Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > Custom P938 Grips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 03:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Those look amazing. I know we butted heads in another post but would you think about maybe making me a set? Could you do any kind of checkering on them?

My 938 loves tulla by the way lol

Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #12

Liked 910 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 564

^^^^^LOL, UhOh.

Yeah, I could be like that, too but I won't let myself. I simply could not function.....

Old 02-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Here's a couple more that I have in the works. The first is a set of Walnut, and the second is a set of cocobolo. The guys told me when I bought it that cocobolo dust particles were respiratory irritants, and I told them they were just pussies. They were right, friggin sneezing and runny nose the whole time I was sanding them. Good thing is, it's only the sanding dust that does it, not the wood itself. These have been cut to the correct pattern, done about 90% of the sanding, and I applied a coat of oil last night. I still have some sanding to do, and to decide if I want them to have a matte or gloss finish. They look like glossy and matte spots in the pictures because they were partially still wet this morning.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

DoyleTheDog Likes This 
Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #14

I have heard that some of those exotic tropical woods are also potentially carcinogens.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I have heard that some of those exotic tropical woods are also potentially carcinogens.
It wouldn't surprise me. I'll probably drop dead next week. Would be just my luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4
Those look amazing. I know we butted heads in another post but would you think about maybe making me a set? Could you do any kind of checkering on them?
It's possible. Of course, there is an additional fee if you are going to use Tula while they are installed.
I've not yet learned checkering. I'll have to find some tools for it and get a little practice in before I start doing that on grips for sale though. At this point I'd say I'd only make smooth finish for others.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:50 AM   #16

Here they are little further along, and on the 938. First two are the Walnut, second two are the Cocobolo. They have been oiled one time at this point. I did some more sanding on the Walnut, so the finish is uneven on them at the time of the photo. The cocobolo wood doesn't really take to well to oil....it's a naturally oily wood to begin with, but it did darken up a bit from the natural color. (to me, the cocobolo looks very similar to the Rosewood grips, minus the checkering anyway) This is the point where I have to decide if they should have a matte finish or gloss. What do you think?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #17

I like the 2nd set, they do look like the rosewood grips it comes with. I'd keep them matte...

Old 02-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #18

Quote:
I like the 2nd set, they do look like the rosewood grips it comes with. I'd keep them matte...
I kinda prefer the matte finish myself. I have a matte clear coat that ads a decent amount of hardness to the finish. I'll tell you one thing though, you do learn quite a lot about grips when you make a couple sets. 1/10th of an inch doesn't sound like much, but it can be the difference between a comfortable grip and a horrible one.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:43 AM   #19

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

hey General Patron, do you do any grips for the P238? i i HATE the plastic grips that they come with so i ordered a nice set from rhinotech that actually look really good. i was just wondering about a backup pair or just switch them out completely. thanks.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 AM   #20

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that nothing on this earth is NOT lethal in the right amounts. Overexposure to the sun can cause skin cancer...to much sunscreen can cause breast cancer (or used to). Anything inhaled through the lungs can cause lung cancer. Too much alcohol damages the liver. Smoking, dipping, chewing... Sugar can lead to obesity, can lead to diabetes, can lead to heart disease, leads to death. High fructose corn syrup: the subject of health campaigns lately, and the corn/agriculture industry fighting back with their ads "just like sugar, it's fine in moderation"... Of course it is. High fat foods lead to myriad health and cardio problems. A water bottle left in the sun releases carcinogens into it's contents. Cell phones, PDAs, laptops... Eye problems, carpal tunnel, brain tumors....

Tomorrow I'm having two places removed from my neck that my doctor thinks MAY be carcinomas (cancers). I'm only 28 years old. Many of my friends have been battling cancers, tumors, polyps, and whatnots within their digestive tract, linked to irradiated water we were given in Afghanistan. I drank as much of it as anyone else.

Guess what? I'll still be playing in the sun all summer long on the boat too.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just upset. I always hear, "that stuff can kill you", everywhere I turn. I refuse to live in fear of living.