Ever have your gun work on by Sig Sauer?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > Ever have your gun work on by Sig Sauer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Ever have your gun work on by Sig Sauer?

Hello all,
Has anyone had their pistol serviced by Sig Sauer? I've checked their website and it seems they offer tune-ups and refinishing services. Wondering about the process and the turn around time, as I've never sent a pistol out to be serviced before. Any one have any experience with this? Any info is appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #2

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Im a gunsmith. Anlot of weapon companies want to do the work on thier own guns. You will pay them about the same money you would pay someone like me. Turn around time is generally around 2 to 3 weeks. Specify what you want done. If your going to send it in habe them do an action or trigger job. Well worth the extra money.

Any local gunsmith can do the job as well and as good as they can. Check prices and wait time with sig ornyour local gunsmith. Im pulling for the local gunsmith.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiep View Post
Im a gunsmith. Anlot of weapon companies want to do the work on thier own guns. You will pay them about the same money you would pay someone like me. Turn around time is generally around 2 to 3 weeks. Specify what you want done. If your going to send it in habe them do an action or trigger job. Well worth the extra money.

Any local gunsmith can do the job as well and as good as they can. Check prices and wait time with sig ornyour local gunsmith. Im pulling for the local gunsmith.
Good suggestion jimmiep also the cost of shipping "to and from" can be pricey... you don't have that cost to consider if you go to your local gunsmith

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiep

That's usually the route I take. Any work that I can't or am not willing to do myself, I'll take it to my local gunsmith. I never really thought of, or had the need to send my firearm off in mail to a smith. What caught my eye on their website was their refinishing for their all stainless steel models. I just picked up a used p220 stainless carry elite that has a small crescent shaped scratch from the decocking lever. The scratch doesn't bother me all that much but as I was doing my research on whether I could buff it out myself, I bumped into their service offerings. Also, being as it's used, they offer a tune-up that changes all of the springs, completely strips down the gun and inspects all of its components for excessive wear, completely cleans it and lubes it and changes out the old sig night sights for new ones.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Gunsmithing

Sounds like some good info and advise. I would recommend using FEDX over UPS. Some UPS stores have restrictions on shipping firearms. I have two Sig 229's and love them both. Dogwalk

Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalk
Sounds like some good info and advise. I would recommend using FEDX over UPS. Some UPS stores have restrictions on shipping firearms. I have two Sig 229's and love them both. Dogwalk
Thanks Dogwalk

Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 82 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

One of my Sig 226 just landed in Exeter for the St. Patrick's Day special (SRT and Action job + overhaul & new night sights (the old ones don't shine no mo')).

Part of the deal was "VIP shipping" where they send you a FedEx label for two day shipping (it goes two day both ways). Put the gun in the case/ box, put the box in a shipping box (sturdy cardboard, not a shoebox) strap on the supplied label (a .PDF via email) and drop it off to a box or shipping center.

Time quoted was 3-6 weeks.

One of the advantages of having the factory do the work is for legal defense reasons, and it keeps the "Limited Lifetime Warranty" intact.

Sometimes it's hard to find a good gunsmith. I figure the factory has a boatload of them (or can at least fix any screwups they make).

Old 03-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac
One of my Sig 226 just landed in Exeter for the St. Patrick's Day special (SRT and Action job + overhaul & new night sights (the old ones don't shine no mo')).

Part of the deal was "VIP shipping" where they send you a FedEx label for two day shipping (it goes two day both ways). Put the gun in the case/ box, put the box in a shipping box (sturdy cardboard, not a shoebox) strap on the supplied label (a .PDF via email) and drop it off to a box or shipping center.

Time quoted was 3-6 weeks.

One of the advantages of having the factory do the work is for legal defense reasons, and it keeps the "Limited Lifetime Warranty" intact.

Sometimes it's hard to find a good gunsmith. I figure the factory has a boatload of them (or can at least fix any screwups they make).
Sounds like a good deal scottmac. Interested in knowing how everything turns out. Please keep us posted on your results

Old 03-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I recently bought a Sig P6 that was in really good shape but I wanted to have some work done to it. I sent it in to have the Full Service Package done, the slide and barrel refinished. They emailed me a shipping label, took it to FedEx and sent it off. A week after they received it, it was on its way back to me. The gun looked great, they replaced the firing pin, extractor, main spring, sear, and the hammer reset spring. I would highly recommend having it done.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I forgot to add, Sig included a new hard case with my gun when they shipped it back to me. That was a nice surprise.