Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   SIG Sauer Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f172/)
-   -   How often do you clean your Sig? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f172/how-often-do-you-clean-your-sig-93457/)

HeatSpitta510 07-06-2013 05:25 PM

How often do you clean your Sig?

Just looking for suggestions and tips

Jagermeister 07-06-2013 05:41 PM

I clean my P226, Rosy, the same day I fire her. I give her a good oiling too. I do not use metal brushes though. I clean the barrel with solvent and cotton pads. I love my Rosy and she deserves the extra special attention. Still, the P226 can go through hundreds of rounds without being clean. I have seen less caring owners do this. Lazy, loveless bastards!:D

Axxe55 07-06-2013 06:05 PM

my general rule of thumb is, anytime it's been fired. also occasionally inspect and oil it as needed if stored in a safe an not shot in a while. much better to prevent rust rather than having to get rid of it.

HeatSpitta510 07-06-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister
I clean my P226, Rosy, the same day I fire her. I give her a good oiling too. I do not use metal brushes though. I clean the barrel with solvent and cotton pads. I love my Rosy and she deserves the extra special attention. Still, the P226 can go through hundreds of rounds without being clean. I have seen less caring owners do this. Lazy, loveless bastards!:D

Thanks ..and I'm with you on that, I think I'd love cleaning it almost as much as shooting it LOL

HeatSpitta510 07-06-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55
my general rule of thumb is, anytime it's been fired. also occasionally inspect and oil it as needed if stored in a safe an not shot in a while. much better to prevent rust rather than having to get rid of it.

Thanks ..my 229 is a keeper so taking care of it is a must

SigArmored 07-06-2013 11:40 PM

I agree with both the above.I normally clean after every range trip and depending on how long she's been sitting usually somewhere around the two month mark if she sits that long.If I've been carrying her once a month.

nickel1911 07-07-2013 01:50 AM

I also clean after every use. I don't allow any time for fouling to settle in. I also enjoy cleaning my guns and keeping them in tip-top shape, so it's not a chore for me.

yogiboobooranger 07-07-2013 01:07 PM

Clean and lube and safety check prior to going to the range. Then immediately after returning home, it gets cleaned and lubed and then loaded back up with carry/defense ammo to serve as a carry/home defense weapon. If the gun is not shot after a month, it gets cleaned again and wiped down. That way, I know all of them are in ready to use status with no surprises should their need for use arise!

drvsafe 07-07-2013 01:22 PM

The common response is right after use. And that's the same here. It can go longer than that but why? Unless there is a reason just clean. It after the range. If you can't at the very least run a boresnake thru the barrel and get it done soon after.

armsmaster270 07-07-2013 09:16 PM

As mentioned right after use tear down & thoroughly clean & lube.