You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum >

First Malfunction. What happened?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 163 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default First Malfunction. What happened?

Today I shot 100 rounds thru my P220 Stainless Steel Carry Elite .45 ACP. And after today the gun now has 500 rounds thru it. it performed wonderfully and is accurate.

Today I had one Failure To Feed. It came in at around 60 rounds fired. Its the first and (hopefully) the only hiccup I've ever experienced with this gun.

So, while firing the gun stopped with the slide locked back. I thought that was rather sudden and thought the mag was already empty. I looked down and saw the round slightly canted with nose down. I wanted to drop the mag and clear the gun. The mag was locked in and would not release. I then pulled back on the slide and that chambered the round. After that everything went smoothly.

So what happened here?
dango Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2016, 07:35 PM   #2

Liked 362 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 380

That is probably the most common failure I have and sometimes it is the magazine fit, but based on you running so many rounds through it I would not think it is a mag fit issue. I tend to run my pistols a little on the dry side sometimes, especially if I don't shoot one regularly so when that happens, clean it and pay special attention to the feed ramp and the slide and put a generous amount of oil in those two place...try not to wet the trigger mechanism. Some CLP products claim to be good lubricators and I think they are except they tend to be a little thin on the viscosity so the gun oil helps I think. Others Im sure will share their opinions but that is mine...hope it helps

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
-Albert Einstein
dango Likes This 
Old 08-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #3

Liked 4273 Times on 2480 Posts
Likes Given: 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by armedleo View Post
Today I shot 100 rounds thru my P220 Stainless Steel Carry Elite .45 ACP. And after today the gun now has 500 rounds thru it. it performed wonderfully and is accurate.

Today I had one Failure To Feed. It came in at around 60 rounds fired. Its the first and (hopefully) the only hiccup I've ever experienced with this gun.

So, while firing the gun stopped with the slide locked back. I thought that was rather sudden and thought the mag was already empty. I looked down and saw the round slightly canted with nose down. I wanted to drop the mag and clear the gun. The mag was locked in and would not release. I then pulled back on the slide and that chambered the round. After that everything went smoothly.

So what happened here?
Being a one time occurrence at this point, may make it hard to determine the exact cause. It could be ammo related, such as weaker powder charge on the previous round, causing the slide to cycle at a different rate. Could be a shooter related problem, limp wristed for one shot, rode the slide or slide catch just a bit, or put pressure on the mag. Could be mag related, weak spring or the follower hanging up, preventing cartridge alignment with the feed ramp prior to the slide going forward. It could be any combination of the above at the time.

Dunno, for sure.
People Like This 
Old 08-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #4

Liked 4678 Times on 2568 Posts
Likes Given: 3346

Could have just been an inadvertent limp-wristing on you part.

I'd just forget about it, unless it happens again.
People Like This 
Old 08-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #5

Liked 777 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Factory ammo or handload? Range reloads?

Other possibilities: Out of spec round (too long) or the case has a bulge in it, or the case mouth is insufficiently taper crimped,
People Like This 
Old 08-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #6

Liked 4315 Times on 2515 Posts
Likes Given: 6697

unless it starts to occur at a regular rate, it could be a multitude of things that caused the hiccup. ammo? shooter error? lack of lubrication? gun being dirty?

and unless it does start to happen regularly, it's going to be difficult to isolate and determine the cause of it.

I would start by a good cleaning and lubing of the pistol. check and see what ammo you are using as being a possible bad or defective round. even factory ammo could have a dud occasionally.

with as many rounds as you fired with no problems, I wouldn't put shooter error at the top of that list. but, it can happen even to the best of us occasionally. even with pistols that have no reputation of being bad.
dango Likes This 
Old 08-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #7

Liked 6330 Times on 4167 Posts
Likes Given: 3245

Quote:

So what happened here?
I would have to ask you first - when was the last time the gun was cleaned before it malfunctioned.

Not oiled - scrubbed clean.
People Like This 
Old 08-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 13534 Times on 6967 Posts
Likes Given: 13065

I've had that problem in 1911s a couple of times, and it was always when firing light loads.

GOD BLESS PRESIDENT TRUMP
dango Likes This 
Old 08-06-2016, 09:06 PM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 10127 Times on 5026 Posts
Likes Given: 39071

That model Sig is famously dependable , reliable , 8+1 , beautiful gun ! If it persists , polish feed ramp but I really doubt it will .

Maybe it's the curse ! ..........Hmmmm......like the infamous Glock , they shoot people for no reason , just "BLAM" mind of their own , Eeeeeek !
Best not take chances , send it to me , I'll fame the beast ....!

Old 08-06-2016, 09:15 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1844 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:

So what happened here?
You got a sig, and not a Glock
dango Likes This