Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > Contast v. Night sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts

Default Contast v. Night sights

I'm purchasing a SP2022 9mm next week and was still unsure which sights to get. What are your thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #2

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Night sights are great but you pay a premium for them. My theory is that night sights are a self defense tool. in most self defense situations, the sights don't even get used. If you think it is something that you want to try, go for it. I just have never been able to justify having them.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts

Thanks for the input!

Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #4

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Better to have and not need.......... well you know how it goes.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1324 Times on 919 Posts
Likes Given: 649

You may have made up your mind by now, but just in case consider an opposing view. Night sights are of no help in range practice or competition. Contrast sights allow faster target acquisition in most situations. Night sights, btw, are no longer premium in the SIG pistols.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
You may have made up your mind by now, but just in case consider an opposing view. Night sights are of no help in range practice or competition. Contrast sights allow faster target acquisition in most situations. Night sights, btw, are no longer premium in the SIG pistols.
What? What does no longer premium in the SIG pistols mean? They have always been an extra bell and whistle. My 1911 which is a sig as well has adjustable combat night sights. I dont believe that nights sight hinder sight acquisition but can actual help to make sure the pistol is being held level which can be sometimes difficult for some. I can say that the most accurate pistol I ever had was also a sig and did not have night sights but it did cost almost 3 grand.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2191 Times on 1213 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Night sights are a must in low light unless you like holding a flashlight by your neck/head with your off hand and taking clumsy shots. It sucks. Even inside of 7 yards. I've missed quite a few varmints and a couple of snakes because I grabbed a gun without night sights. Even at point blank range with a fat, sick old raccoon it took 3 shots and the first missed by 2 feet. I have contrast sights on that gun and there was a streetlight nearby. Don't let these guys kid you. Anything after dusk without night sights requires either Jedi powers or dumb luck and being backlit (which means you are a silhouette yourself... Bad juju.).

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-24-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #8

I prefer night sights if I ever plan on carrying it for self defense and if I carry it for self defense I prefer a set of laser grips as well. To each their own, I see no disadvantages to night sights.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1324 Times on 919 Posts
Likes Given: 649

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner View Post
What? What does no longer premium in the SIG pistols mean? They have always been an extra bell and whistle. My 1911 which is a sig as well has adjustable combat night sights. I dont believe that nights sight hinder sight acquisition but can actual help to make sure the pistol is being held level which can be sometimes difficult for some. I can say that the most accurate pistol I ever had was also a sig and did not have night sights but it did cost almost 3 grand.
Not anymore. Many P-series SIGs come with night sights, standard. I paid the same for my 2022 with 3 dots. You realize we are talking fixed night sights, right? Night sights don't hinder anything. They are just smaller. For quick engagement, larger and brighter sights do help.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2191 Times on 1213 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator

Not anymore. Many P-series SIGs come with night sights, standard. I paid the same for my 2022 with 3 dots. You realize we are talking fixed night sights, right? Night sights don't hinder anything. They are just smaller. For quick engagement, larger and brighter sights do help.
In case anybody's confused on this:

image-138422434.jpg
Glock 22, Tritium night sights, low light

image-4248381076.jpg
Glock 22, Tritium night sights, fluorescent light

image-3885226817.jpg
Sig Contrast Sights

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-24-2013 at 08:29 PM.