DA/SA over DAO
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > DA/SA over DAO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default DA/SA over DAO

Are there any benefits to DA/SA over DAO? Been looking at a P229 but can't see why it would be better than a Glock for EDC.

No disrespect to the Sig fans I think they are great pistol also.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 796

The main benefit to SA/DA is you don't have to worry about Glock leg.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 02-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If someone draws from the holster with a DA/SA with their finger on the trigger prematurely I would think they can still shoot themselves no?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #4

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Mega
If someone draws from the holster with a DA/SA with their finger on the trigger prematurely I would think they can still shoot themselves no?
Shouldn't be in SA to begin with. The DA acts as a safety enough with the trigger pull weight.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #5

Liked 517 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I can't speak for SIGs but my preference is the DA/SA setup. A lot of people make a big deal about consistent trigger pull but I learned on a DA/SA and I don't find the training issue to be a big deal.

A proper DAO, in my opinion, is not a full strength revolver style trigger pull but should still be more pressure than a standard SA trigger pull. This is why I prefer DA/SA though. DA should be like pulling the trigger on a revolver, thus the safety of leaving the hammer down. The SA trigger pull for follow up shots should be light. The trouble is the initial first shot placement is more difficult. I train this way though and have learned to compensate.

If I wanted a DAO handgun it would be tough for me to overlook some dedicated designed specifically for DAO handguns like Glocks, the S&W M&P series, or Springfield XD's. SIGs are awesome but why bother with DAO on one?

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 02-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

My preference is a gun with da/sa action or a sa with a grip safety. Mainly for that heavy first round trigger pull or having to properly grip the gun to get the trigger to work.

I have one dao gun its my little ruger lcp but unlike most dao guns the trigger is heavy enough to prevent nd's in most hurried situations.

I have shot some sig dao and the triggers are far too light for my tastes on first round, might as well carry a sig in sa mode.

Just personal tastes and what i train with

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #7

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I prefer DAO or SAO in everything. I do NOT like a heavy, long, DA pull, and then short, light SA pulls after that.

I personally will refuse to ever own a DA/SA gun, unless it's either given to me, or just simply too good of a deal to pass up, at which point I would be getting it to sell at a profit.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #8

Liked 4986 Times on 2415 Posts
Likes Given: 1591

It comes down to preference... and what works for you. DA/SA works well for many people but I prefer a consistant trigger pull in an EDC pistol.

I find that with every DA/SA I've owned, I must re-grip the pistol when transitioning between DA mode and SA mode because the triggers of these guns drops to the rear considerably after the first shot.

The "proper" grip places the pad of the trigger finger on the face off the trigger "which is fully forward" in DA mode.

I find that once I've fired that initial shot and the pistol has cycled onto SA mode, the "drop back" of the triggers position now places it at the joint of my trigger finger necessitating the "re-grip".

The bigger question is "what works" for you and what system "are you" comfortable with?

Good Luck

Tack