Custom P938 Grips - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > Custom P938 Grips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I think you are offering a very fair deal. If I were not a woodworker myself, and if I did not really like the stock rosewood grips it came with, i'd be alll over this. Upon further reflection, though, I was wondering; will some of the softer woods (walnut?) hold up ok, or will they ding easily? and as I wrte this, it occurs to me that some pistols come with Walnut grips. (This is only the second gun I've had that has wood grips, so I'm not too familiar....)
I have heard the same things in the past about other types I was going to use. I made a set of 1911 grips out of Cedar and they look great, but I only used them as presentation grips, I never fired it with those installed. The Walnut isn't that soft, I think it would stand up fine. The cocobolo is, heh, it's like sanding down granite rock. Takes forever. The bocote seems soft, but I've seen where many folks have used it in the past so it must hold up at least fairly well.

One other thing here guys. Most of you have probably never looked, but sig actually has some raised sections where the grips mount to the frame. In order to make them fit correctly it requires shaving out a couple sections so that they will sit flush. I will say, that given the tools I have (we are talking a dremel tool here, nothing like what the big production companies use) it may not look really pro on the back, though no one will ever see that. I'll post of a picture to show you what I mean.

I can finish the backs a bit better than that, however I don't spend all that much time on the back sides.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Last edited by GeneralPatton; 02-23-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:18 AM   #32

clr8ter, I've tried to PM you a couple times, your inbox is full.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #33

So tonight I took a set to the range, popped off a quick 100 rounds to check durability. They held up perfectly. This set doesn't have a finish on them yet, I just grabbed them for testing purposes. Just so happened the local gunsmith came in while I was there. He complimented me on the work which is quite helpful to me as someone who is always critical of his own work.

coco938left.jpg   coco938right.jpg  

Old 03-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 929 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 581

Looks good so far. Which wood is that?

Old 03-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #35

That's a cocobolo set I had been working on prior to the paduk set currently in the works. I wanted to be sure that before I sent anyone anything that they would take the stress from normal usage. I put 80 rounds through it normally, then I sent 20 rounds down range rapid fire. Wanted to make sure there was no binding or hindered action with them. I almost wanted to just leave these on mine, but they need some sort of finish first.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:57 AM   #36

These are purpleheart with no oil or finish yet applied.

purpleheartleftunfinished.jpg   purpleheartrightunfinished.jpg  

Old 03-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #37

Liked 929 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 581

Those look nice, too. Are they from the blanks I sent?

Old 03-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Those look nice, too. Are they from the blanks I sent?
That they are. While putzing around waiting on the oil to soak in the Paduk ones I decided to buzz out another pair. I also had started a set in Black Palm but that wood is not very friendly to work with and it tends to splinter off in the worst places, at the worst times. For as awesome as it would look finished, I've had 3 different ones splinter in late stage sanding in a way that ruined them.

As you can see in the picture, I just laid it on top of the factory grip to show it with the gun. No finish on it, the lighter sections darken up quite a bit when oiled.
blackpalm938unfinished.jpg  

Old 05-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #39

If you guys want to see anymore I have a couple more I recently finished I can post

Old 05-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #40

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'd be interested in seeing more of your grips, if you wouldn't mind please.