MecGar or Checkmat Mags? SIG ANSWERS THE QUESTION
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > MecGar or Checkmat Mags? SIG ANSWERS THE QUESTION

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default MecGar or Checkmate Mags? SIG ANSWERS THE QUESTION

Just got off the phone with Andy at Sig Sauer in NH. Very friendly and helpful. I asked him whether or not Sig now supplies their pistols with Mec Gars or are they still supplying them with Checkmate?

The answer:

Totally hit/miss and luck of the draw. They have two sources for mags: Checkmate and MecGar and it all comes down to whatever they happen to have on hand "to meet the high demand for pistols and magazines" ... so, if they happen to have Checkmates in stock, those get shipped out with all their pistols, if they happen to have MecGars...yup, you get MecGars.

So, there is NO rhyme or reason to which magazines your Sig Sauer pistol comes with.

Hope that helps settle the "why Checkmate or MecGar" when it comes to what is supplied with your Sig Sauer handgun.

I also politely told him that I and many other SIG owners I'm talking to on various gun forums have had no end of problems with the Checkmate magazines, but that the MecGars work perfectly. He did not really respond, but just said, "We have to use two suppliers to meet demand."

But, at least I told him.

Great conversation. Kudos to Andy at SIG for his professionalism and friendly style and manner. Good customer service goes a long, long way toward building customer loyalty.

Last edited by Amsdorf; 06-27-2013 at 02:28 PM.
buckfynn Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I hope you also mentioned that the Checkmate mags are substandard and there are quite a few ticked of Sig owners.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #3

Yes, I just modified my post to include that part of the conversation. I could tell from his reaction it was not the first time they have had a complain about Checkmate magazines.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf
Yes, I just modified my post to include that part of the conversation. I could tell from his reaction it was not the first time they have had a complain about Checkmate magazines.
They should start making the old Zipper back mags in Germany again. Those were as good or better than the Mec-gar mags. There's your two sources to draw stock from. Bye Bye checkmate.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Andy at Sig Sauer in NH. Very friendly and helpful. I asked him whether or not Sig now supplies their pistols with Mec Gars or are they still supplying them with Checkmate?

The answer:

Totally hit/miss and luck of the draw. They have two sources for mags: Checkmate and MecGar and it all comes down to whatever they happen to have on hand "to meet the high demand for pistols and magazines" ... so, if they happen to have Checkmates in stock, those get shipped out with all their pistols, if they happen to have MecGars...yup, you get MecGars.

So, there is NO rhyme or reason to which magazines your Sig Sauer pistol comes with.

Hope that helps settle the "why Checkmate or MecGar" when it comes to what is supplied with your Sig Sauer handgun.

I also politely told him that I and many other SIG owners I'm talking to on various gun forums have had no end of problems with the Checkmate magazines, but that the MecGars work perfectly. He did not really respond, but just said, "We have to use two suppliers to meet demand."

But, at least I told him.

Great conversation. Kudos to Andy at SIG for his professionalism and friendly style and manner. Good customer service goes a long, long way toward building customer loyalty.
So I got lucky huh? 2 Made In Italy and I've ordered a new extra mag that said they were new "factory" sig magazines so I wonder what kind will that be.. I'll keep you posted

Old 06-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #6

Liked 2384 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 533

There were reported problems with Checkmate mags for Beretta M9 pistols in Iraq and Afghanistan as well. Too thick of a phosphate coat on the inside of the mag body. It would build up grit and bind up the springs. Taking them apart and steel wool scrubbing the inside seemed to help.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Today I received my extra mag I ordered online..I was happy to see it was a New Sig Sauer factory .40/357 mag sealed in plastic and was stamped "made in Italy" ..I'm still check mate free

Old 06-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

if i get a checkmate mag it gets sold at the next gunshow and i turn around and buy a mecgar

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #9

Yup. I understand why!!

Old 06-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5016 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 1495

Thanks for checking with Sig.