Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   SIG Sauer Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f172/)
-   -   Honest thoughts on the Sig P290 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f172/honest-thoughts-sig-p290-76749/)

truevil1313 11-20-2012 12:53 PM

Honest thoughts on the Sig P290

Any Sig P290 owners, I welcome your thoughts on it. Have you had any issues with yours? Would you buy it again?
I currently have three Sigs and love them, but I am looking for a different EDC handgun. For my own reasons, I decided months ago, to leave the expensive 1911's in the safe and start carrying one of my handguns that didn't have a comma in the price tag. I have done my range time with my carry guns, so no issues there. I truly love my SP2022's but after wearing one of them for 11 hours a day, I cant wait to get home and take it off. I was thinking the P290 might be a better fit for all day wear. All helpful comments are welcome.
Thanks.

JonM 11-20-2012 12:59 PM

My favorite lightweight carries are all nonsigs. I do havea p220 thats a great shooting gun. The sig guns lighter and smaller than a p220 just dont fitme well

sweeper22 11-21-2012 08:49 AM

I've shot one, and was generally unimpressed with the size, weight, and ergos. Felt really cheap. I like Sig's full-framed alloy guns. The P239 is the only Sig I'd really love for carry, but it's still somewhat of a medium frame. The SAS/SRT setups for the P239 are outstanding.

I have a Springfield XDs45 and a S&W Shield 9mm as my two micro carry guns. I rummaged through almost everything available in the subcomp/micro market before settling on those two, and I'm quite happy with them.

sparky80 11-21-2012 09:44 PM

Let me put it this way I have a P290RS I'll sell you. I love the stippling on the grip and that is it. I have a shield as well and it's much easier and more comfortable to shoot. The 290 is to large to pocket carry and the grip is really short which makes it hard for me to see it as a IWB gun. The double action trigger is not as smooth as I had hoped and can't shoot it very well. I love Sigs but, not this one. Unfortunately I'll trade it in and probably take a bath. YMMV

FJCRZR66 11-22-2012 02:14 AM

Let me start by saying that I've only been shooting for about 4 months. I currently own a 290RS and had multiple light primer strikes on my first 4 range trips. I sent it back to Sig and they replaced the firing pin on it and had it back to me in about two weeks. Customer service was very helpful and painless. Since getting it back I have put 100 rounds through it with no issues. I personally have no problems with the trigger, it took me a couple of range sessions to get used to it. It is also is very accurate, even for a newbie like myself. I think it's a great little gun. Hope this helps.

truevil1313 11-22-2012 10:41 AM

Thanks for all of the replies.
My problem is, I know what everyone is getting me for Christmas. It is Academy gift cards. I wanted to get the Shield but it seems Academy does not have any, ever. They do have Sigs, and XD and since I have three Sigs already I was leaning that way.
I guess I have about a month to see what happens.

BTW, FJCRZR66, I too drive an FJ. If you are not part of the FJ Cruiser forum check it out. My screen name there is just truevil.

Again, thanks for all of the input, I look forward to seeing more before I spend my gift cards next month.

FJCRZR66 11-22-2012 12:35 PM

Good luck with your search. Thanks, I'll check out that FJ forum.

Cybertek 11-22-2012 08:30 PM

I picked one up a few weeks ago. So far I have 160 rounds through it without a hiccup. I have no issues with the grip or trigger. It's a little big for pocket carry in most of my pants. To me it feels solid and so far has been 100% reliable.

truevil1313 11-23-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybertek (Post 1023791)
I picked one up a few weeks ago. So far I have 160 rounds through it without a hiccup. I have no issues with the grip or trigger. It's a little big for pocket carry in most of my pants. To me it feels solid and so far has been 100% reliable.

Thanks for the input. I do not plan to pocket carry this one, I have a S&W Bodygaurd for that purpose. The P290 would go in an IWB holster at the 4 o'clock position. Do you think it is suitable for that?

FJCRZR66 11-23-2012 12:26 PM

I have a N8 2 IWB for mine and I wear it in the 4 o'clock position. Works great for me.