Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > Contast v. Night sights

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
seibert1903's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 66
Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts

Default Contast v. Night sights

I'm purchasing a SP2022 9mm next week and was still unsure which sights to get. What are your thoughts?

__________________
seibert1903 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 09-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
magnumman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 544
Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Night sights are great but you pay a premium for them. My theory is that night sights are a self defense tool. in most self defense situations, the sights don't even get used. If you think it is something that you want to try, go for it. I just have never been able to justify having them.

__________________
magnumman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
seibert1903's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 66
Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Thanks for the input!

__________________
seibert1903 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 742
Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Default

Better to have and not need.......... well you know how it goes.

__________________
GunRunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,515
Liked 1324 Times on 919 Posts
Likes Given: 649

Default

You may have made up your mind by now, but just in case consider an opposing view. Night sights are of no help in range practice or competition. Contrast sights allow faster target acquisition in most situations. Night sights, btw, are no longer premium in the SIG pistols.

__________________
Mercator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 742
Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
You may have made up your mind by now, but just in case consider an opposing view. Night sights are of no help in range practice or competition. Contrast sights allow faster target acquisition in most situations. Night sights, btw, are no longer premium in the SIG pistols.
What? What does no longer premium in the SIG pistols mean? They have always been an extra bell and whistle. My 1911 which is a sig as well has adjustable combat night sights. I dont believe that nights sight hinder sight acquisition but can actual help to make sure the pistol is being held level which can be sometimes difficult for some. I can say that the most accurate pistol I ever had was also a sig and did not have night sights but it did cost almost 3 grand.
__________________
GunRunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 2,937
Liked 2191 Times on 1213 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Default

Night sights are a must in low light unless you like holding a flashlight by your neck/head with your off hand and taking clumsy shots. It sucks. Even inside of 7 yards. I've missed quite a few varmints and a couple of snakes because I grabbed a gun without night sights. Even at point blank range with a fat, sick old raccoon it took 3 shots and the first missed by 2 feet. I have contrast sights on that gun and there was a streetlight nearby. Don't let these guys kid you. Anything after dusk without night sights requires either Jedi powers or dumb luck and being backlit (which means you are a silhouette yourself... Bad juju.).

__________________
Quote:
Nobody on this thread licked anybody's bodypart.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-24-2013 at 07:52 PM.
DeltaF is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 742
Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Default

I prefer night sights if I ever plan on carrying it for self defense and if I carry it for self defense I prefer a set of laser grips as well. To each their own, I see no disadvantages to night sights.

__________________
GunRunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,515
Liked 1324 Times on 919 Posts
Likes Given: 649

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner View Post
What? What does no longer premium in the SIG pistols mean? They have always been an extra bell and whistle. My 1911 which is a sig as well has adjustable combat night sights. I dont believe that nights sight hinder sight acquisition but can actual help to make sure the pistol is being held level which can be sometimes difficult for some. I can say that the most accurate pistol I ever had was also a sig and did not have night sights but it did cost almost 3 grand.
Not anymore. Many P-series SIGs come with night sights, standard. I paid the same for my 2022 with 3 dots. You realize we are talking fixed night sights, right? Night sights don't hinder anything. They are just smaller. For quick engagement, larger and brighter sights do help.
__________________
Mercator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 2,937
Liked 2191 Times on 1213 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator

Not anymore. Many P-series SIGs come with night sights, standard. I paid the same for my 2022 with 3 dots. You realize we are talking fixed night sights, right? Night sights don't hinder anything. They are just smaller. For quick engagement, larger and brighter sights do help.
In case anybody's confused on this:


image-138422434.jpg
Glock 22, Tritium night sights, low light

image-4248381076.jpg
Glock 22, Tritium night sights, fluorescent light

image-3885226817.jpg
Sig Contrast Sights
__________________
Quote:
Nobody on this thread licked anybody's bodypart.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-24-2013 at 08:29 PM.
DeltaF is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
what night sights? SigArmored 1911 Forum 3 07-16-2013 09:47 PM
PK-380 Night Sights? Coyotenator Firearm Accessories & Gear 0 01-18-2013 01:18 AM
Best Night Sights? CharlieRedleg Optics & Mounts 15 05-03-2012 11:45 AM
Night Sights? NGIB General Handgun Discussion 38 07-08-2010 01:16 AM
Xdm 40 night sights. NICMG XD Forum 2 01-08-2010 06:00 AM