Dry Fire - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > Dry Fire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2740 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman69 View Post
I was told to never dry fire a .22. Has that changed?
Yes & no. For the vast majority of .22s that is true.
However, if anyone has figured out how to disassemble a Ruger MK3 (see manual, disassembly, step 1.) without dry firing, I'd be happy to hear about it. But then, the design of the bolt/firing pin assembly takes this into account. Even then, this is only for disassembly/ reassembly. Extensive dry fire practice is another matter entirely. The design doesn't look so robust to where I'd try it.
If your (rimfire) gun's owners manual doesn't say specifically that you can dry fire, don't.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 09-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #12

Liked 1116 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I have dry fired guns -- rifles and pistols -- for decades with no harm to any gun. Now, I don't do it excessively, like dry fire practice - but I don't believe the occasional "snap" will harm most guns.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts

As far as dry firing not necessarly 22lr but any rimfire, if you have to take the gun apart fine. I would probably put a fired case in the chamber and use that as a snap cap. But you shouldn't dry fire a rimfire if you can help it. The firing pin is position to strike the rim of the case and if there is no case there it can strike the edge of the chamber and can cause it to deform from the firing pin strikes. Most any modern centerfires it should be just fine to dry fire. Competition shooters dry fire their guns hundreds of thousand times. I'm sure there are other opinions but thats mine.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 09-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2740 Times on 1362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post
As far as dry firing not necessarly 22lr but any rimfire, if you have to take the gun apart fine. I would probably put a fired case in the chamber and use that as a snap cap. But you shouldn't dry fire a rimfire if you can help it. The firing pin is position to strike the rim of the case and if there is no case there it can strike the edge of the chamber and can cause it to deform from the firing pin strikes. Most any modern centerfires it should be just fine to dry fire. Competition shooters dry fire their guns hundreds of thousand times. I'm sure there are other opinions but thats mine.
For the sake of greater clarity:
FWIW, the design in the Ruger Mk3 halts the forward progress of the firing pin so that it will not (in theory) strike the chamber face...assuming everything is in good working order.
It bugs the hell out of me, but it's in the book.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 09-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
For the sake of greater clarity:
FWIW, the design in the Ruger Mk3 halts the forward progress of the firing pin so that it will not (in theory) strike the chamber face...assuming everything is in good working order.
It bugs the hell out of me, but it's in the book.
You actually read the instruction manual? Dang!!! I might ought to try that.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis