Of course, it does help me attain like new handguns at low prices so I can't complain to much. I keep a .45 at my bedside, and a 9mm as my EDC. I'm not really the gun snob type who is finicky about having one type of ammo, or one type of gun. I enjoy the sport fully with all the options available. I've owned just about every established well known manufacturer there is over the years, less the super high price custom stuff.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Ya guys good advice!I will go to the range and rent a bunch to try out.As soon as Illinois gets off their dead butts and send me my FOID!

Old 02-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

A little friendly free advice. Move to another state that doesn't act like Nazi's with firearms.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr