Custom P938 Grips - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > Custom P938 Grips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 927 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 576

Quote:
I really owe you one man!
LOL, no prob. The chestnut ones......interesting. Not sure the wood goes with the gun. Which was my guess when I sent you the wood in the 1st place. They ARE unique, and I suspect they might grow on me.......nice grain, though, huh?

Old 06-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #52
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

You know, after all the woods I've seen on the frame, I've noticed the darker colors look far better than the lighter stuff. I honestly don't like the light colored woods at all. The lightest I'd go would be the paduk and bloodwood. Anyway, here's a set of Matte Cocobolo I just shipped out from an ebay sale. I actually also just got an order from an old fellow down in TX. He is quite the fan of exotic woods, told me he has his canes specially made for him fom great looking stuff, Bacote, Osage Orange, Lemonwood, Cocobolo and a few others. (He had a stroke and never regained use of his left leg) He wants to purchase several sets. We are starting with an ebony set, and going from there. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you sending me that wood, it really motivated me to push this further, and it's led to an enjoyable hobby that makes me a little coin during my unemployment. After you gave me the critique I felt much more comfortable selling them. I also have a set going out this week to Trip286 on this forum for his female companion. Its the Honduran set with brass inserts. That's a steel wool rubbed polyurethane finish, I was pleasantly surprised how well it came out.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 06-03-2013, 04:38 AM   #53

Oops, forgot the freakin pictures!

For those wondering about the spots that look like "holes," that's just the way some woods have voids in the grain. Almost impossible to make them fully disappear.

938cocoboloflatleftinstalled.jpg   938cocoboloflatrightinstalled.jpg  

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #54

I'm glad I could be so much help. If you want, I'll keep an eye out in the shop for more scraps, and send them along when I get a few.Pieces that small I don't know what to do with......

Old 06-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I'm glad I could be so much help. If you want, I'll keep an eye out in the shop for more scraps, and send them along when I get a few.Pieces that small I don't know what to do with......
That'd be awesome. Those little blanks you sent were perfect for me. Basically what I start with is about 4" long by 2-2.5" wide and just over 1/4 thick. I have been having some issues out of the urethane gloss finish lately, it wants to have very small air bubbles constantly. I changed brushes, foam and natural bristle, changed urethane brands, and moved all my change to a different pocket with my hat around backwards and standing on leg but none of it worked.
Any ideas?

Old 06-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #56

Temperature? I had a similar issue over the winter with my NC Lacquer. Pretty much went away when it got warm....
Too thick? Maybe it skims before the bubbles have a chance to come out.
Minwax brand? That stuff sucks.

To be honest, I have completely stopped using urethane of any kind. I hate it. It gives me more problems that it solves. I like the oil that you use. This past weekend, I met a guy who turns bowls and wine bottle stoppers. Everything he makes out of walnut, he finishes with walnut oil. It looked nice.....

Old 03-17-2014, 04:24 AM   #57

I've had a lot of folks PM'ing me recently asking if I was still doing the grips. The answer is yes I am still doing them. I've started using more exotic woods and some crazy grains of late, but I can still do any wood. Here's some of the most recent sets;

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I have done a couple hundred sets at this point. A big thanks to clr8ter as he is the one who got me to start making them to begin with. Custom Maple and Box Elder burls seem to be the most popular by a long shot in the stabilized woods, Arizona Ironwood is about the best domestic wood. They really can personalize a gun quite well though. Now if only I could manage to learn checkering!

Last edited by GeneralPatton; 03-17-2014 at 04:29 AM.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:50 AM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 944 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Very nice! I'm guessing you have a good source for wood stabilizing? Were a couple of those buckeye burl? I don't make grips but buckeye burl is one of my favorites for my pen making.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 03-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #59

Holy Crap! Those are some nice grips, GenP! Glad to see you started using stabilized wood. What do you think about it? I have never tried making anything with that stuff. Are you still not interested in working with G-10 or Micarta? Also, are you making any grips for other guns?

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner View Post
Very nice! I'm guessing you have a good source for wood stabilizing? Were a couple of those buckeye burl? I don't make grips but buckeye burl is one of my favorites for my pen making.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
I think one of those was buckeye burl. I buy my wood from guy up in NJ who buys bulk lots, has it stabilized and cuts it into a pair of blanks. I probably pay a little more than I would if I did all the work on my own, but I don't have have to deal with cutting to find the grains I like or stabilization buying from him. He also gives me a quite nice deal for buying several sets at a time. At this point, I can't keep up with the pace that they sell so having more wood wouldn't really benefit me.