Cleaning Tips - P229 / P238
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > Cleaning Tips - P229 / P238

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Default Cleaning Tips - P229 / P238

I recently picked up these to particular guns. I am about to go take them out for a bit of target shooting. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for cleaning them? If anyone has anything that they have had to troubleshoot that might be helpful then I thank you in advance.

image-1060508735.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2013, 03:15 AM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Only field strip it unless you know what you're doing and keep oil on the slide rails. But those are general semi auto pistol rules.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:46 AM   #3

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

I run my P229 (.40 S&W and conversions to .357 sig and the extra slide and mags for 9mm) with frog lube and have not any probs yet.

Get used to the breakdown all you want. You'll have to do it anyway. It's also not like it is a super difficult or in depth take down. I would also clean the factory gunk off and run whatever lube you want(I hate the factory crap). But that is just me.

I haven't had any FTF's at all for my P229 and have run around 4-5k rounds through it, mostly of hand loads. It loves 165 gr JHP's in .40 . It's the SAS E2 model(no rail).

A co-worker has the P938 and it is smooth. (It's kind of like the 238, just in a 9mm instead if .380 hehe).

Grats on the purchases. You'll love these two guns and they will bring a lot of joy .

Old 11-05-2013, 04:08 AM   #4

Thanks. When it came to handguns I had only had a revolver. This was my first run with semi autos. Took them out and ran different ammo through them to see what they liked (or what I stayed steady shooting), took them home and gave them a good clean. It was a lot simpler than I had expected. Thanks for replying!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by activereality
I haven't had any FTF's at all for my P229 and have run around 4-5k rounds through it, mostly of hand loads. It loves 165 gr JHP's in .40 .
That's pretty impressive. I got the rails and anywhere where it looked like there are moving parts. What about the hard to reach spots down around between the hammer and frame in there? I didn't want to gunk it up with lube and catch a bunch of dirt in there since it's hard to get to. I didn't want to rip things apart besides the basic disassembly until I really know what I'm doing.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_6Shooter
That's pretty impressive. I got the rails and anywhere where it looked like there are moving parts. What about the hard to reach spots down around between the hammer and frame in there? I didn't want to gunk it up with lube and catch a bunch of dirt in there since it's hard to get to. I didn't want to rip things apart besides the basic disassembly until I really know what I'm doing.
I'm a Marine, so my logic may be flawed(disclaimer hehe). If you are going to go with a wet lube, get it all wet. It will build up some debris, but that is normal. That just means you get to scrub it down more often=love lol. I used to run my guns(while active duty) to the point all internal components almost had a sheen of lube, then lightly wipe them down, assemble and go to town. Keeping a bit of extra lube on the BCG(Bolt Carrier Group).

On pistols I did the same. Break it down. Scrub it with a nylon brush and whatever kind of lube you want until the brush almost looks clean again. Means the guns should be gtg. Make sure to scrub in those hard to reach places(just like mom used to yell at ya). There are very few surfaces that don't benefit from at least a little lube. Like areas that see no movement and such.

Others may disagree. But I really don't think there is "too much lubrication". But you will get to the point when you fire the gun you are sprayed with lube, which isn't ideal but doesn't really hurt anything(eye-pro right lol) I'd count this under "diminishing returns for a lubricated gun". Hehe.

I have been running Frog Lube in my pistols and rifles for almost a year I think, and it is great. It's a dry lube. So no wetness transfer under touching or rubbing(makes it great for EDC CC). The lube extrudes from the metal surfaces when it gets hot, like while firing. And then sinks back in afterwards. Also makes cleaning a breeze. Dry brush and some wipe down pads and gtg, carbon build up is very minimal.

In the end though, to each their own. We all have our own rituals and such for cleaning, or even not cleaning and running something hard until it jams lol. The most important part of cleaning, in my opinion, is the inspection portion of the cleaning. When you break everything down to clean it, inspect the crap out of it. If something doesn't look right look it up in the manual, online, or anywhere else. Get familiar enough with your guns and the basic breakdown of them that you can catch these things. You will probably never to doors than remove the slide, "main springs"(different guns got different stuff), and the barrel. If it gets deeper than that, it's up to you and what you are comfortable with(resources are everywhere though).

Above all else enjoy. Keep em running hard. Guns are made to shoot. So closet queens are nice. But bad ass training b!7h3$ need be to run hard, hot, and put through the ringer lol. None of the guns I own "sits" idle. I run them. Some have some scratches from training(i do not condone purposely scratching a gun to make it look used lol). But mine are definitely not "range queens". :: the previous was a personal opinion haha.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by activereality
I'm a Marine, so my logic may be flawed(disclaimer hehe). If you are going to go with a wet lube, get it all wet. It will build up some debris, but that is normal. That just means you get to scrub it down more often=love lol. I used to run my guns(while active duty) to the point all internal components almost had a sheen of lube, then lightly wipe them down, assemble and go to town. Keeping a bit of extra lube on the BCG(Bolt Carrier Group). On pistols I did the same. Break it down. Scrub it with a nylon brush and whatever kind of lube you want until the brush almost looks clean again. Means the guns should be gtg. Make sure to scrub in those hard to reach places(just like mom used to yell at ya). There are very few surfaces that don't benefit from at least a little lube. Like areas that see no movement and such. Others may disagree. But I really don't think there is "too much lubrication". But you will get to the point when you fire the gun you are sprayed with lube, which isn't ideal but doesn't really hurt anything(eye-pro right lol) I'd count this under "diminishing returns for a lubricated gun". Hehe. I have been running Frog Lube in my pistols and rifles for almost a year I think, and it is great. It's a dry lube. So no wetness transfer under touching or rubbing(makes it great for EDC CC). The lube extrudes from the metal surfaces when it gets hot, like while firing. And then sinks back in afterwards. Also makes cleaning a breeze. Dry brush and some wipe down pads and gtg, carbon build up is very minimal. In the end though, to each their own. We all have our own rituals and such for cleaning, or even not cleaning and running something hard until it jams lol. The most important part of cleaning, in my opinion, is the inspection portion of the cleaning. When you break everything down to clean it, inspect the crap out of it. If something doesn't look right look it up in the manual, online, or anywhere else. Get familiar enough with your guns and the basic breakdown of them that you can catch these things. You will probably never to do more than remove the slide, "main springs"(different guns got different stuff), and the barrel. If it gets deeper than that, it's up to you and what you are comfortable with(resources are everywhere though). Above all else enjoy. Keep em running hard. Guns are made to shoot. So closet queens are nice. But bad a$$ training b!7h3$ need be to run hard, hot, and put through the ringer lol. None of the guns I own "sits" idle. I run them. Some have some scratches from training(i do not condone purposely scratching a gun to make it look used lol). But mine are definitely not "range queens". :: the previous was a personal opinion haha.
Edited: fixed a slipped expletive(sorry mods my bad) and corrected a few "auto-corrected" words.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #8

So you're saying I shouldn't scratch it up and beat it up to make it look like it's really been used??? Dang! Good advice though and you're right. I'm out in the country so going target shooting is more of a viable option than going shopping (unless for more ammo) so I'm sure they will get plenty of use!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #9

Woot. Sounds like a good time. I've thought about getting a stiffer spring for the .357 Sig barrel. It's a bit snappy. The .40 S&W and 9mm aren't bad at all. I've done almost 800 rounds of .40 in a day before. Lots of fun.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #10
RUT
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

>>I'm a Marine, so my logic may be flawed<<

Hey, don't let the ghost of Chesty Puller hear you say that Marine!