First time gun owner / Sig229
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > First time gun owner / Sig229

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First time gun owner / Sig229

I decided to exercise my 2nd Amendment right a few weeks ago. After months of research, discussions with friends and coworkers, I ended up with a Sig 229 9mm. I think I should have done more research on the different types of ammo however. Most Internet searches on ammo yield more questions. Is there a resource that "decodes" ammo terminology? You have fmj, parrabellum, Luger, p+, p++, steel jacket, hollow points, hydro shock, etc, etc. I am looking for recommendations for 124g rounds for break in and general target shooting. As far as maintaining my investment, is there preferred cleaning gear / products?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Welcome to FTF. That's a lot of questions to answer. To simplify things a bit I'll say you should read the owners manual. It'll tell you if there is anything you can't run through it. Next I'll suggest fmj's (full metal jackets) for target shooting, they tend to be cheapest. With the way the market is currently though, you should by what you can get your hands on, 9mm is a bit scarce at the moment. Ultimately you will learn what your gun likes based on how it functions. The sigs tend to be good reliable guns so it shouldn't be too picky.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I too would stay with FMJ, I have 3 Sigs, but in .40 S&W and .45 Auto and have no problems with all different makes of ammo. That said I like Winchester White Box for target ammo and no +p or +p+ for the range, it would be a waste. A good reloading data book is a good source of information on ammunition terminology even if you decide not to reload.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #4
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3574 Times on 1986 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Awesome, my first gun was a Sig 226 9mm. It shoots anything I put in it. I can't afford to spend a lot on ammo so I go to Wal Mart and buy the cheapest ammo they have, 115 gr. I just always make sure I clean it every time.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:36 AM   #5

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Nice choice of pistol. My bedside gun is a 226 .40

The 229 9 MM is IMHO, the perfect 9 MM.

For plinking you'll find that 115 grain FMJ is the most affordable.

For a defensive load I'd suggest a good 147 grain JHP "Jacketed Hollow Point".

Heavier bullet = greater stopping power... The only downside is that heavier bullets also = more recoil and while it's quite noticeable in uber compact 9's like my Kahr PM9, it should not be much of a factor in a 229... Good solid gun.

Just be sure to try several different 147 Grain JHP loads to ensure the 1 you select hits POA/POI and functions 100% reliably.

Tack

Old 02-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #6

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

I really can't add to anything here.Great choice on a first firearm.My Sig eats anything I feed her.Now as for cleaning read you're manual and pick up a cleaning kit .You can pick up a kit from ebay pretty cheap.Make sure you get a brush that fits you're barrel.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #7

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

A cheap cleaning kit will work. Just get what they got at Walmart and some hoppes #9 and you should be good.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:50 AM   #8

Thank you for all of the recommendations